The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2007, 03:28 PM   #1
lonehawk

hornady / strong mount

Hello, I just up graded to a hornady lock and load AP from an old rock chucker single stage.. Has anyone modified a Dillon strong mount to use with this press or made something like it? Seems like a good idea.

Thanks
Lonehawk

Last edited by lonehawk; December 16, 2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old December 16, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2
ear-ingun

"up graded to a hornady lock and load AP" with "strong mount"
Just how do you figure that it's an upgrade????
How do you figure it's even needed?

IMHO the strong mont is not needed on my dillon, and it certainly isn't needed on my Hornady LNL Progressive.
Old December 18, 2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Walipala

Just my opinion, but I'd call his move from a SS press to a progressive a definite upgrade.

As for whether or not a Strong Mount is "needed", that all depends on the situation. What it does is raise up the press and maybe allow you to set it back a little. If you find that your bench is a little too low, then maybe a Strong Mount or something similar is a really good idea... for any press. It's largely a matter of ergonomics I think. And also a slight savings in workspace, being that it allows, as I said, the press to be set back from the edge of a bench and not protrude into a work area or walkway.

ear-ingun, if your bench is at a good height and you've lots of room to maneuver around your shop, then of course you have no need of such a stand for your presses. Not everyone's set up that comfortably though.

EDIT: Lonehawk, I'm sure it would be easy to just drill new holes in a Strong Mount.
Old December 19, 2007, 02:52 PM   #4
ear-ingun

Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't write very well. The LNL AP (love mine) is definitely an up grade, but adding a strong mount is not.

It is far easier to adjust the height of your chair than spend $40-$60 for a strong mount. First you will need to decide which one of the mounts fits closest (good luck with a SWAG), and and if you get the right one on the first try, then you definitely will have to modify that.

If the bench is just too low, A few pieces of nice wood scraps can be added and finished quite nicely for a few dollars. There have been several people post pictures of such mounts.