The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 1999, 06:48 PM   #1
stark

I recently bought an Astra A-70, used, and took it to the range today. I had a massive problem with it...It failed to extract virtually every spent round. After examining the situation and memorizing the details, I asked the 'smith at the range what he thought, I just wanted to get some other opinions. Here's the situation:

When firing, the slide goes back but the extractor does not grab the spent case. in fact, it rarely, if ever, left any marks on the spent case. The slide would go forward, attempting to take a round off the top of the mag and chamber it, but since the chamber was blocked...

Also, the extractor was loose to the touch, like I could wiggle it back & forth just by touching it. The conclusion we all drew was bad extractor spring. does that sound about right? If anyone needs more detail to make an educated guess, just ask, and if I know, I'll follow up with them.

Thanks in advance,

------------------
-stark-
http://www.23x.com/stark/guns

[This message has been edited by stark (edited August 26, 1999).]
Old August 26, 1999, 10:34 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

It would have to be a pretty weak spring not to do anything. I am more inclined to suspect that there is not enough hook (or the hook is at an incorrect angle)on the extractor. The easiest cure for this is to file a little away from the inside of the extractor body where it touches the slide next to or slightly behind the breech face. George