The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1
cdc

Experiences/Opinions on having a Heatshield/Barrel Shroud please

When piecing together the 870 HD project I purchased a TacStar Heatshield (or otherwise known as a barrel shroud). After some thought, to properly install this heatshield I need to modify it so it does not obstruct the back set of the VangComp ports. The installation of the TacStar heatshield will be somewhat permanent, once installed taking it off will be a pain in the rump.

Before I install this heatshield I am seeking and hoping to get opinions from owners that have used (or are using) a heatshield. I am looking for the pros and cons. Here is what I am thinking regarding the pros and cons:

** CONS:
- Thinking that the heatshield could get loosened during use/firing of the 870. I would be using Loctite 242 to secure the two bolts. This is the major concern, will the heatshield loosen during use?

- Will mark the finish of the barrel when properly installed. Not much of an issue if the heatshield is left on the gun.

- Cleaning and oiling of underneath the heatshield a pain. Would have to loosen and reposition to clean and oil. Unless I can just spray down the portion of the barrel underneath with Rem Oil or Breakfree or WD40 and let dry.

** PROS:
- Protection from burns/heat from the barrel. When I do go shoot the 870 I do plan to fire off hundreds of rounds per session. Then again I have little to no experience with shotguns, will the heat from the barrel even be a concern?

- Looks very cool installed!! From my test fittings the heatshield fits/mates with the barrel and gun well.

Experiences, opinions, thoughts???

Thanks in advance
Old September 20, 2005, 06:25 PM   #2
rugerdude

Go out and fire the gun to see if heat is a problem. I used a mossberg 590 for a while and that barrel would heat up faster than anything, and a heat shield would have helped greatly. I switched to using a mossberg 500 persuader and I have no problems with heat at all. It's really odd.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old September 20, 2005, 06:35 PM   #3
leadcounsel

1. Are you reeealllllyyy planning on shooting hundreds of 12 gauge shots in a session? You're a better man than I am and a glutton for punishment. After I shoot about 10-20 I'm ready to call it a day... Sounds like you've never shot a 12 gauge. Picture a friend punching you HARD in the shoulder. Repeat. It's not a "plinking" gun. If you own one for HD, you need to shoot it enough to feel comfortable and get accurate with it. That takes a few shots a month because it's so simple. Like I said, when I take mine out it's just to make sure the action is working and I go through about a dozen shells and that's fine.

2. Look into whether it's good to heat your barrel up that dramatically. I know on hunting rifles they can warp due to excessive heat after only a box or two of shells.

3. For HD, I think the shroud is useless. It adds weight and you won't be shooting enough to get your barrell hot enough to burn you in a HD situation and the money could be better spent on more useful items such as flashlight, laser aiming device, side saddle, or magazine tube extension or pistol grip rifle butt combo accessory. After you install these options, you'll be glad for opting to not install the added ounces of weight of the shroud.

4. I own the 870 and have never noticed the barrel to really be hot or a problem even after a session of shooting.

PS- As for the Mossy that Ruger owns, I read that the 590 barrel is remarkably thinner than the 500 which explains why it heats up so quickly.
Old September 20, 2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Trackrock

Beat the heat

When it comes to accessories for your gun, the first thing to consider is if it’s safe and secondly whether you think its cool. If so, go with it. The weight shouldn’t be a problem, especially if 50+ rounds are what your planned outing is going to be. If anything the extra weight will help. I have a Moss. 590 that started out stock- fun, but plain. One of the first things I did was install a heat shield. Did it save me from 2nd and 3rd degree burns, probably not, but I love the look and so do most others that see it.
To the question, will it come loose: it shouldn’t if you use blue loc tight. The barrel damage shouldn’t be a concern since, unlike rifles, shotguns are able to disperse heat more efficiently due to larger barrel surface area (barrel is far less likely to warp).
So go with what you like. The heat shield is a cheaper accessory that you can experiment with, unlike more expensive lights and sighting systems.

Happy blasting!
Old September 20, 2005, 07:18 PM   #5
HSMITH

Heatshields almost universally come loose. They are a lot more pain than help. I wouldn't put it on.
Old September 20, 2005, 07:19 PM   #6

anybody know where i can get one for a 14 inch barrel?
Old September 21, 2005, 12:21 AM   #7
liliysdad

Quote:
1. Are you reeealllllyyy planning on shooting hundreds of 12 gauge shots in a session? You're a better man than I am and a glutton for punishment. After I shoot about 10-20 I'm ready to call it a day... Sounds like you've never shot a 12 gauge. Picture a friend punching you HARD in the shoulder. Repeat. It's not a "plinking" gun. If you own one for HD, you need to shoot it enough to feel comfortable and get accurate with it. That takes a few shots a month because it's so simple. Like I said, when I take mine out it's just to make sure the action is working and I go through about a dozen shells and that's fine
I think you might be the minority here. I dunno about everyone else, but when I get the smoothgun out, im going to town. It is not uncommon to kill 300-400 rounds in a sittng, if clay birds are involved. Ive been to many shoots where Ive shot well over 150 rnds of full recoil buck and slugs in one day.

Shotgun recoil is nothin if you learn to shoot it right. Tuck that stock high in the pocket, and raise that elbow, like its on a crane. if you cant shoot more thana dozen rounds without crying, somethings wrong with your vagina.
Old September 21, 2005, 03:08 AM   #8
cdc

Interesting responses. I am hoping to read from others for I still have not decided to install the heatshield or not. Yes I would shoot off a few hundred rounds. I would probably also bring one of my pistols (probably my fave which is my 1911-A1 custom .45). Based on where I live (East Bay, N. Ca.) I would have to make a round trip drive of 1.5 hours or so to shoot the 870 in a non-trap or skeet enviroment. For that kind of drive I will not be firing only a dozen or two rounds. When I do go to the range or shooting session, I like to make a day of it. That is the main reason I purchased the Knoxx SpecOps stock.

I do also have a laser sight and Reflex Optics for the 870, just have not installed either yet. Actually have installed the Reflex Sight, but until Knoxx comes out with an attachment for the SpecOps to facilitate Optics with a good cheek weld I will use the iron sights. As an FYI for SpecOps users, Knoxx mentioned to me that an attachment to raise the SpecOps stock will be available in about 6-8 weeks and should be available for viewing on their website in about 3 weeks.

By the way, the TacStar heatshield is fairly light in weight. My main concern again is the possibility of the heatshield coming loose, even with the blue Loctite 242. The heatshield is made from 100% steel, I highly doubt it will warp. Any experiences from owners would be very helpful...

Please keep the experiences, opinions and thoughts coming...

Thanks!
Old September 21, 2005, 08:40 AM   #9
MEDDAC19

When shooting 100-200 rounds in a session you will take some breaks, even if just reloading, which should allow the bbl sufficient time to remain cool enough to forgo the necessity of a shroud. In reality if you want it 'cause it looks cool, then by all means, go for it.
Old September 21, 2005, 01:50 PM   #10
leadcounsel

To elaborate, I was answering the question from a HD shotgun perspective, not a trap shotgun.

the majority of time that I shoot my HD shotgun, it's to ensure proper operation, target acquisition, range, practice with moving and racking, etc. After about a combo of about a dozen slugs and 00 buckshot, I'm both comfortable with my aim and the operation of my gun, not to mention alittle sore from the exercise. If that makes me less of a man then so be it.

I don't shoot much trap with my HD shotgun. My barrel is 18.5" and not as good for trap. When I have shot trap, it's with lighter birdshot loads which do kick alot less. I see the merits of hitting small moving targets and it is alot of fun too. Sometimes I do it and do shoot off more rounds. But the barrel heat has never been an issue.

Personally I would not install the heat shield. A HD gun is for HD, not for trap. Sure, it looks cool for HD, but is it necessary or functional? No. And, it will look silly shooting trap quite frankly. Have you ever seen other trap shooters with heat shields on their trap guns?

As far as the added weight, every ounce will count. The heatshield by itself may only weigh a few ounces, but when you pack that onto a gun that already weighs 7 pounds factory (and if you add the essentials for a HD shotgun such as a sidesaddle or mag extension and extra shells and even a light, laser, or pistol stock combo you're looking at 10 lbs.+).
Old September 22, 2005, 03:26 AM   #11
cdc

Ok, have decided to pass on the heatshield for now. If after running ammo through the 870 and it gets too hot for comfort then I will install it. For now it stays in the package it came to me in. Thanks to everyone that chimed in!

cdc