The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 31, 2017, 08:36 PM   #26
treg

Speedloader = no "tactical" reload (hate that word but y'all know what I mean)

Speed Strip / Quick Strip = easier carry and the ability to top off as needed.
Old January 31, 2017, 10:34 PM   #27
357 Python

HighgValleyRanch, it is a 686-1 so it is a 6 shot so it is a total of 42 rounds. As for the weight it is very manageable, especially with the right belt. BTW I have also carried concealed no less a 6" Colt Python, 4" S&W model 28-2 so the weight doesn't bother me much. Actually the weight is somewhat refreshing. I know it is there. With my winter coat even the 6" Python conceals easily. When the weather is too hot Virginia is an open carry state and I have no problems either way. Sometimes I do carry semi-autos but over 35 years ago I started carry a firearm professionally and was limited to a revolver that fired .38 Special ammo. I chose my 6" Python as my first handgun and carried it for about 3 years before I went to the S&W 28-2.
Old January 31, 2017, 10:52 PM   #28
Vic1951

I own a few speed loaders and have some revolvers that use moon clips too but most times I wear a flat pouch from Tuff Products to hold two of their speed strips. I only wear untucked shirts. The pouch just wraps around my belt and comes in two sized depending on the caliber and number of rounds you carry.

If I think I need more than 5-6 rounds, I carry a semi auto with a spare magazine. Even if I think wrong, I still have 15 rounds on my person. I did carry speed loaders before speed strips came into being. I still have the belt pouch to carry them. Now I just carry speed strips and keep the speed loaders next to any revolver I use for home defense, but my main revolvers all are cut to accept. I also use speed loaders/Moon Clips for car or off body carry. If I leave my rural area, I take one of my 1911's, HKs, Glocks or Sigs. with a spare mag. I do not consider myself armed with a semi auto without a spare mag or at least a speed strip.
Old February 6, 2017, 06:19 PM   #29
dgludwig

Unless the revolver is already in my pocket, an HKS speed loader is there (in the right side pocket as I am right-handed). "Speed strips", though more convenient to carry than conventional speed loaders are and faster, I suppose, than grabbing a fistful of cartridges at random from a pocket, are anything but speedy. Imo, they should be called "slow strips".