The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

Stuck one in the pipe.

While reloading yesterday I allowed for more distractions than normal and here are the results:

Got it out....

I told the better half what could happen if she kept bothering me...she never listens...lol

Not the first, and surely won't be the last but the first in a while and I have a keep out sign now! The last time it happened the round cleared the barrel but the slide never cycled. Good thing I had my 5906 with me! just dropped the mag and switched guns..

Load: 9mm 115 GRN Plated RN, 5.2 GRN WST CCI primer, 1.169 OAL. Brass tumble washed and tumble polished with Lyman red. Bullets were from The Bullet Works.
Old November 23, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
j357

Glad you caught/noticed that after the trigger pull and no one was hurt. Based on your post, it appears you are expecting these types of results to happen occasionally. I'm not trying to preach to you, but I would suggest locking the loading room door as a first step. Then I would switch to batch processing into a loading block if you are doing single stage to enable verification of powder charges or dumping the entire plate or current round in process if you are using a progressive or turret and get distracted.

Sorry to say but the next outcome may be a catastrophic mistake if you double charge or fire on a squib.

Stay safe and make sure everyone around you does too.
Old November 23, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Coach Z

Stuck one in the pipe.

I'm super new to reloading so I appreciate it greatly when others share their mistakes so hopefully I can learn from them.

I'm assuming it was a no powder issue, what's you're reloading setup? How did the failure occur?
Old November 23, 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Load: 9mm 115 GRN Plated RN, 5.2 GRN WST CCI primer, 1.169 OAL.
It would seem that particular round had something less than 5.2g WST

The wife poked her head in the garage the other night and starting talking to me as I was charging a block full of target rounds (light load - nice n ripe for double-charging). I thought to myself: "You're powder dropping right now while distracted - STOP!"

I always check the level of my charges before moving them to the press. I do this by standing up, bringing the loading block up near a bright light and checking each and every round nice n slow. But this time, I really gave 'em a good once over. And just before bullet seating, I always give 'em one more peek before setting the bullet.

These are processes that I would miss doing if I had a progressive press.

BTW, I didn't hear a darn thing the wife said
Old November 23, 2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I'm assuming it was a no powder issue
Correct.

Quote:
I'm not trying to preach to you, but I would suggest locking the loading room door as a first step.
I generally do and let my guard down. Never again!

Quote:
Then I would switch to batch processing into a loading block
I was in the process of loading the powder in a batch of 50 when she interrupted me. She left then came back again and that's when it happened.

It never cycled and made a sound like the cheap cap guns do. Through the ear protection it sounded more like popcorn in the microwave. Recognizing the sound I hit the safety, dropped the mag and locked the slide....sure enough there it set in all it's glory.

Quote:
I'm super new to reloading so I appreciate it greatly when others share their mistakes so hopefully I can learn from them.
That was in my mind when I posted it. When I first started reloading it happened then not again until years later. In my life this is the third and the most frustrating because the second time ever made me go to batch loading and visual double checks to insure all of the batch is charged and there are no double charges. Also and mainly made me remove any distractions from the loading process.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
It would seem that particular round had something less than 5.2g WST
Your right...I meant WSF...lol. Nice catch Nick!
Old November 24, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Brutus

I quit loading a complete block years ago. My technique is to charge the case with powder and immediately seat the bullet, crimping last as a separate operation, I think it takes about the same amount of time but it sure reduces the chance of a missed case or double charge.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Valornor

Happens to the best of us.

Squibs Happen 2.jpg

Squibs Happen.jpg

When shooting, always, always, stop when you hear a pop instead of a boom....hopefully its never a boom that forces you to stop.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/