The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 12, 2013, 12:44 AM   #1
fragtagninja

A liberal response

A few weeks back I was talking to a friend. We have been friends since the age of 3. That said he was raised in a house of democrats. Now over the years he has changed his position on many things and come to his own conclusions on most issues and I love the guy dearly, but something he said just shocked me.

While debating the gun control issues I explained to him some stats that come from the FBI that make it clear that the President's gun control proposals would not help stop incidents like sandy hook, or crime for that matter. He agreed that the stats "if true" would indicate universal background checks and magazine bans would be useless. I also explained the process I had to go through in order to purchase a firearm. Which as we all know is very involved and very annoying. That said my firearm is already registered with the county sheriff and the state police. Which I am fine with. However he proceeded to tell me that we "should just submit to the extra form and deal with the inconvenience" I asked him how he could think that if it would literally not work. He responded by stating that sometimes we should just do what the govt tells us.

I am appalled that someone, anyone could, think that we should just do what govt tells because they know best. This country was founded on our leaders being accountable to us, and such a measure, or even mindset is dangerous. If history has taught us anything it is that any entity with significant power must be held in check. Governments are not benevolent and ours is no different.

The facts are my fellow patriots that these gun control laws will not work and it is up to us to hold these useless sacks of #$%* that we call leaders accountable and make them actually do something to fix this problem. Not slap a band aid on our elbow when we have a severed artery spurting blood from our wrist.

And sadly we must save some rather intelligent people from idiotic ideals.
The onslaught has already begun. They are using the new gun control laws in New York State to violate other parts of the Bill of Rights.

http://www.examiner.com/article/stat...-from-citizens

In the above article which I urge you to read New York State is using peoples medical history to demand they surrender their firearms. Under Federal Law of the United States known as HIPPA it is a felony to use anyone's medical records for any purpose besides for treatment purposes. At the hospital I work at a Medical Doctor cannot go through your medical records from our hospital for any reason other than to use them for treatment purposes. We use an electronic system that monitors who has been in what files when, so that if anyone opens them without just cause they are promptly reprimanded. If I were to release a patient's information once and they were to find out I would be fired, lose my medical license, and prosecuted for a felony. Your own doctor cannot even request medical files from our hospital without you signing the request. Yet the State of New York is violating these people's privacy and 4th amendment rights. I in no way want to see dangerous mentally ill individuals armed, but we have due process for a reason and the State of New York is not exempt from this process or federal laws such as HIPPA.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

These issues are currently under discussion in other threads, so let's keep duplicates to a minimum.
Closed Thread