The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 13, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
mk8tim

model 69 or new marlin 60 or mossberg model 42

i seem to have an addiction to .22's lately but my self set gun budget is maxed, or almost. one more. i promise. a local gun dealer has a winchester model 69a with a scope in what i consider good condition for 169. wal mart has a brand new marlin model 60 for 167. my stepdad has an old mossberg model 42 military training rifle in very good shape for around 175. i doubt it's military credentials based on the fact that it has no serial number and it's condition but it's the same rifle. i will be buying one of them but i can't decide. i have an older glenfield already that's nice and i lopve it but i really like the look of the new 60's. the mossberg grabs me because of the alternate sights and the fact that it's very old and in very good shape. the winchester looks very nice and well, it's a winchester. any opinions?
Old March 14, 2013, 07:18 AM   #2
mr.t7024

model 69 or new marlin 60 or mossberg model 42

Buy all three, LOL! Seriously I have all three acquired them over the years! If you do not have a bolt go for the Winchester 69A ,second choice the Mossberg. Same for the Marlin 60. They are all nice ,depends on the type of action you want.Have fun, let us know of your choice or choices! Cliff!
Old March 14, 2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Pilot

Get the Winchester 69A. I inherited one as a kid over 40 years ago from my Great Uncle. It was old then! Great shooting, well made .22 rifle from a different era.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
PetahW

My opinion is that you should buy a rifle with an intended end-use in mind.

A bolt-action, very accurate, Winchester Model 69A is in a somewhat different use catagory than a Semi-auto Marlin Model 60.

YMMV, but I prefer my M69A for squill sniping, and while a semi-auto can be good for that, IMO it's better when used for a plinking rifle.

Old March 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #5
salvadore

Buy the Winchester.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:59 AM   #6
okiewita40

My vote would be for the marlin 60. I have been shooting them for the last 40 years. I have used them for squirrel, rabbit and coon hunting, shooting coyote's on the trap line and even a few tin cans here and there.

IMHO there is not a better .22lr made. But there is a reason there are so many different actions and models made in this caliber.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:45 PM   #7
mk8tim

ok guys so i decided on the winchester 69a for the simple reason that i have a marlin model 60 already and i prefer it to the old mossberg training rifle. it's very accurate and i really like it. i still find myself reaching for the old marlin when heading out rabbit hunting though. i'm pretty happy that i grabbed the winchest for the $169. it's in very good condition and i've seen it for far more than that elsewhere. thanks for the input