The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 2013, 08:57 PM   #1
RagingBull

Taurus parts issue

I have read another, older thread about a similar issue but rather than dredging up that thread, from '07, I figured I would start a new one.

What I have is a Taurus 608 that needs the cylinder stop plunger spring. Only the spring.

It seems to be a common problem. The set screw backs out after a while and the cylinder falls out upon reloading. Luckily, the first time it happened, I was able to immediately find all the pieces and simply reinstall them. For me, It held for years after until just recently while shooting with some friends. We were able to find the plunger but ot the spring.

Numrich lists the plunger and spring as a set in both regular and stainless steel. $4.25 & $4.75 respectively, but they are sold out. I have sent them an email asking if they are expecting any more in.

I am hoping to be able to get a replacement mailed here so I can simply replace it myself and not need to ship it back for such a simple repair.

I will call Taurus direct tomorrow as well, to see if they have the parts in stock and the ability/willingness to ship them to me.

I'm not looking for freebies here, just a parts source to get shooting again.

If anyone else has an idea, or a parts source, please let me know.

Thanks guys!!
Old March 7, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Have you tried checking the local hardware store or a big box store for a box of assorted springs?

Jim
Old March 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #3
shootniron

Quote:
Have you tried checking the local hardware store or a big box store for a box of assorted springs?

Jim
I bet you can find one locally...it would be cheaper and quicker than any of the other options.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
RagingBull

I have thought of that and am planning on that too but I am doubtful that I will find one as small (tiny) as is the spring that is missing.

Thanks for the suggestion and fast reply!
Old March 7, 2013, 09:27 PM   #5
RagingBull

Well...I'm sitting here looking at it again and it seems that the spring isn't as small as I remember, or so it seems. So I and experimenting with a ball point pen spring to see if I can get it to function properly for the time being.

Keep your fingers crossed!!
Old March 7, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6
RagingBull

So....I cut about 1/4" of the pen spring off and tried it. It worked ok but not great. I removed it and cut off one more coil and it seems to be just enough to function properly in single and double action......so far. Edit to add...just for clarification, this was an "unloaded" function test. I still need to get to a range for a live fire test.

How long it will last however is another story that will only reveal itself over time.

I am planning on taking pics of the quick fix and posting them as soon as I can. In the mean time in between time, if anyone has a source for the proper spring, please let me know.

Again....many thanks!
Old March 7, 2013, 10:50 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I thought of a ball pen spring but didn't think it would be strong enough. I just opened up a box of assorted springs that cost (IIRC) $5 at Home Depot and there are six spings that might work.

Just for useless info, don't downrate those ball pen springs in terms of durability! I read someplace that they are routinely tested to make sure they will work for at least 100,000 clicks.

Jim
Old March 7, 2013, 11:11 PM   #8
RagingBull

So here is a video and pics.

http://m.youtube.com/user/GeneralTJW...A&feature=plcp

http://m170.photobucket.com/albumvie...8.jpg.html?o=0

http://m170.photobucket.com/albumvie...7.jpg.html?o=1

http://m170.photobucket.com/albumvie...3.jpg.html?o=3

And this last pic is the culprit. The spring loaded set screw that occasionally backs out and lets the cylinder fall free.
http://m170.photobucket.com/albumvie...2.jpg.html?o=2

Last edited by RagingBull; March 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:14 PM   #9
shootniron

Quote:
Just for useless info, don't downrate those ball pen springs in terms of durability! I read someplace that they are routinely tested to make sure they will work for at least 100,000 clicks.

Jim
Interesting bit of trivia...
Old March 7, 2013, 11:14 PM   #10
RagingBull

James K....not doubting their longevity in a pen, but pens don't carry quite the same recoil as a. 357 magnum. Not sure if it will have an effect or not yet. I AM optimistic though!

It seems all is right with the world again so far!! Can't wait now, to get to the range with it!