The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1
coachseeley

I keep crushing my 45-70 brass

Greetings,
I have been reloading for a couple of years now, and recently bought an 1895GS. Of course with the price of ammo, I also want to reload this cartridge. I'm using two types of bullets: Hornady 300gr. HP, and Hornady 350gr. RN. Both bullets are .458". I first tried using Winchester unprimed brass, and after 8 attempts, I crushed 2 of the cases and the other six were bulging on one side of the cartridge.
I returned the Winchester brass and got some Remington brass instead. Every single one of the six cases I tried to load got crushed. I have re-threaded the bullet seating die three times.
I've tried two different types of lube.
I've resized the necks with the de-capping die and/or the full length sizing die.
Does anyone have any ideas what the heck is going on?
Neither of the bullets have a dominant boat-tail, and I'm trying to center the bullets up as best I can and guide them into the bullet seating die.
Please help if you can.

Thanks, Steven
Old August 11, 2010, 07:28 PM   #2
flashhole

Have you flared the neck prior to seating the bullets. You didn't mention a flare step in your process. Full length sizing the brass will reduce the neck to the same size or smaller than the bullet diameter. You need to open it up to seat the bullet.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 11, 2010, 07:29 PM   #3
flashhole

Take a look at this and see if it helps.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/49

Old August 11, 2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

You should make sure you get a good chamfer on the inside of the mouth of the case. Since it's a straight wall case you might want to flare it like a regular pistol case before seating to help the bullet slide in easily.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Well done, Flashhole! I wish I'd read this several months ago, I've been struggling to figure out what you talked about in your link. Other than the cleaning and a few other details your loads are quite similar to my latest efforts.
When are you going to start casting your own boolits? I like my shiny boolits and shiny cases, but to each his own.
I've always felt that .45-70 and 45 Colt are handloaders' cartridges, I'm beginning to realize they deserve handcrafted boolits as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 11, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6
bullspotter

Maybe one more thing to look at, Do you have the seat/crimp die to low? might be trying to crimp before the bullet is seated all the way. How far dose the bullet go in the case before it starts crushing it?
Old August 12, 2010, 06:12 AM   #7
coachseeley

Got one seated!

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. I ended up adjusting my powder thru expanding die at 1/2 turn intervals to get enough flaring on the case mouth.
I'm grateful to the accuracy and speed of all your replies.
Thanks so much.

Steven
Old August 12, 2010, 04:10 PM   #8
flashhole

GunNut - I'm trying to cast bullets for my 40 S&W. When I get that perfected I might try the 45-70. But, I like my current loads chronographed at 1962 fps. That is a might hot for lead. Don't want excessive leading in the bore.