The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2007, 09:16 AM   #1
CCW

.41 loads

I have been trying to reach member "Madison" for quite some time now...
I suppose he never looks up to the right hand corner, to see he has private messages waiting....anyway....maybe he will see this post?
Madison has written in the past that he has safely used 5 gr. of Unique on top of a 200/210 bullet in a .41 Mag. case for his PPC rounds.
I would love to have "Madison" confirm that and assure me that it is safe from the threat of detonation.
Anyone else, feel free to join in with your opinion.....and I surely hope "Madison" reads this and responds.

thanks
Bob

Last edited by CCW; February 18, 2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: left out word
Old February 18, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
flintsghost

I can't say about "detonation" but I would think that 5 grains of unique would give you a trajectory like a rainbow and I would think that at the far stages out to 50 yards that an arc like that would be a distinct disadvantage. The lightest load I use in my .41 mag is 8 grains of unique and I consider that a very pleasant light load.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
pumpkinheaver

I use 6grs of bullseye for light loads in my .41 blackhawk. I read a few monhths ago the Mike Ventrino uses as little as 5.0grs bullseye.
Old February 20, 2007, 05:20 PM   #4
CCW

Well, I guess "Madison" has not seen this thread either?

Can't seem to win with this Gent.......

OK, guess I'll just load some at 5 gr., some at 6 gr., and some at 7 gr. and see what comes of it....

It is being shot out of a 2 1/2" snubby Taurus Model 415.....and will only be shot at 7 to 10 yards...so I am not much concerned about the 50 yard arc.
Just want a comfortable range round for that close distance.
Old February 20, 2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Crazy4nitro

I just loaded up some 195gr LSWC with 12.6gr of Blue-Dot. Those were nice light recoil loads.

Another Favorite of Mine is a 170gr. JHP. with 16gr. of 2400.

.41 Mag Taurus Tracker 4" Factory Ported Barrel
Crazy4nitro

* Listed For Reference Only *
Old February 21, 2007, 05:26 PM   #6
SixForSure

Quote:
...............safely used 5 gr. of Unique on top of a 200/210 bullet in a .41 Mag. case for his PPC rounds.
Well there's one potential problem with this that I can see......... The powder goes under the bullet!
Old February 21, 2007, 10:14 PM   #7
CCW

LOL...
right you are!

Bob
Old February 24, 2007, 04:07 PM   #8
CCW

OK, since "Madison" never responded....I did load those rounds with 5, 6, and 7 grains of Unique....(210gr. SJHP)....
Now I can answer my own question...lol. I made it to the range this morning:

Out of my snubby Taurus 415....the load I liked best is the 6 gr. of Unique....comfortable and certain accurate enough in the 7-10 yard, defense distance.....no trouble keeping all rounds in a 2 1/2" group, double action, rapid fire.

Works for me.
Old February 25, 2007, 09:28 AM   #9
MADISON

.41 Magnum and Private Messages

CCW:
I do not do "private messages". My wife handles the E-mail and deletes my messages. So...
Yes!!!
I shoot 5.0 grains of UNIQUE safely in my two S&W Model 57's.
I have never had any trouble with this lite load although if you go into the search mode and punch "41 Special" you can find all kind of lite loads.
If you need toreach me, just post a question for me in the open.
Old February 25, 2007, 10:30 AM   #10
CCW

Hello "Madison"......
so nice to finally communicate with you!
I hope the moderators do not get upset with me having more or less a private conversation with you in the open forum. (some moderators of other forums would say such conversations belong in private emails or private messages...but with you that is not possible).
By the way.....the email you have listed in your profile here does not work....they are returned to me saying ..."not a known email address"..perhaps you would like to fix that?
Anyway, OK super! I am just a gun collector/shooter/reloader like you.....I am 52 years old....been shooting for a long time...reloading since 1990. Just got a Taurus 415 2-1/2" snubby in .41 magnum and had been trying to contact you as I began reloading that caliber. I saw your PPC load of 5 gr. of Unique. I was a little concerned about the large amount of empty space in the case...worried that perhaps there was a chance of detonation...that's why I was trying so hard to reach you. I wanted to make sure your 5 gr. load was NOT a typo. But when I could not, I loaded up several in 5, 6 and 7 gr. to test. They all fired fine..but I think I prefer the 6 gr. best of the bunch. It was comfortable to shoot out of the short barrelled gun and accuarte enough for my purposes.
It appears that also, from a suggestion from another member of this forum, that I have now found a way not to worry about the detonation issue.
The suggestion is to place "microballoons" (which are microscopic glass spheres used in the making of resin) in the empty space between the powder and the bullet head. This is not supposed to change the load at all.....and fill the case so the powder in definitely tight against the primer. This stuff is very, very light and can be gotten very cheaply from a place called towerhobbies.com . I will order some and try it....thought you and others may wish to use it also.
If you would like to email me.....feel free...you may use either of the following:
[email protected]
or
[email protected]

thanks
Bob
Old February 26, 2007, 10:58 PM   #11
stinger

Detonation is an unreproducable phenomenon that occurs with SLOW burning powders. Pistol powders are anything but slow.

Stinger
Old March 12, 2009, 04:17 PM   #12
jsummers

lite .41 loads

Howdy. Would someone in this .41 Special/lite load thread pls tell me which primer they are using in these "lite" loads ? I read online somewhere that they are loaded w/ regular large pistol primers, but I can't find it agin to be sure. I was all set to begin trimming my .41 brass to the .41 special length until I saw this thread about lite .41 loads in reg length brass. Thnx. jims
Old March 13, 2009, 09:18 PM   #13
ForneyRider

I run W231 for light loads with 41mag and 210gr bullets.
900-1000fps ith 6-8gr of W231 in my Ruger Blackhawk.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:30 PM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
Detonation is an unreproducable phenomenon that occurs with SLOW burning powders. Pistol powders are anything but slow.
For years, the argument was that using 2.7 of Bullseye under a 148 grain hollow base wadcutter in .38 special cases would occasionally produce a detonation effect, despite being the standard load for target shooting at the time. However, this might have been before your time. It was long before the Internet, and gun magazines were the preferred (and only) media that catered to guns.

The gun magazines would have pictures of guns that were "blown-up" by those supposed detonations.