The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2018, 07:24 PM   #1
jamaica

Pic of my bench

press947 by James_40 Lofthouse, on Flickr

Showing the old Herters press.
Old March 6, 2018, 08:04 PM   #2
hounddawg

I like it. oldschool with Herters, and Lyman 55 and what looks like a Lyman M5 scale
Old March 6, 2018, 08:59 PM   #3
jamaica

Yes, you got it, and the Lyman bullet sizer/lubricator too.

I got that old press about 1955, I was just a kid in high school. It has put out a lot of rounds.
Old March 7, 2018, 01:19 AM   #4
drain smith

Let's see that photo get over to "pictures of your reloading bench/equipment". I like the old equipment but photos are far and few between.
Old March 7, 2018, 11:48 AM   #5
hounddawg

That Lyman M5 is one of the most sensitive beam scales ever sold. I keep trying to snag one on Ebay but the price always goes stupid high
Old March 7, 2018, 09:53 PM   #6
condor bravo

bench photo

https://s5.postimg.org/t13kqumrr/20180222_142539.jpg

Finally able to post a photo (I think). Herter's Super Model 3 also present on far end of bench constructed with 2x4s, 4x4s, and 2x6s.
Old March 7, 2018, 10:46 PM   #7
lamarw

I do not know how the Lyman D-7 measures up to (pun intended) to the M5, but I have a D-7 I purchased new back in the 1970s for $17.15 from the Ft. Riley Rod & Gun club. It still has the price sticker on the scale itselp plus I have the box. No intentions on selling it, but I am curious how it compares.
Old March 8, 2018, 08:10 AM   #8
hounddawg

Quote:
I do not know how the Lyman D-7 measures up to (pun intended) to the M5, but I have a D-7 I purchased new back in the 1970s for $17.15 from the Ft. Riley Rod & Gun club. It still has the price sticker on the scale itselp plus I have the box. No intentions on selling it, but I am curious how it compares.
the person to ask would be Scott Parker over at the Accurate Shooter reloading forum. His screen name is sparker. He performs tuning of beam scales for a fee and is probably the most knowledgeable person when it comes to reloading beam scales.

Most of these scales look like they were manufactured by Ohaus and just painted different colors for different company's. I have a old RCBS 502 that reacts to a single stick of extruded but may end up with a entire collection of these old scales before it is done. I have fell in love with the old throw and trickle method for accuracy and have my Chargemaster up for sale locally

Last edited by hounddawg; March 8, 2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old March 8, 2018, 06:14 PM   #9
lamarw

Thanks houddawg, I have a Treeing Walker and a Blue Tick. How about you?
Old March 8, 2018, 06:30 PM   #10
hounddawg

lol owned mostly beagles myself but my neighbors always had redbones and blue ticks for coon hunting
Old March 8, 2018, 07:13 PM   #11
AzShooter

Nice clean setup. My bench was so full of equipment I'm almost glad I had to give up reloading and switched over to all .22s.

Moving to assisted living is no fun.
Old March 9, 2018, 09:53 AM   #12
Rifletom

Gads, that old Herter's press is a beast! Looks awesome. Regarding beam scales, I have a Ohaus [RCBS] 10-10 that I've had since '78/'79. Works. Like hounddawg said, Chargemaster ain't no more. Old school, I suppose.
Old March 9, 2018, 11:07 AM   #13
F. Guffey

Quote:
Let's see that photo get over to "pictures of your reloading bench/equipment". I like the old equipment but photos are far and few between.
I was in NAPA California at a flea Market when I found a press that was advertised as a juicer by a dealer selling kitchen equipment. Reviews in the 50s claimed the press was the most useless press ever made and nothing ever happened to change that. I tried to explain to him it was not a juicer and even if it was he was missing a lot of equipment. I purchased it for $10.00 dollars. The only way to describe it when operating is to say it looks like a spider doing push ups.

I boxed it up and have not seen it for 30 years and now it is time for me start selling because my children have asked me not to leave without finding new homes for all of my early American junque.

F. Guffey
Old March 9, 2018, 11:07 AM   #14
jamaica

Some of the hounds I have had.

Last edited by jamaica; March 9, 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old March 10, 2018, 11:07 AM   #15
F. Guffey

Jamaica, I have been told all of my dogs were hounds from hell and or Alabama Leg Dogs. I have made an effort to work on my friends attitudes but nothing has worked. I placed a sign on my front door; problem, it was written in Latin. I then added another sign stating; Alabama Leg Dog rules strictly enforced. The sign looses it's effect when it has to be explained.

And now? My wife has a cat.

F. Guffey
Old March 10, 2018, 12:21 PM   #16
jamaica

At this point I have no dogs. There are three cats that hang out around here. They can come in the garage and have the run of the outbuildings and yard. I do not let them in the house. I give them some dry pelleted cat food in a dish. These cats do a pretty good job of keeping the mice and gophers under control.
Old March 10, 2018, 06:27 PM   #17
condor bravo

Yes, cats are perfect for looking after the bench and keeping other critters away.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:17 AM   #18
Road_Clam

Don't drop that press on yer' foot !
Old March 11, 2018, 08:23 AM   #19
lamarw

Very photogenic Orange Marmalade. I used to have a cat that would watch everything I did like as though he was the supervisor.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:01 AM   #20
hounddawg

heh I have a orange tabby that my last dog adopted before he passed. That cat and dog were inseparable When I had to put old Jack the wonder dog down the cat adopted me refusing to believe that I did not like cats. Ten years later the cat follows me wherever I am in the house and shop. I have to admit cats are a lot easier to care for than dogs and make pretty good company
Old March 11, 2018, 01:47 PM   #21
condor bravo

Re: Road Clam, "Don't drop that press on your foot".
Yes, did that once which reminded me not to do it again.
Old March 11, 2018, 02:02 PM   #22
JeepHammer

Now THAT'S a press!
You riveting battle ships together?
Old March 11, 2018, 02:45 PM   #23
condor bravo

Yes, just about. That's the famous Herter's Super Model 3, but you probably recognized that. Everyone should have one, especially for rifle reloading.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:07 AM   #24
jamaica

" "Don't drop that press on your foot"."

That is why we bolt it to the bench!
Old March 12, 2018, 01:15 PM   #25
F. Guffey

Quote:
Yes, just about. That's the famous Herter's Super Model 3, but you probably recognized that.
And then there is the 'other' Super 3; the first one was described as 'the triple web' and then press at the top of the ram was extended like a work surface. The triple web press did not work with RCBS primer swages.

F. Guffey