The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2017, 04:12 PM   #1
std7mag

Finally got a deer in PA. Only took 7 years..

Went out today. Left house at 4am. got to Moshannon State Forest at 6am. Still dark.
Just as it was beginning to turn gray, I got my stuff together, and with it just being light enough to see where I was stepping, started off down the gas line.

About 500 yards in I happened to look further out, finally being able to see some distance, and saw shapes on the gas line.

Bino's confirmed deer.

I took a squat and waited for more light, looking for antlers. (I did have a valid doe tag also). No antlers, just 8 does, merrily feeding away.

I ranged it. 550yards....

Crouched down, I closed the distance some. (there was a slight rise between me and them).

Ranged. 413yards. Improvised a field rest with backpack and portable seat that I brought along and took the shot.
After recoil looking through the scope the gas line was empty... I couldn't believe I missed..

Search where I thought the deer were standing brought nothing.. walking further along the gas line, it suddenly looked like someone had shot a can of red paint.
Doe was 5 yards in the woods. She made it a total of 20 yards.

The 140gr. Berger VLD Hunting had worked wonderfully out of my 7mm-08AI.
Bullet sized entry hole, no exit hole. While cleaning the chest cavity was FULL of blood. Heart was utterly destroyed. As in almost unrecognizable.

At home found bullet jacket under skin on opposite side.
Old December 2, 2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Congratulations but of course it didn't happen without pictures.
Old December 3, 2017, 08:53 AM   #3
std7mag

I'd love to..

Still don't know how to shrink the pic file size down from 4.7mb to 211 kb.

Computers not my strong suit.
Old December 3, 2017, 08:59 AM   #4
OzeanJaeger

I’d ont know what it is, but,
Quote:
Search where I thought the deer were standing brought nothing.. walking further along the gas line, it suddenly looked like someone had shot a can of red paint.
They’re always further than I think. If I walk to where I think they were standing I know I probably have to go another 10%...every time. It’s a deer only optical illusion..
Old December 3, 2017, 09:17 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

Congrats on a great shot, I love the 7-08 myself. You can resize your photo online. Goto ASK.com and ask resize my photo..its easy.
Old December 3, 2017, 10:28 AM   #6
zipspyder

Nice shot OP! I love my Ruger American 7mm-08. MOA accuracy out of an entry level rifle.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:25 PM   #7
GarandTd

Congrats. I'm looking for my son's #1 or maybe my #2. Thursday morning we'll put a couple more hours in and Saturday if we have to.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:33 PM   #8
JERRYS.

in 7 years the closest you came to a deer was a doe at 400 plus yards? wow.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Snub357

You shot at a deer at 413 yards? Hmm.....
Old December 20, 2017, 07:27 PM   #10
std7mag

Time for some clarification...

Things have been bugging me on this thread for a while, time for some clarification I think.. (ok, at least peace of mind on my part).

Since moving here and hunting in PA I haven't had access to private land. Hence all my hunting is on State Game Lands.
And if it weren't for bad luck, and other hunters, I would have bagged several before now.

I have seen deer closer, previously. 2 years ago the largest buck I had ever seen while hunting came out into the gas line 40 yards away. Got so excited, I fumbled, and dropped my bow out of the tree stand. Almost jumped after it...

Last year I found out 3 other hunters were using MY tree stand.

I have been walking further and further away from the truck to try to get away from other hunters.

PA rifle season starts on Monday after Thanksgiving. I was able to go out on Saturday.
I had spotted the deer, 8 does standing in the middle of the gas line from 550 yards, and crept closer. (gas line is about 40 yards wide, but miles long)

Weather was 19 degrees F, calm 2-3 mph winds.

I used a folding seat, and my backpack for a rest, so I wasn't shooting free hand.

The rifle/ammo combo I was using is my Stevens 200 that I re-chambered to 7mm-08AI. I put about 900+ rounds a year out of that particular rifle. About 400 of which with that particular load. Alliant Power Pro 2000, Berger 140gr. VLD Hunting.
I shoot anywhere from 25 yards, out to 500 yards. I shoot almost every weekend. Wind, sun, snow, rain. It's not always 65 & sunny when hunting.

With that rifle, with that load, under those weather conditions, my choice to shoot was an ethical decision.

By all means, I like/choose to close the distance when shooting at game. I don't just take pot shots, hoping for the best.

Thanks for letting me rant.

std7mag
Old December 21, 2017, 08:45 AM   #11
jersurf101

Something I had to learn is hunting is all about access to a good spot. Typically that comes from family or frienda land or money, lots if it. Every game Lands deer is a trophy around here. I know people in eastern NC that goes years without getting a shot on game landsC

Congrats man!

To the naysayers. Have you harvested any deer on PA public land?
Old December 21, 2017, 10:37 AM   #12
Pilot

I am a PA deer hunter. It is rare to get a shot that long here. Good for you! I am familiar with that area as I have flown into Mid State, KPSB to go hiking in the Black Moshannon.

What rifle were you using? 7MM-08 is a great all around caliber. I reload, and am leaning towards the 260 Remington (6.5-08 for my next rifle). maybe a Tikka. Again congrats on your first PA deer.
Old December 21, 2017, 10:44 AM   #13
GarandTd

I'm not a naysayer, but my 1st deer was an 11point atypical buck on PA state gamelands. This was also before all the point restrictions that exist today.
Old December 21, 2017, 06:19 PM   #14
std7mag

Pilot,
Stevens 200 that i bought used. Probably has over 4,000 rounds down the tube. I know i've put about 3,000 down it myself.

I highly recommend the Berger VLD Hunting. And the Tikka is a great rifle.

And thanks all for the comments.

Std7mag
Old December 21, 2017, 06:25 PM   #15
BIGR

First of all congrats to you std7mag. I know exactly how you feel about hunting several years on Game lands and not killing a single deer there. I started my deer hunting career around 1985 or so, never even had a chance to fire a shot, it was buck only hunting. Oh yea you are wondering I took my first deer in 1993 while hunting in Georgia Since then I have been on two deer leases the one in Georgia in the early 1990's and the one I am currently on, since 1999. . It is in the central part of my state where it is either sex hunting from late October to JAN.1. After 1999 I started killing deer every season, some years I took 5 or 6 deer. I have 5 bucks on the wall right now that I have taken on the latest lease. I took 2 good 8 points last year and had those two mounted. I have taken several 6 and 8 points that I just sawed the horns off of. I have almost killed as many with a muzzleloader as a rifle. I don't get a big buck every year, it kind of goes in cycles for me, one wall hanger maybe every 3 or 4 years apart. The main thing is I never gave up, but was real lucky to get on a real good lease where we have water and electricity to hook up a camper to. The farmer, land owner likes us I guess, he has kept us there around his house and farm for 18 years, so I guess we are doing something right.

Sorry about the long post but the moral of the story is, hunting game lands can be tough, but if you ever get the opportunity to hunt private land or on a lease it can be very rewarding. Usually see more deer and you don't have multiple hunters tromping all over your area. Also on a lease you can plant some food plots and build some great stands.