The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2021, 06:14 PM   #1
FITASC

A question for those who recycle spent primers

What does the recycling center classify them as - steel, aluminum, brass, something else? IDK why I started to collect my spent SP and 209s, but I have. Was just wondering when I bring them in what exactly do I tell them I have?
TIA! (and Happy Thanksgiving to one and all)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 24, 2021, 07:22 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Their mass is mostly brass plus some nickel plating plus some primer combustion residue, which includes water-soluble lead compounds. So, while brass would be the predominate mass, the presence of lead residue may make them less attractive to some recyclers. But I don't know that for a fact.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 24, 2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Crankylove

My local yards classify primers and cartridge cases as “dirty brass”. I get about 1/2 the price per pound as their “clean” brass.

“Dirty” or “clean” referring not to actual dust or dirt, but any coatings (nickel plating), impurities/inclusions (valves and fittings with build up of whatever was flowing through them, or different metal types, plastics, rubber, etc) inside, or in some way not removable from the brass scrap.

I don’t take it on very often, since it’ll take me a couple years to fill up my scrap brass jug with spent primers and unusable brass cases, but, when I do, it’ll buy me lunch, and a couple boxes of bullets or bags of new brass. Worth the effort for something I would otherwise be tossing in the trash.
Old November 25, 2021, 09:48 AM   #4
FITASC

Thanks!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 25, 2021, 09:51 AM   #5
SonOfGun

209 primers are a mix of brass and steel.

Check them with a magnet.
Old November 25, 2021, 10:44 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

never thought about that. will start saving my primers. I still have about 3k 223 to deprime.
Old November 26, 2021, 06:52 AM   #7
AVirginian

I have taken them to the recycler several times with my other junk brass, nothing said and full price paid. I just put them in the box.
Old November 26, 2021, 08:36 AM   #8
std7mag

I had never considered taking spent primers to the metal recyclers.

I do segregate my brass casings from the nickle, aluminium, and steel.

Never thought about the primers though.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 26, 2021, 09:23 AM   #9
BCR1

I make over 1K a year selling brass pick-ups from my club range and I throw in my spent primers from loading also, never said a word about it.

Bill
Old November 26, 2021, 04:55 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

That's because fired cases, with their carbon-stained interiors, are also "dirty" brass.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 27, 2021, 04:56 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

At one time I was considering making gas checks for .224 cast bullets from spent large rifle primers. In the end I decided it was too much work. Now with powder coating as an option, I really haven't given it much thought in a very long time...

Tony
Old November 27, 2021, 11:52 AM   #12
Prof Young

Hmmm . . .

The one time I had enough unwanted brass to take it to the recycler they never said anything about all the spent primers that were mixed in.

Prof Young
Old November 27, 2021, 03:41 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Dirty brass, here.
Mixed with brass cases is fine, since they classify it all the same, anyway.

Last time I took my brass jug in (about 1.75 gallon capacity, former kitty litter container), prices were pretty crappy. But I needed to empty the jug.
I got about $58 for the contents. Normally, it should pay out $75-95.

One of the guys did comment about the primers, though. He told me that on the days when he is working, he'll give 'clean' brass price on casings if there are no primers. So the primers going into a big, plastic soy sauce bottle, now.