The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2021, 04:49 AM   #26
jcj54

Heat

Any heat applied for soldering or brazing will likely break the bond of the solder holding the rib to the barrel. Adding the mass of a sight attached to the rib may break the rib loose with recoil. A mount that clamps to the barrel would avoid these problems.
Old September 7, 2021, 08:18 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
What would you say is the limit on range for Steel with a full or super full?
I'd say that depends on what your gun does with those shells. What ever range produces patterns with holes large enough that a properly centered shot will allow the game to escape lethal hits is beyond the your maximum range.

Doesn't matter what the shot is, or the size, what limits your sporting range is pattern density. No matter the distance, or what anyone says the gun/ammo "ought to do", what matters is what the gun/ammo actually does.

And to learn that, you need to pattern at each possible distance. When your pattern gets big enough holes in it, or is sufficiently generally dispersed that you cannot be certain of a clean kill, then you should not shoot at that distance.

Whatever that distance happens to be. and remember it can change with changes in the ammo, or the gun.
Old September 8, 2021, 03:55 PM   #28
Lhigginsqrb

The patterning I have a system for. I’m more concerned about lethal velocity. Hitting a big bird at a certain range doesn’t guarantee that it won’t get away. A general range would be a start.

2.75 inch 1 oz steel at 1600 FPS doesn’t seem to be effective past 50 yards.

I have 3.5 in 1.5 oz steel at 1600 as well. I’ve been told to scrap all the steel and move to tungsten and bismuth. I get long shot, not the decoy/blind situation. We float down and snipe them as we go. It used to work decently with number 4 lead. We got the ban on lead when I was a kid so we quit going.