The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 17, 2019, 08:58 AM   #26
Hammerhead

Congrats Professor.

The old style rubber grip with wood panels is my favorite revolver grip of all time. They have to be tried at least once on your Geep. You can get them dirt cheap on Gunbroker.

Did my best DA shooting with a Geep and the old rubber grips. Feel great in recoil too.
Old June 18, 2019, 03:30 PM   #27
Stargater53

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquebus357 View Post
There are other GP100's without the full underlug. Like this puppy, a model GPF-340 from 1989. This is the one that outshoots my Match Champion.

I love the looks of that gun. Never seen one at a gun store. Are They still I p production? If so, I'm going to start recommending it to homeowners wanting a good drawer or hiking gun. Did you get it new or used?
Old June 18, 2019, 05:54 PM   #28
ThomasT

Quote:
The old style rubber grip with wood panels is my favorite revolver grip of all time. They have to be tried at least once on your Geep. You can get them dirt cheap on Gunbroker.
I'm with you all the way. The original wood/rubber grips are the best grips I have ever used. And thats on the GP-100 and the SP-101 with the plastic insert.

I have a GP-100 I bought back around 1990 to use in falling plate matches with a 6" barrel. I have no idea how many rounds I have fired but I am sure its over 5,000. I decided I wanted a 4" barreled version and had to search a while until I found a used one that came with the original wood/rubber grip and bought it. What nice guns to go with the two Security Six guns I have.
Old June 18, 2019, 06:03 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

Half lug GP100 in stainless: https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100...on/models.html

or for the price of 3 686s/GP100s or 1 and 1/2 S&W R8s you can get it in blue:
https://www.ruger.com/products/superGP100/models.html

Old June 18, 2019, 08:43 PM   #30
ThomasT

If my dad were still alive and still had his machine shop I spent so many thousands of hours working in my 4" and 6" GP-100 would both be half lug guns.
Old June 18, 2019, 10:11 PM   #31
Prof Young

Got it and shot it . . .

Picked up my GP 100 in 357 yesterday and shot it today. At ten yards, not off a rest, I was getting 3-5 inch groups a touch left and down from my aim. I'm sure the placement is me not the gun. Gun ran 100 rounds without a glitch. Really like it. I'd forgot how poweful the 357 can be. Felt like I was going to get a concussion just from shooting the thing. Fun gun. May be on it's way to a permanent part of the collection.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 18, 2019, 10:14 PM   #32
Stargater53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
If my dad were still alive and still had his machine shop I spent so many thousands of hours working in my 4" and 6" GP-100 would both be half lug guns.
I had a grandfather with a machine shop. Years ago on the railroad, some railroad execs were passing through and they saw my granddad take a piece of copper and put it over the head of a hammer. One asked why he did that and he explained that it increased the life of his hammers. They did some checking and found out it did, and they instituted it nationwide. He got a check for a whopping one hundred dollars and the railroad saved...well, I don't know how much, but it was a lot more than a hundred dollars! He took his check and bought s some nice equipment for his machine shop. And he had enough left over so he didn't have to eat tongue (which he hated) for awhile. At the time, that hundred bucks was like winning the lottery. Today, not so much.

I still remember the smell of machinery and oil in his shop. There was a little gravel path from the house to the shop, and when I was three, I used an old silver spoon my grandma gave me and a bucket and I'd play with that gravel while my granddad played in his machine shop. I guarantee he had more fun back them than I did!

--

Last edited by Stargater53; June 18, 2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old June 19, 2019, 10:07 AM   #33
arquebus357

Quote:
I love the looks of that gun. Never seen one at a gun store. Are They still I p production? If so, I'm going to start recommending it to homeowners wanting a good drawer or hiking gun. Did you get it new or used?
Stargater53 .
..........................................................................................
The only half lug models, besides the Match Champion, I see being offered currently are 5" barrel Lipsey's specials.

I got this last year off Gunbrokers. Won the auction with $400 !!!. The photos posted there made the gun look like a piece of junk. To my amazement, it was in almost pristine condition. I was kind of disappointed because I was looking forward to refurbing it. I only changed the grips.
Old June 19, 2019, 06:59 PM   #34
ThomasT

Quote:
I still remember the smell of machinery and oil in his shop. There was a little gravel path from the house to the shop, and when I was three, I used an old silver spoon my grandma gave me and a bucket and I'd play with that gravel while my granddad played in his machine shop. I guarantee he had more fun back them than I did!
I worked in my dads machine shop from age 10(yes I ran a tapping machine) till age 24. By then I had had enough of mashed fingers and smelling like cutting fluid(water soluble oil) and mu=ysterious cuts I had no idea how they got there.

But I learned a lot. I learned how things were made, machined and to take apart and repair about anything I lay my hands on. My dad was an artist in machine work. I never reached that level. Most of what we did was prodution and I learned to set up the machines. No CNC back then. I loved it when he told me he needed a part build and I would go to the metal scrap pile and get material and draw up my own plans and then use a lathe and mill and make that part.

The math I learned carried over in to my other loves like designing my own RC model airplanes. My designs fly as well as any kit or prebuilt model I have ever flown. Miss you dad.
Old November 1, 2021, 06:30 AM   #35
Montana Jon

Back on July 8th, a day before my 65th birthday I spotted this one at a pawn shop sitting under the glass counter, and recognized that it was a half lug .... needless to say, I talked with the owner for some time, and got him to lower the asking price.... I paid the money and walked with it grinning from ear to ear.

Old November 2, 2021, 05:08 AM   #36
jetinteriorguy

Love my GP100, best thing I ever did was call Triggershims and talk to them. Purchased their shim/spring kit after learning how to figure out what shim sizes I needed. A little parts polishing and installing the right shims/springs and it’s a marvelous shooter. Kudos to Triggershims.com, one of the most helpful guys you’ll ever deal with. The DA surpasses all but my 4” S&W model 57, and SA is almost on a par with my best Smith trigger.
Old November 3, 2021, 10:04 AM   #37
Pumpkin

I'm very disappointed with the sleeved barrel crap Ruger is pushing today.
An old penny pinching process stolen from Charter Arms.
It is done to save money, no other reason.
Old November 4, 2021, 10:05 PM   #38
Jeff #111

Ruger sells the older style rubber grips on https://shopruger.com/. Both the full-size and the compact versions. They are $44.95, but they are brand new and just like the old days. Altamont also makes the older grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120851374_3309411962617648_6499014037824720817_o.jpg (338.1 KB, 25 views)
Old November 5, 2021, 08:57 AM   #39
wild cat mccane

I used wilson combat springs and too the shims you are talking about.

My experience was not the same against a stock 686.

Lett went out of business. Altamont makes the Lett style grips now. The Hogue grips that fit no hand are still attached to the non 7rnd cylinder GP100s. Only the 1771 and 1773 come with the Lett style Altamont wood/rubber grips.

What's a cap sleeve barrel mentioned above? would like to learn.
Old November 5, 2021, 10:09 AM   #40
Pumpkin

It's a steel shroud installed over the actual barrel.
Saves machining time...........$$$$$
Old November 5, 2021, 03:01 PM   #41
amd6547

When I decided to buy a GP100, I did a lot of research while I was looking for one. I wanted a 3" Wiley Clapp, but ended up getting a slightly used fixed sight 3" instead.
I'm very familiar with S&W K and L frames, having owned both. I read over and over about the GP trigger being inferior to the S&W's, so I was surprised to find my 3" GP trigger to rival the well used trigger of my Model 15 Combat Masterpiece...
As for grips, my GP came with the rubber Hogue. Someone above claimed that grip fits nobody's hand. While I searched for some compact Lett's, I shot a few boxes of Magnum ammo with the Hogues, and found they worked great for my medium sized hand...very comfortable. However, I do carry this revolver concealed sometimes, and the compact Lett's are obviously superior for that, and are also comfy for me. I did, however, buy a set of wood Hogues of the same pattern as the OEM rubber...these didn't work out so great, as they are thicker in the web of the hand, I would have to sand them to make them work for me.
As far as the adulation some have for the Security Six, I used to own a 4" Security Six, and find the GP superior in every way...I shoot it better, too.
Old November 19, 2021, 10:41 PM   #42
Montana Jon

A guy seen my 6" 1/2 lug and wanted to make a trade... I like what he had, he liked what I had... now I have the GP100 Match Champion.

Old December 25, 2021, 02:35 PM   #43
Jcon72

You know they make the GP100 .22LR in a half lug like this one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GP100-.22LR.jpg (521.2 KB, 17 views)
Old December 25, 2021, 06:42 PM   #44
XDforever

I've got the 4" blued 357 model. I've had it for several years and don't forsee ever getting rid of it. Great gun!

Joe
Old December 25, 2021, 06:52 PM   #45
JustJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquebus357 View Post
There are other GP100's without the full underlug. Like this puppy, a model GPF-340 from 1989. This is the one that outshoots my Match Champion.
Nice!

'Course, esthetically speaking, the best thing about that bad boy is the conspicuous absence of the dreaded Hillary Hole.

Value added right there.
Old December 25, 2021, 10:05 PM   #46
wild cat mccane

Ruger was in the business of putting printed warnings on the barrel day 1 of the GP100 which is 20 years before the "Hillary hole."

Bill Ruger thought very publicly that America shouldn't tolerate mass shootings and accidents.

But maybe you like all that print on your revolver?