The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 20, 2021, 11:21 AM   #1
Pistoler0

Conceal carry on a motorcycle. Advice?

Hello fellow shooters (and riders).

I just got myself a bike. I had not been on a bike since 2007, some 14 years ago, and I have only recently become a CCW holder.

I have become comfortable carrying AIWB, but on this bike.... I don't think so.

Do you have any advice? Any experiences that you can share?

Thank you.

Ah, the bike (I am sure I'll get asked) is a Suzuki V-strom 650.
Pistol is a Glock 30 or EAA Witness Polymer Compact.

Last edited by Pistoler0; September 20, 2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old September 20, 2021, 11:51 AM   #2
Pahoo

Wear a stiff vest

Quote:
Do you have any advice? Any experiences that you can share?
You did not mention what you want to carry. Wear a vest and carry OTWB, cross draw, at the 10:00 O'clock or 2:00 position. If open carry is allowed in your state or if you have and occasional flash, not a problem. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 20, 2021, 12:09 PM   #3
Skippy

For extended time in the saddle a good shoulder holster, while expensive, is the way to go. Comfortable, accessable, easy to conceal under a jacket and reduced risk if (heaven forbid) you should go down. You don't want too land on a gun on your hip at any speed.

For around town I'd still go for the shoulder holster or maybe strong side IWB about 3:30 4:00 if you're right handed. IWB helps keep the pistola a bit more secure, again, if you go down. OWB a holster with a retention strap is a must.

My 2ยข.

-------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Last edited by Skippy; September 20, 2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old September 20, 2021, 12:31 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Shoulder holster, no question in my mind.
Old September 20, 2021, 04:09 PM   #5
Pistoler0

Thank you everybody, I'll try the shoulder holster.

Pahoo, Glock 30 or EAA Witness Polymer Compact.
Old September 20, 2021, 05:37 PM   #6
eflyguy

Tank bag, then to the pocket when off the bike.
Old September 20, 2021, 05:53 PM   #7
GJeffB

FWIW, I've toured 10's of thousands of miles on a H-D XL883 [Sportster] over the years. I had to look up a picture of your Suzuki. It seems it's not a bar hopper crotch rocket, rather a viable cruiser/tour bike. Having said that, my carry was always either a 4" 1911 pattern or a Shield 9. Either was carried quite comfortably in an IWB at 4:00. Since I was never poked or gouged in an upright riding position, I can't imaging you would be on the V-Strom in a slightly forward position.

I honestly can't even imagine a shoulder holster with all the body/arm motion in riding, especially on curvy fun roadways.

-jb, what works for me may not for you
Old September 20, 2021, 09:01 PM   #8
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Tank bag, then to the pocket when off the bike.
I don't think exposing a firearm every time you get on or off a motorcycle is a good idea.

-------------------
Old September 21, 2021, 02:00 AM   #9
Geezerbiker

I've always carried in a belt back both on and off a bike.

Tony
Old September 21, 2021, 07:29 AM   #10
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I don't think exposing a firearm every time you get on or off a motorcycle is a good idea.

-------------------
Yeah the tank bag then to IWB suggestion from eflyguy would be a perfect solution except for that brief flash of the pistol before walking into Walmart.

I'm going to try the 4 o'clock and shoulder since I have holsters for both.

The problem is hot weather. One should not ride without a proper riding jacket (under which the pistol would be easily hidden), but.... it I do it sometimes.
Old September 21, 2021, 07:52 AM   #11
eflyguy

Can see how that might trouble a certain type of people in certain places.

Plenty of folks carry exposed here. "Flashing" a holstered/sleeved weapon is a non-issue here in the South.
Old September 21, 2021, 09:34 AM   #12
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post

Plenty of folks carry exposed here. "Flashing" a holstered/sleeved weapon is a non-issue here in the South.
Other considerations about flashing:
* Could invite a robbery
* Could invite an overzealous citizen calling the cops
* Could invite fumbling and dropping the gun during back-and-forth transfer
* Could invite an accidental discharge
* Etc
* Etc
* Etc

Every time a loaded firearm is handled there is an increased risk of unintended consequences.

-------------------
Old September 21, 2021, 10:19 AM   #13
Pahoo

True and then ???

Quote:
That holds true with in a number of cases. When we went to open-carry, there were a number of folks that got all excite and started in with the "what-Ifs". Some even stated that blood would flow, in the streets. Well that was over 10yrs ago and thank God, that just hasn't happen. Now, "most" folks just don't pay much attention nor seem concerns. I have a biker friend that open carries, with a Ruger Blackhawk and yes, it raises some eyebrows and soon ignored. ..

Private/protective and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 21, 2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 21, 2021, 10:30 AM   #14
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJeffB View Post
FWIW, I've toured 10's of thousands of miles on a H-D XL883 [Sportster] over the years. I had to look up a picture of your Suzuki. It seems it's not a bar hopper crotch rocket, rather a viable cruiser/tour bike. Having said that, my carry was always either a 4" 1911 pattern or a Shield 9. Either was carried quite comfortably in an IWB at 4:00. Since I was never poked or gouged in an upright riding position, I can't imaging you would be on the V-Strom in a slightly forward position.

I honestly can't even imagine a shoulder holster with all the body/arm motion in riding, especially on curvy fun roadways.

-jb, what works for me may not for you
I don't do that kind of "sporty" riding any more, I am more subdued now that I am retaking the hobby. I was much more "enthusiastic", to put it somehow, in my younger years of riding. The Vstrom's riding position is more upright, and maybe suitable for shoulder carry.

But I can see how a shoulder holster would be inconvenient if trying to get down to a low profile on the bike and aggressively leaning on curves.
Old September 21, 2021, 11:37 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I don't really understand the problem. Admittedly its been decades since I've ridden but I used to ride dirt bikes and street bikes and never found a GOOD shoulder rig to be a problem.

I'm not a big fan of IWB carry, mostly because the inside of my pants is for me, not a holster.

If it works for you, great, use it and be happy.
Old September 21, 2021, 01:02 PM   #16
10-96

Amazon is full of M7 taker holsters for under $40 as well as all sorts of fishing and photography vests also under $40.
The two M7's I bought (World War Supply) are actually made of surprisingly high quality leather- bought a tan and a black one.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 21, 2021, 06:41 PM   #17
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Other considerations about flashing:
You do you.

OP asked for advice. I shared what's worked for me for many years.

Don't live in paranoia around here.
Old September 21, 2021, 09:42 PM   #18
BourbonCowboy

I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was a kid...almost 40 years ago. But I do occasionally ride a bicycle. I've been dealing with the same question you're facing, and have been doing my research. I've decided that for my riding and hiking, the best option for me will be the Hill People Gear Recon Kit bag. I can keep a full-sized pistol in a kydex holster in the bag on my chest, and when I get off, I can tuck it into my pants. It also fits well under a backpack and helps to balance out the load.
Old September 21, 2021, 10:09 PM   #19
Doc Intrepid

I ride quite frequently, and often interstate trips.

Agree with forum members above who advocate for shoulder rigs. I use Galco, they make a reliable harness. Shoulder rigs secure the firearm while traveling, and on those occasions where you absolutely must use a toilet at a gas station you don't wind up either with a pistol on the floor, or a pistol in your hand or hanging from a coat hook on the back of the door. (If there is a door.)

The only drawback is that they are utterly useless in the extremely improbable event that someone aims a gun at you while you're riding.

Your first option is maneuverability - often bikes can outdistance and outmaneuver cars and trucks. If you've lived a life of sin and impure thoughts, however, and your aggressor is determined, the ability to pull a J-frame with your left hand and use it at close range would be advisable.

I will deny all accusations of a lifetime of sin, but allow as how I use a left-handed Safariland J-frame holster on a drop panel, attached with Safariland's quick-locking system kit. It keeps the revolver handy (to your left - non-throttle - hand) while riding, in a semi-open carry mode. Upon stopping, if necessary, you can pop off the holster and revolver and secure it elsewhere, then rapidly don it again when shoving off.

See the links below. It works for me. Just an opinion.

https://safariland.com/products/quic...stem-kit-23136

https://safariland.com/products/cubl...receiver-plate

https://safariland.com/products/mode...h-detent-30575

[shown with a semi-auto holsters, however, this holster is also made for S&W J-Frames]

As noted in post #17, opinions will vary. I've been carrying on motorcycles for nearly 30 years and have tried a wide variety of options. This is what works best for me and the riding I do consistently.

Your mileage may vary.
Old September 22, 2021, 12:22 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The only drawback is that they are utterly useless in the extremely improbable event that someone aims a gun at you while you're riding.
I don't know about utterly useless, though I will admit to awkward and slower than usual, but I, for one, can reach my left armpit with my left hand, and I can do it easier than reaching across my body to left hand draw from a right side hip holster.

I think the idea of a running gunbattle while on a motorcycle is something for the movies. If I knew (could see) someone pointing a gun at me while I was riding, I think my main concern would be to use the bike (and both hands on it) to rapidly change direction and speed. but that's just me.

If you're riding in full leathers with your gun inside, no holster is going to be "fast draw useful"

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it, or less...
Old September 22, 2021, 02:39 PM   #21
Seedy Character

Shoulder holster or cross draw are the best option. Hip or small of back will be awkward.
A holster mounted on bike works best. Moving from bike to body, when unmounting, can be a problem.
Old September 22, 2021, 06:59 PM   #22
Mike38

The first thing everyone that rides needs to realize, the question is not if you are going to crash, the question is when you are going to crash. I don't carry on my person while riding for two reasons. I don't want something bulky and hard on my person while sliding / rolling down the pavement. I don't even carry my wallet while riding. The EMTs may have a more difficult time un-impaling you from your gun. A shoulder holster may sound good, but a gun against your rib cage is going to break said rib cage. Also, you may have more serious injuries if your gun discharges during the crash. I put my carry pistol in a saddle bag. It's possible to discreetly put away or remove the gun to or from a saddle bag. Just get on your knees close to the bike like you are checking the chain, or something, then slip the gun into the bag. Do the same to put it back on your person. I know, I know, people claim they are never going to crash. You may be a great rider, you may be a safe rider, but some idiot cager looking at their cell phone is going to void your riding capabilities.
Old September 22, 2021, 11:49 PM   #23
Lt.Nick

I've been a avid rider for over 40 years. I've done a lot of trail riding in the woods. Usually, a holster on my hip, and anytime I had a spill, if I landed on my right hip, I was in for some pain. I switched to a shoulder holster, and minor spills yielded results that were much more pleasant. I've only had one bad wreck on pavement. I was wearing a 357 revolver in a shoulder rig. I suffered no extra damage from the shoulder rig, it retained the revolver, and in my experience, I think the well made shoulder holster is safest way to carry, while riding.
Old September 23, 2021, 01:26 AM   #24
colbad

I would be more concerned about getting a motorcycle safety course under my belt that where I am going to carry a gun. Once you complete course you may be more confident on the bike to carry a gun. Only you know your own limits. Several biker style cuts with hidden holsters in them.
Old September 23, 2021, 07:58 AM   #25
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbad View Post
I would be more concerned about getting a motorcycle safety course under my belt that where I am going to carry a gun. Once you complete course you may be more confident on the bike to carry a gun. Only you know your own limits. Several biker style cuts with hidden holsters in them.
You are absolutely right, that most of the danger of riding is not from the chance of getting assaulted.

Riding classes are always beneficial (education always is), although I am not a novice rider. I have not been riding the last 10 years (except a couple of rentals) as I sold my old bike (Suzuki GSX-R 1000) when I had kids and the chances for time alone disappeared. I have been an avid rider my whole life, from my early 20's to my early 40's (I am now 53 y.o. btw).

But I didn't have a license to conceal carry a firearm in my previous riding days, and that's why now I am seeking advice in how to carry while riding.

Last edited by Pistoler0; September 23, 2021 at 08:06 AM.