The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2020, 06:15 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Affordable Christmas tree reticle scope?

Hello,

any recommendation for a Christmas tree reticle scope in the 2-15 or 3-18 range? (50mm tube or smaller) with sub $1000 pricing?

I have in mind the:
- Sightmark Citadel 3-18x50 LR2 ($490 price range), and also considering the
- Primary Arms SLX 3-18x50mm FFP Athena BPR MIL Reticle,

but I was wondering if there are other options out there. I don't care much about first or second focal plane, but I am looking for a MIL scope.

Thank you

Last edited by Pistoler0; March 25, 2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old March 25, 2020, 06:32 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I just bought an Aztec Emerald 3-18x50 and couldn't be happier with it. Another great choice would be a Hawke Sidewinder. They are both just shy of $500 and the glass is better than any of my Leupolds (and I really like Leupold). Take a look at them.
Old March 25, 2020, 10:01 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

The higher end Primary Arms scopes are VERY nice for the price. I've used a handful of their products and would definitely recommend them.
Old March 26, 2020, 02:05 AM   #4
Scorch

Konus
Old March 26, 2020, 02:24 AM   #5
ms6852

I bought two of these during Christmas to me, they are great performing scopes with very bright glass . They are going to be discontinued that is why they are so inexpensive but very solidly made.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020052981?pid=532931
Old March 26, 2020, 02:44 AM   #6
Txhillbilly

Getting a scope in SFP with that style of reticle is just wasting money if you're actually wanting to use the reticle. Most values are only true at maximum magnification on a SFP scope.
On a FFP scope,the values are true at every magnification.

For a $1k,you can get a pretty good scope. I wouldn't be looking at the ones you listed.
Cameraland has some great deals on some good brands right now.

These Bushnell's are hard to beat for the price-
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=1995546

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=2154350

The Athlon Ares BTR gen2 is also a very good scope-
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=2075533

The Steiner P4xi is a really good scope. It doesn't have the reticle you want,and has a 56mm objective,but it has great glass in it. I just bought a Steiner T5xi 5-25x56 scope and it'll run right with my $3k+ scopes.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=2007496
Old March 26, 2020, 07:58 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

[QUOTE][Getting a scope in SFP with that style of reticle is just wasting money if you're actually wanting to use the reticle. Most values are only true at maximum magnification on a SFP scope.
On a FFP scope,the values are true at every magnification./QUOTE]
You can't say "is just wasting money". Most people don't even understand the differences between FFP and SFP. Once you do understand, you can see that each has their benefit. FFP scopes magnify the reticle size as you zoom in. Some people find that a distraction, and don't like that feature. As far as the reticle spacing being true at every distance, that's easily off set by using a range finder, and/or learning that most scope of higher power aren't used at unknown distances on their highest power. If you have something like a 3-18 power scope the math is pretty easy to do even without a calculator. Set the scope at 9x and it's half, set it at 3x and it's tripled. I found that after having my first FFP scope that I preferred SFP. Some of my friends like FFP. You need to understand what it means and then decide.
Old March 26, 2020, 08:45 AM   #8
Txhillbilly

[QUOTE=NoSecondBest;6785321]
Quote:
[Getting a scope in SFP with that style of reticle is just wasting money if you're actually wanting to use the reticle. Most values are only true at maximum magnification on a SFP scope.
On a FFP scope,the values are true at every magnification./QUOTE]
You can't say "is just wasting money". Most people don't even understand the differences between FFP and SFP. Once you do understand, you can see that each has their benefit. FFP scopes magnify the reticle size as you zoom in. Some people find that a distraction, and don't like that feature. As far as the reticle spacing being true at every distance, that's easily off set by using a range finder, and/or learning that most scope of higher power aren't used at unknown distances on their highest power. If you have something like a 3-18 power scope the math is pretty easy to do even without a calculator. Set the scope at 9x and it's half, set it at 3x and it's tripled. I found that after having my first FFP scope that I preferred SFP. Some of my friends like FFP. You need to understand what it means and then decide.
The only reason that one would buy a scope that has a hold over/ranging type reticle would be to use it,or learn to use it.
It's kind of hard to use/learn them if you can only have the correct sub-tension values of the reticle at the maximum magnification of the scope when it's a SFP scope.

Yes,You can do the math and correctly calculate the reticle values on a SFP scope,but most have a hard time getting it correct,and it takes a lot of time. If your hunting,buy the time you do your math,the animal is gone or has moved.

Granted,on FFP scopes the reticle is pretty useless at lowest magnification,but once you get to 6-8x,you can see the reticle clearly enough to use it.

SFP scopes work great for hunting,or shooting known distances,but not so well if your wanting to actually use a ranging reticle.

Most of my hunting rifles have SFP scopes on them,All of my long range guns have FFP scope on them,because I use the reticles for hold over and ranging targets.