The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 11, 2019, 11:35 AM   #1
alleyyooper

Ameristep dog house blind.

Ameristep Dog house blind the one with thew zippered floor.
I Just folded it in half last winter and stuffed up in the storage loft in my pole barn.

took it down this year and it appearrs the one of the spring steel hoops is bent. Is there andy way to straighten the spring or at least pull it up high enough to see out of the window?

Al
Old December 11, 2019, 12:10 PM   #2
jimbob86

IDK ..... if it got bent one direction, you should be able to bend it the other ..... thoughit may break .....

Brother has one .... it IS easy to set up ..... but such PITA to fold up that it seldom gets used.
Old December 11, 2019, 01:32 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I've owned, and currently own, a number of these blinds. For the price you simply can't beat them for a one person rifle or crossbow blind. However, I've seen many of them get bent the wrong way and it's almost always the result of frustration in trying to take them down. After more attempts than I care to admit, I finally figured out how to take them down in one try (yes, it can be done). All that being said, I've never seen one that was able to have the steel hoop repaired. Right now there are a few places selling them for a super low price of forty-nine bucks. FWIW, there is a website on the net that sells blind parts and they're pretty cheap. If you break the fiberglass poles in your blind you can get another pair for about ten bucks. I've got one Doghouse that's got to be ten years old and it's still in somewhat decent shape.
Note: spring steel isn't very pliable, it just breaks when over stressed.
Old December 11, 2019, 07:39 PM   #4
alleyyooper

One of mine is nearly 15 years old. the second one I am inquireing about was left on some property we bought last year.

They really are easy to fold up once you get the hang of it too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdXmMO4xTA

Al