The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 18, 2020, 04:36 PM   #1
red caddy

New to me keltec sub 2K 9mm gen 2

I just picked up a Sub 2K, at a steal price. Just couldn't resist, It was sold as NIB but that became a good bargining point, it obviously was not. One range trip, and a "detail strip" bath has me sold on the virtues of this one as a truck / SHTF gun.

It shoots reliably, 2 MOA @ 50 yards, ate everything I threw at it. (including my 115/147 Gr. handloads,) Fast cycle / lock time.

Down checks,

trigger is heavy and mushey (already ordered an aluminum trigger and spring kit)

Bolt handle effort seems too heavy / sticky don't know why. Easy fix? has anybody tried the 2 finger bolt handle? good, bad, indifferent?

Recoil is sharp, bolt tube/body smacks my cheekbone, annoying, not a show stopper. Can anybody recommend an effective muzzle brake ?

Iron sights and my old eyes are not gonna get on too well, will somebody recommend a small red dot/QD that works for you? (I know it must be removed to use the folding feature. thus the QD, NBD to me)

I'm pretty sure, with a little help, this one's gonna grow on me, it's just too much fun not to plink with it...

Let the games begin.

RED
Old January 18, 2020, 05:04 PM   #2
JERRYS.

sounds like a fun gun but the ones I've seen have a price tag with $100 of a budget ar15. so I can't talk myself into one.
Old January 18, 2020, 05:31 PM   #3
Gary Gill

I bought mine last spring. I shoot my 9mm 124gn handloads reliably. It also shoots hollow points as well. I use a Sig Romeo 5 on a UTG quick release base. It stores on the lower picatinny rail. I find it holds zero as well as I can shoot.
If you want to make modifications to it, MCARBO has many options. I have left mine stock so far.

The greatest feature of the carbine is it folds to about 16" and fits in my backpack. My buddies 9mm AR won't do that.
Old January 18, 2020, 07:50 PM   #4
red caddy

Jerrys,
I too put off getting one for a while. First run guns were getting upwards of 350.00 over MSRP, Way out of reach on my retired fixed income.

I "back burnered" my purchase dreams. Several years later, I ran across this Gen 2. It was offered ANIB for $300. It was obviously used, skinned up bolt and very dirty bore, but otherwise intact. At the same show, NIB dealer guns were bringing $440 +(not many takers)

We did the dance, after a while, we settled at $240.00 and he threw in a couple of boxes of cheap, import, range food. (Seemed about right for a used one)

Just more proof to the adage: All things come to he who waits. (as long as he's bustin' his azz while he waits)

Gary,
Yep, the trigger and spring kit I ordered is Mcarbo, they have a bunch of interesting stuff. (patience grasshopper) I have a couple of used holo sights in the possibles box, just have to fabricobble up a QD mount. Around here, that Sig is kinda pricy, I'll likely start with a used Pro-Point. (big and klunky looking, but should work well to start)

I walked 2 shows today and couldn't find a usable muzzle brake in 9mm.

I guess I will end up drilling out one of my .22 caliber brakes or carving out one in the shop. Da Bay might be worth a look later tonight.

Keep them cards and letters coming, boys and girls...

RED
Old January 19, 2020, 03:00 PM   #5
Txhillbilly

I went full tilt on the 40 S&W Sub 2k that I bought a while back. I think I bought almost every MCARBO part they offered. I really like the trigger now - 4.5 lbs. The swing away optics mount from them is a must have,IMO.
Look on Amazon,you can get the Romeo 5 red dot for around $120.

This is a really fun little carbine to shoot,and accurate as hell with the red dot. I shot 30 rds at 30 yards on a 3" shoot & see dot,all but 2 shots are on the target.
Old January 19, 2020, 06:38 PM   #6
red caddy

TXHILLBILLY,
Did you buy the "two finger" bolt handle? Like it? Is the slip on foam tube pad taking the sting/face slap out of the buffer tube?

I could easily make both , but if the Mcarbo/factory ones work, for the money, I won't waste the shop time.

Have you shot the 9 mm? How does it compare to the .40 ?

Thanks for the input.
RED
Old January 19, 2020, 11:44 PM   #7
Txhillbilly

I put the "Recoiless" charging handle on mine,and Yes,the rubber bolt tube cover works well. I shoot LH,so I will need to make a shell deflector for mine,I have several burn marks on my right arm from the brass landing on my arm while shooting it.

I've never shot the 9mm version since I don't shoot 9mm.
Old January 20, 2020, 12:20 AM   #8
kenny53

Red Caddy
I have a first gen Sub 2000 in 9 mm. It took Glock 17 mags and all I had were Glock 19 mags. A small saw and a little care got it to take my G 19 mags. Other then that I haven't changed a thing. It is a lot of fun to shoot, but I use the Glock 32 round mags most the time.
Old January 20, 2020, 04:48 PM   #9
44caliberkid

Like the OP, I got mine for a song, at a flea market, 2 extra mags and a hard case for $275. Get the neoprene tube that goes on the buffer tube to reduce the cheek slap. The Glock drum magazine doesn't work in them, so don't waste the money. I tried a QD red dot but it doesn't return to zero when you take it on and off, so I just use the irons. I have fun with it and it's a good stash gun.
Old January 21, 2020, 12:53 PM   #10
9x19

I don't use the folding feature, other than for cleaning, so this is my setup.

I prefer linear comps on most guns, so it has a Kaw Valley version.

This red dot is an inexpensive import (I decided to try (vs the Bushnell TRS or Primary Arms model) based on a recommendation), but I have two and neither has failed to hold zero yet. The base came from Amazon, not QD, but again, not in MY way.

I used some peel & stick neoprene (made for Bow grips) on the stock tube, and added a machine screw sling stud to the butt and an Mlok adapter to the hand guard. Sling is an old USGI M1 Carbine model.

I mostly run it on Magpul 21 round mags, and they work fine. Good luck with yours, and have fun.