The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 2, 2018, 02:05 PM   #1
mikejonestkd

Trapdoor Springfield with modern ammo

I just found a 1873 trapdoor that managed to follow me home today. The previous owner typically shot cowboy pressure ammo though it. I am looking forward to shooting it tomorrow but didn't have any ammo loaded for this cartridge.
My brother has a few boxes of new winchester ballistic silvertip 300 gr ammo with the flex tip bullet. Are they safe to shoot in this relic?

Last edited by mikejonestkd; June 2, 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old June 2, 2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Scorch

Typically, modern 45-70 smokeless ammo is loaded to be safe in the Trapdoor Springfields. That said, I have seen a few over the years that self-disassembled with mild smokeless loads. If in doubt, use BP or cowboy action loads.
Old June 2, 2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

SFAIK, the standard Winchester or Remington ammo is loaded down to Trapdoor pressures. I'd be uncomfortable with--and would avoid--any other brand, given my own level of ignorance.
Old June 2, 2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Bimus

Looking through 45-70 ammo and found a box of Hornady .
On THE box
NOTICE Hornady cartridges are manufactured to be fired in firearms witch are in good condition and designed and chambered for this cartridge.

45-70 GOVT 325 gr FTX LEVERevolution muzzle velocity 2050 fps
I would think to much for a trapdoor ?
Old June 2, 2018, 07:21 PM   #5
ligonierbill

Flextip, Leverevolution, etc are aimed at lever action guns like the Marlins and Winchesters. Every load manual I have lists 3 levels: Trapdoor, modern lever and Ruger No.1. Are the modern lever action rounds safe in an old Trapdoor? I don't know. I strongly suggest you contact the ammo manufacturer.

The problem, of course, is you will be fine until you're not. Blackpowder and blackpowder substitute ammo is available. I roll my own with Alliant Black MZ. Why take a risk?
Old June 2, 2018, 07:30 PM   #6
CLYA

Looking through my Hornady reloading handbook, the maximum loads for trapdoor (level one) is 1600 fps., using 325g FTX bullets. For the Marlin, which is level two, it's 2100 fps. So no, the 325 LeverRevolution is too much.
Old June 2, 2018, 08:19 PM   #7
mikejonestkd

Thanks for the input everyone.
Dies, lead, and brass are on the way, and I should have them by next weekend.

I found some cowboy level ammo tonight for it, and will take it to the range tomorrow.
Old June 3, 2018, 07:55 AM   #8
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimus
45-70 GOVT 325 gr FTX LEVERevolution muzzle velocity 2050 fps
I would think to much for a trapdoor ?
Years ago when I purchased my 1884 TD I asked the same question. The salesman said that most of your traditional factory 405 gr 45/70 ammo is safe to shoot in TD's. He also specifically commented do NOT shoot any Of the "lever gun" type ammo as it's loaded to higher pressures. I shot several boxes of the Federal blue box 405 gr jacketed ammo and had no issues. I've since gotten into casting and reloading BP for my TD and that is fun !
Old June 3, 2018, 08:00 AM   #9
mete

Least anyone thinks that the standard load is poor - the 300 gr @ 1800 will work very well to 150 yds or more for deer! Actually that bullet at inside 50 yds is too soft for me ! In much of the east ranges are short .Average range is no more than 50 yds . I've been using the 300 Barnes with excellent results.
Old June 3, 2018, 05:46 PM   #10
mikejonestkd

Just got back from the local range, its a heck of a neat rifle!
I had shot a few trapdoors over the years, but never really seriously considered buying one until this one fell in my lap yesterday.

factory 405 gr remington loads were mild and fairly accurate- 5 shots into 1.5" at 50 yards. the cowboy loads shot about the same, although the point of impact was off.

I am looking forward to spending more time with this Springfield!
Old June 3, 2018, 07:59 PM   #11
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejonestkd
factory 405 gr remington loads were mild and fairly accurate- 5 shots into 1.5" at 50 yards. the cowboy loads shot about the same, although the point of impact was off.
That's the only real issue with the TD's , the fact the vernier sights are SO confusing. The typical "battle" setting is an approx 250-270 yd zero which ends up about 10" high at 100 yds. with a typical 405 gr bullet at 1300 fps. I purchased John Wolf's guide to the Trapdoors and it's an outstanding resource for understanding all aspects of function, reloading, and detailed sight info the TD rifles.

https://www.4570products.info/Loadin...ingfield-1.htm
Old June 4, 2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Avoid jacketed bullets.

They can really do a number on the softer steels from that era.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old June 4, 2018, 08:39 PM   #13
mikejonestkd

[QUOTE]Avoid jacketed bullets.[QUOTE]

I have a good number of 20-1 330 gr and 405 gr bullets on the way, this springfield will only get a diet of cast bullets for the next 50 years.

BTW it dates from 1878, acc to a few serial number searches
Old June 5, 2018, 04:59 AM   #14
Old Stony

I've played with a few TD's over the years using Remington factory and all kinds of different handloads. I finally settled on a mid range load of IMR3031 with the 405's and called it good. I made a front sight or two also for some, as they are easy to replace and make the shoot to the height you want without really altering anything permanently. On my carbine I took a piece of brass and made one out of it...since it's just pinned in, it's an easy and worthwhile alteration.
Old June 5, 2018, 07:32 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

"BTW it dates from 1878, acc to a few serial number searches"

Sweet, but as always...

This thread is useless without pictures!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 6, 2018, 02:02 PM   #16
SIGSHR

Black powder only in mine-I like that cloud of smoke. I have always heard modern smokeless burns much hotter than BP, another reason to avoid it.
Old June 7, 2018, 08:33 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I have always heard modern smokeless burns much hotter than BP, another reason to avoid it."

Yes. Smokeless powders do burn hotter than black powder, and powders high in nitroglycerin burn hottest of all.

When Britain adopted the Lee Metford rifle in .303 with the shallow Metford rifling, the initial load for the .303 round was a pellet of compressed black powder.

That worked just fine.

But, a few years later Cordite was ready for prime time and black powder was dropped.

Early British Cordite burned insanely hot because it had an extremely high level of nitroglycerine, and within a few thousand rounds the throats and rifling in those soft steel Lee Metfords were being destroyed.

The British responded by adopting better barrel steels then in development, re-engineering Cordite to lower the amount of nitroglycerin in the formulation to give lower chamber temperatures on firing, and dropping the Metford rifling for traditional deep cut rifling, thus giving us the Lee-Enfield rifle.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 7, 2018, 08:50 PM   #18
mikejonestkd

A followup question on smokeless powder:
I have reloaded for the 45-70 in modern guns without much regard for the heat or the barrel steel.
I have H4895, 3031, 4064 and Varget to use for mild loads for this trapdoor. I plan on loading two different bullets- 300 gr RN hardcast and 20:1 45 gr BN 10 bullets.

Which powder is a good one to start with? I want to get a modest 1400 FPS out of the 300 gr load, and 1200 FPS out of the 405 gr load, all hopefully well below 18,000 CUP
Old June 7, 2018, 11:01 PM   #19
J.G. Terry

Bullets for a TB

Bullets for a TD: I found out through experience that TD' have a generous groove diameter. My last TD had a .462 groove diameter. What worked best for me was the Lee 405gr. hollow base bullet. These bullets were cast from unalloyed lead. The lube was SPG. That Lee bullet was designed for TD's. Getting the ammo right allows these rifles to run at the true potential. Figure how a .458 diameter jacketed bullet would run in a .462 bore. YMMV
Old June 8, 2018, 02:35 AM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

There are people who believe it is wrong to run anything but black powder in these old guns.

Modern ammo for them is loaded to "safe" pressure, but according to some people who are really involved with these old guns, modern smokeless loads while safe (in the blow up the gun sense) they aren't good for the gun, otherwise.

The old rifles fail (crack, not blow up) at a fairly constant rate, they say, and that rate is slightly higher when used with safe smokeless loads than when only black powder is used.

They say that while the max pressure in smokeless loads in in the safe range, the kind of pressure (duration, etc) is different enough from black powder to put an undue strain on the action of the very old guns.
(and again, we're not talking blow up, we're talking could fail (crack) sooner than it would shooting only black powder loads)

I don't know if its true, or not but if I owned an actual 1870s rifle, I wouldn't risk it.
Old June 8, 2018, 06:13 AM   #21
J.G. Terry

KB's in BP guns:

KB's in BP guns: Usually BP actions are divided between strong actions and weak actions. Usually, the poster child for weak actions are TD's. The strong actions include Winchester 1885. Recently, a Ballard rifle KB'ed at a match. Injuries were involved. At the time much was in the press about about cast Ballard actions and how to identify. If you want a smokeless 45-70 try one of the high quality replicas. Pedersoli, C. Sharps, Shiloh and the like. Leave the old ones to the original propellants. What's to gain over stressing these 125 year old rifles?

I you are dead set on smokeless: For smokeless consider 5744. Make sure of double check your information on the Accurate website. Some older data is too heavy for TDs despite claims. Double check.
Old June 8, 2018, 06:46 AM   #22
Road_Clam

My go to smokeless TD load is 28 gr of 4198 with the 405 cast rnfp. I'm at about 1230 fps. Nice consistent load that won't dislocate your shoulder.
Old June 8, 2018, 11:59 AM   #23
T. O'Heir

The FTX is about being safe to use in a tube mag, not pressure or velocity.
Hodgdon's Trap Door 325 grain jacketed loads(that just happen to be tested with an FTX) run 13,700 CUP to 26,300 CUP, depending on the powder. 1,958 FPS MAX load velocity with 56.8 grains of H335.
The Hornady 325 grain ammo starts at 2050 FPS out of a 24" 1895 Marlin.
H4895, 3031 only of those powders. According to Hodgdon. You're really best to use the powders suggested by Hodgdon as they've actually tested the loads.
Old June 8, 2018, 03:14 PM   #24
105kw

A wise man told me when I was very young,
Use lead only in any gun made before 1900, with some exceptions old barrels are soft steel, jacket bullet may erode the bore.

I love shooting old 45-70s, have fun, they are great guns
Old June 8, 2018, 09:56 PM   #25
Tidewater_Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
There are people who believe it is wrong to run anything but black powder in these old guns.

Modern ammo for them is loaded to "safe" pressure, but according to some people who are really involved with these old guns, modern smokeless loads while safe (in the blow up the gun sense) they aren't good for the gun, otherwise.

The old rifles fail (crack, not blow up) at a fairly constant rate, they say, and that rate is slightly higher when used with safe smokeless loads than when only black powder is used.

They say that while the max pressure in smokeless loads in in the safe range, the kind of pressure (duration, etc) is different enough from black powder to put an undue strain on the action of the very old guns.
(and again, we're not talking blow up, we're talking could fail (crack) sooner than it would shooting only black powder loads)

I don't know if its true, or not but if I owned an actual 1870s rifle, I wouldn't risk it.
There is some great wisdom in the thread. I wish it will spill over into some of the Trapdoor groups on Facebook. By the way, I have fired some of the Remington "Safe for all rifles" in my 1884 Trapdoor, but after I discovered molds, and Geox, nothing but BP since.