The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2014, 09:47 AM   #1
jackrylar

#57 remington primers

im looking to reload old style rem/peters 12 ga hulls i have 3000 in once fired full cases high brass sp12s mag trying to locate old style primers any help im in massachusetts thanx jon
Old January 5, 2014, 04:07 PM   #2
papershotshells

Jon,

Good luck in your search. Kind of like diamonds, those old Remington primers are where you find them.

I looked for over a year for some #57s for reloading some old Peters paper hulls. Finally found 800 of them at gun show last fall. So, make sure you check gun shows. Other than that, maybe an ad on your local classified board (such as clist) maybe?

Again, good luck.

Papershotshells
Old March 25, 2014, 07:00 PM   #3
jackrylar

57 primers

15 64 drillbit on the older remington hulls 209 primers fit perfect!! problem solved

Last edited by jackrylar; March 25, 2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: addon
Old March 25, 2014, 07:35 PM   #4
papershotshells

Jon,

I'd be REAL careful there before you say "problem solved". The difference in strength (I believe the technical term is brisnance or something close) between different primers can have a MAJOR impact on the pressure, consistency and SAFETY of a shotshell reload.

What I'm getting at is that a published load using a Remington #57 primer may (and probably will) produce a different pressure if you use a 209 primer. This change in pressure may well be dangerous. Shotshell pressures are very, very complex. More complex than in metallic reloading. Change one component, such as the primer, and you can upset the whole apple cart.

I have many years (and thousands of rounds) of experience loading shotshells, and I wouldn't feel at all comfortable substituting any 209 primer for a #57 in any recipe. That's why I searched and searched until I found a small batch of #57s.

I'm not saying it can't be done or would be absolutely unsafe, I'm just saying that I would't be comfortable with it. At least not without a LOT of research and input from knowledgeable shotshell reloaders. In fact, I'll point you to a great source of shotshell reloading knowledge (MODS, if this isn't allowed, I apologize, please remove the link)....

Check out the forum (and the reloading sub-forum) at

www.shotgunworld.com

There's a wealth of knowledge and experience there, please ask questions and make use of it.

Risking damage to yourself or your gun by using an unsafe primer/load combo just isn't worth the value of 3k hulls, in my opinion.

Papershotshells
Old October 19, 2014, 09:55 AM   #5
mooseless303

*57 equivilent

Have some *57 and equivalent primers. I've mostly run out of hulls though. My brothers threw all the old hulls out when my father died. They don't reload so they chucked thousands of hulls. Now I'm rebuilding my supplies. Have some reloading recipes for what primers I have too. Propose a swap. Will send you a PM if possible.
Old October 19, 2014, 03:35 PM   #6
snuffy

You can expand your search to include the CCI *157* primer. It too is used in the smaller primer pockets in those rem. high brass hunting hulls. I still have a few of both, as well as a few K of the hulls. Sadly, my duck hunting days are a past memory, so I doubt I'll ever load anymore of them.

If shipping primers weren't so hard, I could sell you the #257's I have, about 300 of them.

One trick I used to do is to use a fired 209 size primer to size up or enlarge the primer pocket, then deprime it and then use a 209 primer to load that shell. That was of course a one way road, the 57/157 then was too lose.

Another word of caution is to be careful when priming those fiber base wad, high base wad, high brass, Remington empties. That composite fiber base wad can be easily deformed or crushed over the top of the primer flash hole. Especially if it had gotten wet. The "glue" is water based, the base wad falls apart after drying out. Then when re-priming it will hide the primer under some of the base wad. Duds, or hangfires were the results.

Those hulls were from the ribbed plastic high speed Remington express shells, that were the original/first plastic shells from Remington. It also had the first all-plastic, one-piece pattern control wad. The SP wad had the splits on the sides only half way to the base of the shot cup. This delayed it's opening and held about half the load to contribute to center pattern density.

It was also the most waterproof shell ever made. The crimp was folded tight shut, then hot melted in the center to seal the crimp. Remington advertised them to never leak in the sometimes driving rain of waterfowl season. For a while, they said if one ever leaked so it would NOT fire, they would send you a certificate for a new box of shells

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 29, 2014, 10:40 AM   #7
mooseless303

Rem *57, CCI 157 Rem #69

I have quite a few of these primers. Will trade for 12, 20 & 410 gauge hulls accepting these primers. My supplies are heavy on the CCI 157. The Rem #69 is a smaller sized Rem primer used on 410 hulls.
Old October 29, 2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Snyper

Quote:
15 64 drillbit on the older remington hulls 209 primers fit perfect!! problem solved
A drill bit isn't going to cut a FLAT bottomed primer pocket

An "end mill" is what would be needed
Old October 30, 2014, 12:18 AM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
Quote:
A drill bit isn't going to cut a FLAT bottomed primer pocket

An "end mill" is what would be needed
HUH? A shotshell primer pocket is simply an open hole in the bottom of the hull. You're thinking of rifle/pistol brass.

Mooseless, I've looked high and low for those hulls, I might have used them up. They could be in storage too, I'll look there the next time I'm down there.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 5, 2014, 10:59 AM   #10
mooseless303

Thanks Snuffy for looking!

There's a slight dimple around the primer pocket on a shotgun shell as well. This allows the flange or water stop on the shotshell primer to fit essentially flush. This water stop keeps your powder dry, which is really a good thing, trust me...

I am concerned with drilling through a 209 sized primer in current Gun Club hulls and using the *57, CCI 157 or *69 primers that way since I'd still have to drill out enough of the flange of the old 209 to properly seat the smaller *57, etc. primer flange. That's two operations ~read double the chance for failure and misscalculation. Another thought was to tephlon wrap a Rem*57, etc. and insert into 209 slot. That's lots of effort (But maybe less than 2 drilling operations), but theoretically the tephlon is reuseable? Is there enough of a water stop left though?

On the old fiber basewad Rem hulls that accomodate the *57, etc. primers, I'm concerned that drilling through the old primer would disturb the fiber basewad, which does have the capacity to be dislodged and travel down the barrel as the hulls reach the end of their useful life anyway. (That's why Remington changed out that hull construction eventually although Federal still uses a fiber basewad and has few reported problems ~so another type of fix was available).

Has anyone tried the BPI shotshell 209 primer pocket conditioner for making Rem*57 into 209 pockets? I don't own one, but it is supposed to make pockets that are too large, smaller and vice versa. (Might be really useful in making those Rio hulls take a 209 primer) Perhaps I can re engineer one to make the Gun Club plastic basewad Rems into accepting *57, etc.

Your comments please...