The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2021, 07:59 PM   #1
Raylynch

Tokarev safety issue

I have a 1955 Romanian tt33 with Imports safety. The safety flips to the safe position every time I fire it. Has anyone else had this problem and is there any fix for it
Old January 9, 2021, 08:47 PM   #2
Nodak1858

Would guess the small detent pin or spring is missing or messed up so there's nothing on the lever to hold it in the fire position. When you move it by hand is there any resistance?
Old January 19, 2021, 09:51 AM   #3
noelf2

Yes. Same happens with mine. The solution is to remove the safety, which was only added to it for legal importation. I didn't trust that safety anyway.
Old January 19, 2021, 05:49 PM   #4
noelf2

This thread got me remembering a change I've been wanting to make to my Romy Tok since I took the safety off, as it used to have the same problem with it jumping into safe on recoil. It is a pretty common issue. Taking the safety off leaves a big hole through the frame of the gun. I prefer the look of the safety in place rather than having a gaping hole through the frame, so I wanted to try to fix it into the fire position permanently, and forget about it. I had a couple of P-64 safety plungers and they are the right diameter to fit in the hole in the safety lever, but they are way to long. I took a dremel to one of them and shortened it to a length that would allow it to fall into place, but be too tight to allow the lever to move from the fire position to the safe position (I put it together in the fire position, but it could just as easily lock it in safe position if installed wrong). So now I have the safety filling the hole again, but it won't move. Good enough for me!
Old January 20, 2021, 01:01 AM   #5
jmstr

Back around 2012 or 2014 there was a recall on these Romanian Tokarev imports due to safety issues. I believe it related to Century Arms imported guns.

I had a more recent Romanian and had no issues. I sold it for a Polish one- to match my Polish M-N '44 rifle.

Check import markings and do a search for the recall info. I don't know if it applies to YOU or not- but is worth knowing.
Old January 20, 2021, 02:24 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
So now I have the safety filling the hole again, but it won't move.
Nice. So it's clearly on fire and won't move to the safe position.

That's the right way to do it, if you feel it's necessary. What can be really concerning is when people modify guns to remove a safety but without it being obvious. That sets up a situation where a person might believe a gun was on safe when it really isn't. Not that people should be relying on safeties to prevent gun accidents, but still--if a gun looks like it's on safe, it SHOULD be on safe.