The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2020, 09:51 AM   #51
Carriertxv

So to get best performance with HS-6 and or a clean full burn a magnum primer is recommended?

That’ has been my experience.
Old December 13, 2020, 10:02 AM   #52
Hammerhead

HS-6 doesn't require a magnum primer, it just gives better results with one.
Old December 13, 2020, 11:43 AM   #53
totaldla

Ramshot Silhouette is my current fave. Longshot is my 2nd. Both HS6 and Power Pistol are flashy - otherwise great powders. I prefer very little flash.
I run 125gr Brazos Hitek coated right at 1040fps from a 3.1" barrel. I haven't chrono'd a 4" barrel velocity but I'm guessing it would be right at 1100fps.
Old December 13, 2020, 03:31 PM   #54
jag2

I have tried many, but certainly not all. Nobody has mentioned my two favorites. Accurate #5 and Win Autocomp. They feel (thats how I measure things) very similar. A slight preference for #5 but the good thing about Autocomp is availability which is a major factor these days.
Old December 16, 2020, 12:23 PM   #55
Average Joe

BE86, like Power Pistol, with flash suppressors, very good for high velocity loads.
Old December 16, 2020, 07:11 PM   #56
Shadow9mm

Well, I got my hands on N340 and Power Pistol. Have not been able to find BE-86, but but a few buck in my wallet in case I do. Going to load some test loads up to try tomorrow, weather permitting...
Old January 10, 2021, 05:18 PM   #57
Shadow9mm

Well, I got powders and did testing. Power Pistol was what I was looking for, although I am not a huge fan of the bright yellow flash. N340 and hp-38 seemed like they were in the same ballpark, gonna work with them a little more now that I have a good load locked down velocity is just lower than I was looking for. Power pistol seems to have dried up, still looking for more. Also grabbed some Accurate #7 to try out since it was well recommended several times.

Thanks for all the help
Old January 11, 2021, 01:04 PM   #58
Nick_C_S

Quote:
BE86, like Power Pistol, with flash suppressors, very good for high velocity loads.
Yes, BE-86 is just flash-suppressed Power Pistol (PP was formally called BE-84, I believe).

But evidently, the addition of the flash suppressant also made BE-86 a faster propellant than Power Pistol. This is according to an Alliant rep here on TFL a few years ago. It is also from personal experience. I have been using PP for years and have been using BE-86 for a year or two. Although BE-86 is excellent stuff and I am pleased with its performance; it's not quite Power Pistol. BE-86 comes up a little short of Power Pistol velocities. This is not to say that BE-86 is not "very good for high velocity loads." Just saying that they are slightly different propellants.
Old January 11, 2021, 04:08 PM   #59
rc

Blue dot is an old standby for high performance 9mm but it fills the case and needs to be compressed to get it into 9.