The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2020, 10:43 AM   #26
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I haven't tried every powder on the market, but I think you would like Power Pistol.
It gives good velocity and has a bright flash and loud report so you will feel it.

I don't like flash and blast, so I would use N340 for high velocity.

HS6 is fast but dirty.
Very very helpful, thank you. I was leaning towards power pistol, however if I can get the velocity without extra flash and or blast that puts N340 in the front running. N350 seems to perform slightly better, however from what I was reading N350 like a little bit of compression, or more than n340 and that n340 is a better all around powder. Also with N340 bein a tad faster burning I would anticipate it performing better in my compact and sub compact barrels.
Old December 12, 2020, 10:47 AM   #27
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
FYI, it's spelled Hodgdon, not Hodgins or Hodings.

What speed you'll get depends on what exact bullet you use and its OAL.

Not sure what data you're looking at because I don't see a 115 grain bullet at 1199 fps with Accurate #7 in the Western load data. What manual are you using for this?
Fixed spelling , sorry, I was working too fast. Also should have been 1166 with the sierra fmj.

data from westerns website page 8
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...1-2016_Web.pdf
Old December 12, 2020, 10:54 AM   #28
kilotanker22

I am in the group of people suggesting Power Pistol. I am getting 1300 fps with a 115 grain hollow point and I am still within Hornady's published data. My finished length is a little longer than what theirs is, but they fit all my mags and all my handguns as well as my wife's 9mm.

I am using mixed brass (winchester, Fiochi and Blazer, Federal GMM small pistol primers. The winchester brass gets the highest velocity cause it is much thicker than the other two and has less case capacity. This does not seem to effect safety in my particular instance though.

Power Pistol isn't the cleanest burning powder, but it is far and away one of the best powders for 9mm Luger
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old December 12, 2020, 10:58 AM   #29
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
Look in a couple of loading manuals, Lyman has a lot of loads, Pick the ones with highest velocity and test them. Do not exceed max. loads. Pretty easy process.
Ok ok, uncle uncle, I give, I finally bit the bullet, bought a Lyman manual today, should be here Monday. I also need to get an updated lee in the near future, mine is the 2007 edition.
Old December 12, 2020, 11:23 AM   #30
bedlamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm
Ok ok, uncle uncle, I give, I finally bit the bullet, bought a Lyman manual today, should be here Monday. I also need to get an updated lee in the near future, mine is the 2007 edition.
Lee just copies older data from other companies. I would suggest getting the manual of the bullet manufacturer you use most. Powder companies usually publish data online:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
Old December 12, 2020, 11:39 AM   #31
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlamite View Post
Lee just copies older data from other companies. I would suggest getting the manual of the bullet manufacturer you use most. Powder companies usually publish data online:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
For rifle I find myself using hornady most and have purchased the cartridges I use in their electronic manual.

For handguns I don't have one yet. I'm currently just using what I can find. So far that has been hornady XPT 124, Hornady FMJ 115, and Berry Plated in 115g. I am looking into polymer coated lead in the future. I used Winchester 115 hollow base FMJ years back and really liked it, but they are unobtanium right now. For now I need to track down some primers, i only have about 150 left, just enough try some new powders and work some loads up. and yes, berrys plated recommends a max velocity of 1250fps, so they should be fine.
Old December 12, 2020, 12:46 PM   #32
jetinteriorguy

Yup, Power Pistol should do. Unless you dislike muzzle flash.
Old December 12, 2020, 01:12 PM   #33
Mycin

BE-86 seems to be very similar to Power Pistol, but with a flash suppressant. Scuttlebutt is that it's used by major ammo makers for some of their self-defense loads.
Old December 12, 2020, 01:50 PM   #34
T. O'Heir

1190 fps is an Over Max load of HP38 with a 115 according to Hodgdon. I'm think manual differences as it's only 23 FPS.
So is 1047 for a 124. Close enough to be a manual difference thing though.
9mm NATO with its 124 grain jacketed bullet is considered "Hot" and +P by SAAMI. Runs about 1250ish FPS. Nobody publishes what powder they use to get it though. Keep in mind that US ammo is SAAMI spec. European is CIP spec and that is a bit higher than SAAMI.
Longshot, Win572 and HS-6 Max loads go over 1200 with a 115.
"...able to find much load data..." Hogdon's site has lots of WSF 9mm data.
Old December 12, 2020, 01:55 PM   #35
zxcvbob

Quote:
"...[not] able to find much load data..." Hogdon's site has lots of WSF 9mm data.
Thank you. I have not looked there in a couple of years. It used to be a vacuum. I have 8 pounds of WSF that I bought cheap about 10 years ago. It'll be nice being able to use it without "winging it".

(I have used it before in revolver cartridges, using Herco load data and being conservative with it.)

Last edited by zxcvbob; December 12, 2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old December 12, 2020, 02:40 PM   #36
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
Get your hands on the December 2020/January 2021 issue of Shooting Times. They have an article on fast 9mm handloads.
Grabbed one, however it ended up being a February 2021.... how are they releasing magazines 2 months early!
Old December 12, 2020, 02:53 PM   #37
Shadow9mm

Ok, so I think I am settled Got kind of a first second third string thing going so I have some options depending on what I can find.

First string N340 and BE-86

Second string Power Pistol, N350, 3n37

third String HP-38, HS-6

Last edited by Shadow9mm; December 12, 2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old December 12, 2020, 03:39 PM   #38
5whiskey

Another vote for HS6. A minimum charge (5.9 gns) gives me 1090 FPS with a 125gn LRN . And that’s out of a cz P07, whose barrel isn’t quite 4 inches. I had a mid-loaded charge (6.4gn iirc) when I loaded using Dardas cast projectiles. I never chronoed that, but it was wonderfully accurate and recoiled similar to SD ammo. When dardas went out of business and I started casting myself, I tried a handful of rounds loaded to my standard load and immediately noticed the first magazine that they were quite warm. I chucked the rest and changed my standard load to 5.9-6.0 gns. The profile of the lee 356 125 LRN must be significantly different, being a projectile more likely to raise peak pressure. My current load at starting charge weight is a smidge softer recoiling than the load I used with dardas projectiles, but not by much.

All this rambling to say that HS6 will get you where you want to go. And it used to be one of the cheaper/more economical powders. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old December 12, 2020, 04:13 PM   #39
Shadow9mm

Well, I found some Vihtavuori N340... Midway actually had it in stock. However it did cost me $66.21 for 1lb, after shipping, hazmat fee, and tax..... But it should load almost 1300 rounds. Hopefully by that time Things will have settled down a bit and I can find some locally.

Also found some Power Pistol, but that will be a 2hr drive....
Old December 12, 2020, 04:21 PM   #40
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
Another vote for HS6. A minimum charge (5.9 gns) gives me 1090 FPS with a 125gn LRN . And that’s out of a cz P07, whose barrel isn’t quite 4 inches. I had a mid-loaded charge (6.4gn iirc) when I loaded using Dardas cast projectiles. I never chronoed that, but it was wonderfully accurate and recoiled similar to SD ammo. When dardas went out of business and I started casting myself, I tried a handful of rounds loaded to my standard load and immediately noticed the first magazine that they were quite warm. I chucked the rest and changed my standard load to 5.9-6.0 gns. The profile of the lee 356 125 LRN must be significantly different, being a projectile more likely to raise peak pressure. My current load at starting charge weight is a smidge softer recoiling than the load I used with dardas projectiles, but not by much.

All this rambling to say that HS6 will get you where you want to go. And it used to be one of the cheaper/more economical powders. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.
HS-6 is relatively cheap. The shop I usually buy at has it for around $29 per pound, same as HP-38. The HP-38 seemed on the dirtier side, and HS-6 is supposed to be as well from what I have read.
Old December 12, 2020, 04:48 PM   #41
zxcvbob

You might want to use magnum pistol or small rifle primers with HS-6 if you have them. It has a reputation for being hard to ignite. Perhaps that doesn't matter in a small case like 9mm.

$29 a pound is cheap now? It has only been a few years since I bought powder for $19 a pound (Green Dot and Power Pistol) at Cabela's.
Old December 12, 2020, 04:56 PM   #42
Shadow9mm

I remember buying powder at $18 to $19 a lb when I started reloading in the mid 2000s. Here the last couple years though, it seems like powder has been around $28 to $32 per lb for what I have been buying, varget, benchmark, reloader 17, and now HP-24, N340 and the like. The N340 I jus bought was 37.99 for 1lb, not including tax, shipping, and haz-mat... total was 66.21 for 1lb .... My favorite shop does not carry vihtavuori and the 2 that do in my area are out....
Old December 12, 2020, 05:00 PM   #43
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
You might want to use magnum pistol or small rifle primers with HS-6 if you have them. It has a reputation for being hard to ignite. Perhaps that doesn't matter in a small case like 9mm.

$29 a pound is cheap now? It has only been a few years since I bought powder for $19 a pound (Green Dot and Power Pistol) at Cabela's.
I will keep that in mind for the HS6, thank you. I actually have a decent amount of small rifle primers.... wish they were small pistol instead..
Old December 12, 2020, 06:51 PM   #44
Hammerhead

Good choice with the Lyman manual, lots of good 9mm data.
I don't push them all the way to the top of the data, but N340 is far nicer to shoot than PP.
HS-6 with a magnum primer is another low blast choice.
Funny, W231 is one of the top speed powders for 9mm/115 according to Lyman data.
W
Hope to hear a range report.
Old December 12, 2020, 07:23 PM   #45
Carriertxv

I use a lot of HS6 and when used at mid to top of its range it is a clean powder with a magnum primer.
Old December 12, 2020, 07:41 PM   #46
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
I use a lot of HS6 and when used at mid to top of its range it is a clean powder with a magnum primer.
So to get best performance with HS-6 and or a clean full burn a magnum primer is recommended?
Old December 12, 2020, 08:09 PM   #47
HiBC

When Hogdon powder was still primarily Gov Surplus,my local gun store sold me H-4831 for about $2and 50 cents a lb,bring your own bleach bottle.

One thing I have noticed as the years fly by.....

So many times we needed to recognize "THESE ARE the "Good Old Days"

Appreciate them while you live them
Old December 12, 2020, 08:18 PM   #48
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
When Hogdon powder was still primarily Gov Surplus,my local gun store sold me H-4831 for about $2and 50 cents a lb,bring your own bleach bottle.

One thing I have noticed as the years fly by.....

So many times we needed to recognize "THESE ARE the "Good Old Days"

Appreciate them while you live them
That is 100% the truth. Don't ever expect things to be better than they are, don't take them for granted, make the best of what you have in the now.
Old December 12, 2020, 09:39 PM   #49
joneb

I would guess for heavy projectiles Accurate #7 or #9 would be worth a try. For a good performing powder across the bullet weights I would use WSF.
Old December 13, 2020, 01:34 AM   #50
Radny97

Power pistol, HS-6, WSF In that order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk