The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 30, 2020, 12:19 PM   #1
Kurbsky

Is Colt Python 2020 worth $1,500?

After all the dust, delayed demand and zombie movies settle, do you think Colt Python is worth $1,500? I would say, it's a 900 dollars revolver.
Old November 30, 2020, 12:51 PM   #2
jackmoser65

Yes. Everything else is $900 but the Colt has superior fit and finish compared to the rest.
Old November 30, 2020, 01:13 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Not worth it to me.

But then I haven't seen any Colt revolver I felt was worth the asking price since I started paying attention to gun prices in the late 60s. They were all overpriced then, and they're still overpriced now.

Just my personal opinion, and I'm known for being both stuck in the past, and cheap, too!
Old November 30, 2020, 01:59 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Colt has been marketing on the name for eons.
I don't know if the current Python comes with a factory "real gunsmith done" trigger job or not. The factory trigger is what made Pythons a big deal. No mention of the trigger on their site. I don't think they were ever worth a grand myself.
A Performance Center Model 686 runs $1,006.00 MSRP. It's trigger has been factory done.
A Ruger Custom Shop Super GP100 is a bit over $1500.
Old November 30, 2020, 02:06 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

I owned a Python back in the early 70’s and have owned/own three SW 686’s (well, one is a 586) and I prefer each of the 686’s better than the Python. Colt has traded on its name WAY too long. They are very much over priced.
Old November 30, 2020, 02:34 PM   #6
jackmoser65

Much ado about nothing from people who've never handled one, let alone fired one. There is a difference between "over-priced" and something that is priced out of your budget. "Over-priced" indicates a poor value. A new Redhawk is $1000 with the fit and finish of a high school blacksmith project. Smith and Wesson has cut corners to the point that they're hardly better than Ruger. The new Python isn't the old Python. Only thing is has in common is that it looks like a Python and is called Python. The old Pythons were never as good as their legend implied. For years they were over polished turds. I gave them a fair chance and found them wanting. Colt has banked on their name for decades but that does not mean the new guns aren't worth the asking price. The new Python is done right and through modern manufacturing, all that overrated hand fitting is unnecessary. They are actually pretty damned good. The polishing is better than any Smith since before WWII.

Smith's Performance Center and factory gunsmith tuning is way overrated. I have several and they're nothing to get worked up about. Smiths worked over by custom gunsmiths are an order of magnitude better than anything from the PC.
Old November 30, 2020, 03:04 PM   #7
CajunBass

Are they "worth" that much? I don't know. I suppose only you can answer that question. I paid MSRP + tax for each of mine. I wouldn't take that for them now.

Are they worth it? Not if all you want is "a" 357 Magnum revolver. There are plenty of 357's out there for less than what a new Python will run you. I'm not even going to try to tell you the Python will put rounds on the target any better than any of the others. I don't know if they will or not. I doubt I could tell either way.

BUT...if you want a Python, there is nothing else that will scratch that itch. I know. I've wanted one for about forty years, but didn't want to spend the money to get one, even back when Colt was making the original ones, and you could reasonably walk into a gun store and expect to find one on the shelf. I always settled for "just as good." But "just as good" was never quite a Python.

So when Colt bought back the Python, I didn't hesitate. I bought the first one I saw, a 6" one. The 6" one was nice, and I shot it a fair amount, but I still had my heart on a 4" (4.2 actually) one. So I watched Sportsman's Warehouse and once again, hit the "buy it" button the first time I saw one.

Haven't regretted it a bit. I've shot the 6" one, but due to the COVID rules at the local range, the 4" is still unfired outside the factory. I might try to fix that later this week.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 30, 2020, 04:48 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

I've learned a non secret that people will refuse to acknowledge.

"Hand fitting" before precision machining is because in the past ("better years") parts were not manufactured to the at mass tolerances of today. Ie, years ago machining had HIGHER variation. Which makes absolute logical sense.

Hand fitting by itself just acknowledges this issue that the guns of today don't have poor part variation.

Now put that together for someone using "hand fitted" as a plus. Unless it was hand fitted as build request per specs of a person, hand fitted just means the parts started out poor and probably required it to not be junk.
Old November 30, 2020, 04:58 PM   #9
JERRYS.

for the new version? no.
Old November 30, 2020, 05:44 PM   #10
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
I've learned a non secret that people will refuse to acknowledge.

"Hand fitting" before precision machining is because in the past ("better years") parts were not manufactured to the at mass tolerances of today. Ie, years ago machining had HIGHER variation. Which makes absolute logical sense.

Hand fitting by itself just acknowledges this issue that the guns of today don't have poor part variation.

Now put that together for someone using "hand fitted" as a plus. Unless it was hand fitted as build request per specs of a person, hand fitted just means the parts started out poor and probably required it to not be junk.
Though if the design specs are dodgy then the precision manufacturing just means that all the pistols are a bit dodgy without the occasional "really nice" trigger...

When it comes to laying out $1500 I'm a "glass half-empty" type.
Old November 30, 2020, 08:02 PM   #11
Kurbsky

I guess it is hard to put value and rationalize the emotional appeal of something like a Colt Python. Functionally I am 100% satisfied with my 586 and 686 toys. A lot of people feel emotions when they see a shiny polished stainless Python. Not me though. Do I have the same emotions when I see the Royal Blue Python? Yes!!! I hope they make one soon.
Old November 30, 2020, 10:01 PM   #12
Bob Wright

I've been down the trail with the Python. It is a fine revolver, but I left the Python for the S&W Model 586 and never regretted that choice.

In my opinion, the S&W Model 586 is the ultimate of DA .357 Magnum revolvers.

Though, of course, I prefer the SA revolver.

Bob Wright
Old November 30, 2020, 11:01 PM   #13
reddog81

The Python is a $900 revolver??? Even the King Cobra is going for more than that. The cheapest S&W 627 or 686 is around $900 and the PC models are going for closer to $1,300.

If you're going to wait to buy one until they reach $900 you're going to be waiting a LOOOOOONG time.
Old November 30, 2020, 11:32 PM   #14
Kurbsky

900 dollars for 686? I bought my 686 brand new for $750 or so. That was 10 years ago though... maybe 15...I am too old to remember. I still love my 586 more...both are 4" barrels.
Old November 30, 2020, 11:35 PM   #15
dmattaponi

I just wanted to say, “I think Colt Pythons are ugly.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 1, 2020, 12:05 AM   #16
5whiskey

Quote:
900 dollars for 686? I bought my 686 brand new for $750 or so.
I saw a 6” model new with tags a couple years ago about this price. Maybe a bit under but tax would’ve put it over.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old December 1, 2020, 12:18 AM   #17
reddog81

You could get a new 686 for around $700 last year but that doesn’t mean much of anything today.
Old December 1, 2020, 06:53 AM   #18
shurshot

"Much ado about nothing from people who've never handled one, let alone fired one."

Yeah, that pretty much covers it!
Old December 1, 2020, 07:06 AM   #19
FoghornLeghorn

I own several Colt handguns, including two blued Pythons. I've owned several additional Pythons over the years.

I prefer old school and have followed numerous threads over on the Colt forum about the latest iteration of the Python. I have a generally unfavorable opinion of the 2020 Python.

It's not the same thing as the old Python and is of no interest to me at any price.
Old December 1, 2020, 08:27 AM   #20
RickB

They're $1300 at a local store, which had three 4.2" guns in stock.
The new Python is really beautiful, and if they'd had a 6", I might be a Python owner already.
All of this, "I could have this", or, "I could have that"; sure, but you wouldn't have a Python.
Old December 1, 2020, 09:20 AM   #21
wild cat mccane

Someone should post up their Mother's Mag and Aluminum polished 686.

I think the looks are the vent rib (check out the old Taurus 668--vent ribs on even a Taurus look nice) and the polished stainless...

I bet on average a factory 686 has a better trigger and will last longer than a Python.
Old December 1, 2020, 10:21 AM   #22
1911_Hardball

T-Bone steak is currently about $8.00 a pound. Country Style spare ribs are about $2.00 a pound.
Is the T-Bone worth the extra? Not if you like the taste of ribs better than steak.
Anything is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Not a penny more or less.
Old December 1, 2020, 10:23 AM   #23
Targa

Is it worth it? I don’t know but if I could find one for $1500 I would probably buy it.
Old December 1, 2020, 12:31 PM   #24
hub1home

I wish I could find one for $1500. I sure would buy it!
Old December 1, 2020, 12:56 PM   #25
pete2

Yeah, they are worth what they cost. That's the price, that's what they are worth. I plan to buy one after they've been out a few years, price may come down a little and any bugs need to be worked out. I have a blue 6" gun, very nicely built, you can see why it cots more than a 586/686 S&W. I prefer to shoot the S&W guns, they work better for me but I do want a new 4" Python. It is worth the price or people would not buy them.
Closed Thread