The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2020, 05:54 AM   #1
JJ45

Humidity and my 336

I have a Marlin 336, 1961 in 30-30. Straight butt stock. XS peep sights.

Here in PA you have extremes in temperature and humidity...to give an example the wooden door connecting my garage with my basement family room won't fully close in summer, but when Fall/Winter comes and the boiler is on, it shuts as expected

The carbine changes it's POI with changes in the weather. Obviously two things come to mind;
1.The wood needs sealed,,,but how?
2.Might need relieved somewhere (metal. wood, etc.)...also how?

Any suggestions much appreciated
Old November 6, 2020, 08:14 PM   #2
Scorch

To seal the wood on most lever actions, remove the wood from the rifle. This will require disassembling the front end (magazine, barrel tenon, etc) to remove the wood from the magazine tube. For 336s, 94s and 92s, the buttstock comes off by removing the tang screw (at the grip area) and removing the butt stock straight to the rear. Savage 99s have a draw bolt. Remove the wood screws holding the butt plate on toget to it.

Sealing the wood can be tricky as you need to coat the inside surfaces of the wood with a finish that will seal the wood (varnish, TruOil, polyurethane, etc, NOT BLO). I use Q-Tips soaked in finish to reach inside the tight spots inside the forearm and inside the inletting.

The main thing to look for to detect causes of POI shift is binding and pressure points. I don't think I'veever seen a lever gun that shifts POI due to cold or damp conditions. Lever guns are pretty loosey goosey so there's not much binding in them.
Old November 9, 2020, 05:34 AM   #3
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
To seal the wood on most lever actions, remove the wood from the rifle. This will require disassembling the front end (magazine, barrel tenon, etc) to remove the wood from the magazine tube. For 336s, 94s and 92s, the buttstock comes off by removing the tang screw (at the grip area) and removing the butt stock straight to the rear. Savage 99s have a draw bolt. Remove the wood screws holding the butt plate on toget to it.

Sealing the wood can be tricky as you need to coat the inside surfaces of the wood with a finish that will seal the wood (varnish, TruOil, polyurethane, etc, NOT BLO). I use Q-Tips soaked in finish to reach inside the tight spots inside the forearm and inside the inletting.

The main thing to look for to detect causes of POI shift is binding and pressure points. I don't think I'veever seen a lever gun that shifts POI due to cold or damp conditions. Lever guns are pretty loosey goosey so there's not much binding in them.
Scorch...336 pressure points probably at the bands ?? Threads on the rear band are right under the head of the screw, seems to just hold the band in place...any advice appreciated