The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old February 7, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1
briang2ad

SAFE basement .22 shooting

I was shooting into magazines. Then I bought a steel bullet trap (thinking it was better). I saw the spattering, and the evaporating bullets and thought oooops!

Can it be done safely?

Do .22 rounds really give off lead fumes from the primers at the muzzle end? (Some on Rimfire Central claim this).

What do you think of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7sVjP1tk9I

Anyone have links to STUDIES or real facts on .22 shooting in the basement?

Thanks.
Old February 7, 2010, 03:53 PM   #2
jman841

I know there is some bullet trap devices that are designed for indoor shooting, but they are usually pretty pricey. I would also make sure you have good ventilation before firing indoors. The powder reside may not kill you today but I cant imagine it being any good for your body to constantly breath in.
Old February 7, 2010, 04:38 PM   #3
briang2ad

I cannot imagine how many .22 rounds it would take to some close to the hundreds of tank rounds I've fired inside of a closed turret - 105mm and 120mm. I think I'd have to shoot more than I can afford to match the fumes I've sucked in years ago. And that doesn't compare to NCOs who spent 20 years on ranges.

I understand the problem in a smaller indoor range with 10 shooters over an hour or two, and a couple times a week...

I just cannot find anything close to scientific on this.

I cannot get anything to even compare the lead coming from the primer compared to the lead coming from the target.

How is this affected by having an exhaust fan at the window all the basement windows open??? Again, I see nothing analyzing this.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:03 PM   #4
pwillie

When my brother-in-law lived in Wis. he had a basement full length of the house.He set up a 22 rifle range for his son. He used a piece of square steel plate about a 1/4 inch and set it into a deflection box of sand.This rig was about 28x28. He only used 22 shorts.The rig worked very well. I shot it many times with targets taped to the steel backdrop. I think the distance was 30 feet.We had no reason to think it was unsafe.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
velocette

Several manufacturers make what is called .22 CB long cartridges. Just a primer and a pinch of powder. very little report, but works well in a basement range and at basement range distances. They will not cycle an autoloader but do go bang and shoot to POA at basement range distances.
They sure helped me to master class in Bullseye competiton. (well I use-ta could)

Roger
Old February 7, 2010, 07:27 PM   #6
briang2ad

Folks:

The objections I am getting are at the target end - lead dust - which is likely solvable with clay in the target trap, AND LEAD FROM THE .22 PRIMER which goes into the air. Does anyone know anything quantitative about that?

Does the video look safe in regards to LEAD???

How much lead is given off in the primer? Does it hang around?
Old February 7, 2010, 09:49 PM   #7
LongRifles, Inc.

In 2000 I began working at the Aschutz National Service Center in COS, Co. There I did a great deal of work for the resident athletes on the national team at the OTC. The ranges were shut down back then because of exactly what you are describing. (heavy metal contamination)

Aerosolized heavy metals; lead and mercury are real and they are a real mess when shooting indoors. It cost the OTC a figure approaching $250K to have the facility cleaned up. It wasn't just the range, it'd been tracked all over the building and peripheral facilities. this isn't created from bullets splatting targets, It's the vaporized lead that's generated as the guns fired and the trace level mercury that is contained in the priming compound.

If your going to do this in your home, you want some sort of positive ventilation going from you towards the target. You should at the very least wash your hands after plinking and make it a habit to shampoo/vacuum your floors.

As far as a target, try a 1/4 or 3/8 plate of 800bn steel. Mount it on a couple compression springs so that the bullet can decelerate a bit instead of just splatting into a solid face. It may mitigate the shrapnel effect.

www.longriflesinc.com
Old February 7, 2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Creeper

Something that a lot of indoor pellet rifle shooters use is duct seal. Ideal, Gardner and a few other companies make it... sold in 1 lb. bars, it's quite firm, retains it's consistancy hot or cold, and absorbs small projectile impacts nicely.
You need about a 4" depth to stop and trap a .22 caliber pellet at 1000 fps... so figure 50% to 100% more than than that for a .22L.

The projectile seldom fragments, so 99% of it stays in the duct seal until you pick it out.

C
Old February 8, 2010, 08:27 AM   #9
briang2ad

Quote:
It's the vaporized lead that's generated as the guns fired and the trace level mercury that is contained in the priming compound.
Thank you sir. You have experience. Were the cartridges .22? i WAS mostly concerned with the splattering - I also think closed cell foam around the target would help keep that out. But... what of the primer emissions - can a fan in the window of a basement get them out???

I do think the air rifle thing is ridiculous, but an rfc member is sticking to his guns.
Old February 9, 2010, 04:29 AM   #10
kiwi56

Basement shooting

I was lucky enough to be able to get some soft pine end grain slabs and use them in front of a concrete retaining wall to catch bullets, been using the same slabs for over seven years without a problem.
Old February 28, 2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Cap and Ball

Safe,Silent testing

For years I was testing & working on conversions of various firearms. What I needed most was a quick, quiet & safe place to shoot a “22” only. I sleeved all my firearms & made adapter shells containing 22 LR ammo sometimes CB ammo.

I used a 4-foot iron pipe 2-3 inches wide and an elbow at the end.
1. Then jammed the base with cloth (not a lot) it’s function will soon be seen.
2 .Place a generous amount of sand from Home depot into the pipe.
3. Next a block of wood cut & wedged in as an extra safety precaution.
4. 4th & most important I used molding clay ½ lb. or so, MIXED with a MILD amount of glycerin. Not too much, Glycerin will keep it pliable and sticky, “if you can still buy it”. To much ruins the mix.
5. On top of that WET towels.
6. I would place the auto-pistol in the top, wrapping the barrel with wet cloth and fired.
7. Five years never a problem or a neighbor wondering what’s that noise.
8. I placed a steel plate in front of the elbow (mentioned above) it was not needed.

This was not a shooting range only a way to test ideas. Save a trip & expense of a range for a single shot or two. The wet cloth stopped dust & other impurities from coming up into the air & burning. This was done years ago, and to fit the definition of a suppressor then, it had to be Mobile. I never shot anything stronger then a 22, and hopefully this info maybe useful.

Only for information purposes not to be tried at home. I'm sure there may be better ways now. I don't care if you believe it or not.
Old February 28, 2018, 03:30 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

OP is 8 years old.