The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2000, 09:32 AM   #1
mcshot

Saw a used Hatfield in a gun rack and was in awe. What spectacular lines and the wood was extra special. Just can't get it out of my mind but $1,200 seems like a lot of cash for something I don't need.
Anyone familiar with these works of art or experience this delimna before?

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000
Old May 27, 2000, 09:14 PM   #2
2shots

mcshot, $1,200 sounds like a fair price for a Hatfield. These guns never quite took off, partly because of the maple stocks. I believe the action is made here but the barrels are brought in from Italy.
Old May 28, 2000, 04:42 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Hatfield was originally a small shop that made custom muzzleloeaders. They got into making shotguns because they had tons( literally) of good stock wood way too short for the Pa long rifles they made.

Hatfield shotguns are excellent, recalling the classic designs of yesteryear,and made well. Looking through a copy of Double Gun Journal, I see classic Brit Game Guns go for up to $50,000,and field grade Fox, Parker and LC Smith guns go for up to $6,000. So that Hatfield might be quite a deal.