The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 25, 2018, 01:39 PM   #1
turkeestalker

Rimfire Scout Scope Options?

I've got one of the Taurus model 62 'copies' of the Winchester model 62.
Lucky enough to have one of the (slightly cheesy but functional and fun) Taurus tang sights on it.
Love that little plinker.

My favorite LGS has one of the carbine versions of the Taurus 72, (22 Mag), that I saw yesterday LNIB... only without the box.
It does however come with the factory Weaver style scope base which uses the rear sight dove tail to mount forward of the receiver.
I left without buying it but wound up calling him an hour later and asking him to set it back for me to pop in and pick it up early next week.
Just too great a temptation at $335... at least for this weakling it is.

Sorry for the longwinded set up, but what rimfire appropriate extended eye relief scopes are out there to be had?
Not wishing for some mondo magnification uber objective lens monster, nor will I mount a red dot on it.
More along the lines of something lower power, slim and sleek as this is a very 'petite' rifle with the 16.5" carbine barrel. (LOP is only 13" on these rifles)
Besides, being a supposed copy of a Winchester from the 30s and 40s it should at least attempt to look somewhat period correct or try to complement the lines of the rifle.
Old February 25, 2018, 08:39 PM   #2
agtman

I don't know of "rimfire only" scout scopes.

You might try pistol scopes, but on a 16.5" rimfire rifle with a forward rail mount, I don't see why a centerfire Scout scope wouldn't work.

The real choice in a Scout scope is between a fixed power and a variable power. Both types are IER. I prefer the fixed variety.

Currently I'm running a 2.75x Burris Scout scope on my 16.1" .308 Mini-G. On another Mini-G build, intended to be a dedicated 30-06 "hunter," I plan to mount a Weaver 4x Scout scope. Should be good for shots out to 300yds at least.

Other makers, like Leupold, offer fixed and variable power Scout scopes.

The key factor for me, since a forward Scout optic hangs way out there on the barrel, is weight. You can compare all the various models, but some are significantly heavier than others.

And especially on a rimfire, where shots on squirrels and such are inside 100-yds and more likely inside 50-yds, I'd definitely err on the side of lighter-weight over magnification.

Last edited by agtman; February 25, 2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:14 PM   #3
turkeestalker

Thanks agtman, I'll keep that in mind while trying to decide.

Any opinions out there regarding a vintage Tasco Pro Class pistol scope?
One of the Japanese made ones with the 30mm tube?

It's a 1x22 which I kind of like the idea of no magnification, and it has the fading crosshair to the dot center which kind of interests me as well.

Best part is that it is just over 6" long with a straight tube and minimal bell of the eyepiece which equates to 'petite' like the rifle.

Does a Taurus deserve more than a Tasco?
Old March 1, 2018, 08:28 AM   #4
agtman

Quote:
It's a 1x22 which I kind of like the idea of no magnification, and it has the fading crosshair to the dot center which kind of interests me as well.
Best part is that it is just over 6" long with a straight tube and minimal bell of the eyepiece which equates to 'petite' like the rifle.
All that is, is an oversized, weighty, non-magnified dot sight. Why?

If you'd prefer no magnification, you're better served mounting one of the light-weight and inexpensive mini-RDSs on the market, especially on a short-range "plinker"-type .22l.r.

Except for the Aimpoint T1/H1 models, most aren't that pricey. I paid $130 or so for a Sig Romeo5 when it was on sale, and couldn't be happier.

The default host for mini-RDSs is typically some AR variant, but you can run them on any rifle with proper picatinny mounts.

Quote:
Does a Taurus deserve more than a Tasco?
Probably not.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Don Fischer

I have a Marlin 783 22 mag. Used to have an inexpensive 3-9x scope on it but the adjustment caps kept falling off so I switcher a few days ago to a really old Weaver K4 that has been laying around to long.

Saw an article on firing the 22 mag, even gave BC of the different bullet's in them and velocity. I picked out what I shoot and ran it through my Chronogrph ballistic computer but sighted it for MPBR. Interesting what I got: MPBR is 147yds, -2.1 at 150yds. Zero range is 147 yds, huh. +1.7 high at 100 yds. Now the bullet will never be over 2" high to 147 yds and at 150 yds will be 2.1" low. Pretty flat for a 22 rimfire.

Believe I'll keep the 4x scope on it for awhile although, at 150yds shooting at the head of a rabbit, might be better off with some inexpensive 3-9x.
Old March 3, 2018, 02:04 PM   #6
turkeestalker

Thanks again for the input.

I had said in my original post that I would not mount a red dot on this little rifle.
Red dots have their place but I don't believe that place would be on top of a copy of an iconic vintage 22 rifle.

Probably bad enough that I've any inclination to even mount an optic on it, but the manufacturer sold it with that option included.
That combined with my mid 50s vision and the fact that an optic negates the issue of focusing behind iron sights, what's the downside?

I received the rings yesterday and the scope itself today in the mail and I'm tickled.
Being a 30mm tube it's not as slim and sleek as I'd have liked, but it certainly is 'petite' and I like the way it looks mounted, (less the silver accents).

I'll likely never hunt with this but will definitely play with it at the range if it's as fun to shoot as the 62 that I have, and I intend to find out this afternoon when my oldest gets off of work.

The fading crosshair to dot center is really kind of cool to me having never used a reticle like that before.
Betting that it will do well reducing clay birds to smaller and smaller bits, we'll see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180303_124616193.jpg (223.7 KB, 278 views)