The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 25, 2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

what would you do

Have a friend who needs to get a concealed hand gun and perhaps a shotgun for the home. What you you all recommend for;
1- personal carryin a revolver 38 or 357 for everyday carry?
2- home protection like a shotgun?
When at home all would be locked in a gun safe that his kids would not be able to get to.
Please feel free to weigh in on this. I have always been asking advice but never being the advisor. I will take him to try out the various snubs and go for his permit as I will have to moving to a new state.
Thaks in advance.

Doc
Old August 25, 2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Doyle

Before giving advise on actual firearms, can you tell us a little more about him and his needs? Experience with firearms? Does he plan on getting professional training? Will he feel comfortable carrying a firearm? Will his normal dress allow flexibility with how/what he carries or is his normal dress a limiting factor?
Old August 25, 2016, 10:22 PM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

For carry any J-frame or LCR.

Shotgun, Rem 870 or Moss 500 are the safe bets, but I prefer an O/U double with #4 high brass birdshot.
Old August 26, 2016, 12:22 AM   #4
gbran

All guns in the home in a locked safe? I always had one gun quickly accessible. I bought a locking nightstand, kept the gun inside an open drawer, pushed it shut and locked it upon getting up.
Old August 26, 2016, 12:42 AM   #5
Stargater53

Mossberg 500 Marine chromed shotgun and a (newly released) S&W Combat Magnum or used stainless Ruger Speed-Six or Security-Six .357. If he's going to be a shooter, I also like the 4-inch 686/681. If it's just going to be a drawer gun, he might be happy with a Rossi .357.

We don't know how much experience he has or how he intends to use the guns. Does he want them for range use, outdoor use such as camping, hiking or fishing? Would he consider other handguns other calibers? Does he have a budget? /Mmm
Old August 26, 2016, 12:48 AM   #6
Deaf Smith

No problem!

1. 6 shot S&W K frame .38/.357 snub like S&W 66, 64 or Colt Detective Special.
2. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 18 inch 12gauge with magpull stock and tac-star 4 shot side saddle.

Add a Sentry bio-handgun safe (I have one) for the revolver and a Sentry corner long gun safe for the shotgun.

Deaf
Old August 26, 2016, 12:52 AM   #7
Radny97

If he's on s budget and these guns are purely for self protection, carry, and home defense I would recommend an LCR in 38 special and a short barreled Remington 870.
If he has other possible uses and s bigger budget I would recommend a Model 60 Pro Series and one of the many CZ shotguns.
Old August 26, 2016, 12:59 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Another vote for the LCR/870 battery.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 26, 2016, 07:12 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Vote for the LCR/870 too.
Old August 26, 2016, 07:36 AM   #10
Lohman446

I'm going to go slightly different. If I am given the criteria of owning a single pistol and it is a revolver it is likely to be a Ruger SP101 in .357 and its going to be the 3" barrel.

A good gun belt, a good holster, and the extra weight of the SP101 does not take much to get used to. That extra weight when firing 38 specials - makes the gun a big kitty [edited - previously censored] cat. When I hike and carry that handgun I loaded it with very heavy cast ammo. I'm sure the weight helps but this is as light of a .357 as I would consider running that heavy ammo through. Recoil is... noticeable.

Last edited by Lohman446; August 26, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old August 26, 2016, 10:21 AM   #11
FAS1

Quote:
Have a friend who needs to get a concealed hand gun and perhaps a shotgun for the home. What you you all recommend for;
1- personal carryin a revolver 38 or 357 for everyday carry?
2- home protection like a shotgun?
When at home all would be locked in a gun safe that his kids would not be able to get to.
Then I would use whatever he decides to carry for home defense as well since it is easier to safely store and have quick access next to the bed.

My son and his wife have an LCR that she uses for double duty for the size and simplicity. He is getting ready to buy a G19 for him.
Old August 26, 2016, 12:07 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

1) Whatever fits his hand best. An LCR(Think Model: 5431, if he opts for one.) may not if he has big hands or even normal sized hands. Too small is fairly easy to fix by changing the grips. Too big is not so easy. Take him shopping to try a few on for size. A short barrel may not be right for him either. Then to a training facility.
2) 18 or 20 inch, 12 or 20 Ga., pump gun. Which one doesn't make a great deal of difference. His budget will determine that anyway. Take him shopping to try a few on for size(shotgun has to fit too). Then to a training facility.
Old August 26, 2016, 03:47 PM   #13
jumpingeezer

I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and don't like to carry a heavier revolver concealed anymore. I prefer the S&W J-frame revolvers to the Ruger LCR but that is just a personal choice. Either one should serve very well.

As far as shotguns go, everyone has mentioned the Rem.870 and the Mossberg 500. I concur with those recommendations. I also like the Ithaca Model 37 but they are harder to find and usually command a higher price.
Old August 26, 2016, 09:24 PM   #14
Doc Holliday 1950

These are great suggestions. He sells houses and Condos and sometimes it gets dangerous. He's in his 50's and has never even thought about a gun till he accidently saw my SP101 357 2.25" under my shirt. I don't think that $$$ matters to him. So, I'll keep my promise and take him to someplaces and get him to try as many revolvers as possible.
Once we zero in the "the one" then he goes to a pro to learn how to shoot and we'll all go together to practice and go for our carry permits. My wife and I have to change over our Tn. permits for Fl. ones.
Especially like the recommendations for shotguns since I don't have one. Thanks.
You all have never let me down yet and almost everyone has given super advice.
This is a great forum.

Doc
Old August 26, 2016, 10:06 PM   #15
seeker_two

I concur with all the revolver suggestions, but I'll go a different way on the shotgun. I recommend one of the Mossberg 500 HD models in .410. They tend to be light and easy to handle yet are low in recoil. And .410 000 buck is devastating out of a full-size shotgun.
Old August 26, 2016, 10:07 PM   #16
Sequins

I only have Rugers so I can only speak to them, but if he goes the ruger route I think for a revolver he might really prefer an SP101 over a LCR. Also, don't let him get suckered in by .357 magnum loads 2hen .38spl will do fine. If he's a new shooter a solid FBI load .38spl will do him right.

When it comes to which gun I find people can easily determine their own best ergonomics and so by trying a lot will find the one they like best. However, when it comes to caliber that's simply not the case. I see people say all the talk about how they shoot X big bore better than Y small bore. I think that it's all ego and tbh most people can't help themselves and will instinctively go for a big caliber when they should start with a moderate, easy to handle caliber to learn to shoot.

In terms of a shotgun he ought to consider a Mossberg, my 870 was junk.

Last edited by Sequins; August 27, 2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old August 26, 2016, 10:39 PM   #17
ChiefTJS

I'd take him to the range first and let him shoot what you have. One round may have him rethink the whole thing. A snub .38 or .357 is not a novice gun by any stretch. I hate when I see people recommend them to non shooters. I don't recommend anybody carry a gun or get a permit until they know in and out how to safely handle firearms and not be afraid of them.
Old August 27, 2016, 10:38 PM   #18
Doc Holliday 1950

what to carry

I fully understand your post to my question. In this man's World he needs to carry a very unobvious weapon.
Me' I'd show him the Smith 686 or a Ruger Sp101 2.25a' or even ruger LCR 357 or the equivalent Smith snub. Let him makeup his own mind. I will keep my word and pratice with him, but he must take a pro course on guns before he can get hit permit to carry in Fl. and that I would go shoot with him.

Doc
Old August 27, 2016, 10:41 PM   #19
Kennydale

My home protection is what I carry a Glock G17 (At home it has the 33 round magazine)
Old August 28, 2016, 05:00 AM   #20
peggysue

Home protection a DP-12 double barrel pump gun. 16 rounds
Carry Ruger Alaskan 454 in a simply rugged pancake holster 6 rounds

I have them all
Old August 28, 2016, 06:08 AM   #21
Mobuck

I sometimes carry a 5 shot SP101 but feel it doesn't have the amount of on-board firepower that might be necessary. If the OP feels more comfortable with a revolver and is willing to accept the limited ammo available, that's what he should do.
A pump shotgun is a viable home defense tool even in 20 gauge.

The problem I see is locking the guns up inside the home. This is a BAD CHOICE. If you can't control or properly supervise your kids, put the HD gun out of their reach but DON'T LOCK IT AWAY FROM READY ACCESS.
Old August 28, 2016, 07:51 PM   #22
Doc Holliday 1950

I'll pass that on. About difference between the 38 and 357 for us is weight, especially in the LCR.The 3 or 4 extra ozs. makes a big balance difference for my wife. Her choice and I agreed with her. The 357 allows the person to shoot 3 or 4 different types of loads which makes it very versatile to me.
But as suggested above I will take 3 of my Rugers to the range and let him fire the LCR, the SP101 and the GP 100 4". This should be interesting. If he likes any of the Rugers then I'll get him to try to then get him to rent out and try a similar in a Smith.

Doc