The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2016, 07:10 PM   #151
DHart

Their loss indeed. A lot of people are just lemmings anyway. I'll bet that most of those who are trading in their 40s rarely, if EVER, even shot them.

It's said that most of those who buy guns rarely, if ever, even shoot them. Many people simply buy a gun because they want to HAVE a gun, not necessarily SHOOT guns.

There are some great deals on awesome 40&S&W pistols these days. It's a mighty fine caliber indeed. A wonderful combination of controllable power and high capacity.

It's nothing even close to "Game Over" for .40S&W. The caliber is widely used and will continue to be. Far more so than many other calibers like .357 SIG, .45 GAP, 10mm, .38 SPL, .357 MAG, .44 SPL, .44 MAG, .32 auto, etc. I'd say those calibers are in far less demand by handgun buyers and far less used by those who shoot guns today, but it isn't "Game Over" for them either.

"Game Over"? An expression of hyped drama, that's all.

9mm is probably the most popular defense gun caliber among ordinary citizens in the USA and is likely to continue to be. But that doesn't mean than .40 or .45 are going away. They're not and they won't be.

Last edited by DHart; October 1, 2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old September 30, 2016, 07:15 PM   #152
Oysterboy

No sir we are not. We are men!
Old October 1, 2016, 12:54 PM   #153
P5 Guy

Some of us never did the lemming like dash to 40S&W.
Old October 1, 2016, 07:12 PM   #154
seeker_two

It amazes me that the same people who questioned the FBI's motives in not recommending prosecution for HRC are willing to accept the FBI's judgement about the .40S&W.....
Old October 1, 2016, 07:15 PM   #155
Strafer Gott

I like the increase in capacity over a .45. A Sig 229 in .40 , or the CZ Tactical sport in .40 just impress the hell out of me. YMMV. I don't carry boutique loads generally, but I do like those HST's. Plenty good.
Old October 1, 2016, 07:23 PM   #156
DHart

Quote:
It amazes me that the same people who questioned the FBI's motives in not recommending prosecution for HRC are willing to accept the FBI's judgement about the .40S&W.....
Agree. And personally, what the FBI chooses, or does not choose, has no bearing whatsoever on my personal choices. I choose calibers and pistols based on my personal experience and analysis, not on any agency choices. After all, look at the cars the government buys for their employees. Yuck. I wouldn't want them for free.
Old October 1, 2016, 07:35 PM   #157
Lohman446

FBIs motives which time in regards to the 40? Pretty hard to argue both for and against the FBI in the same cogent argument
Old October 1, 2016, 08:25 PM   #158
Woolecox

My Sig P229 SAS in 40 S&W is one of my favorite pistols. It has a great trigger and is very accurate. I just loaded up 500 rounds of Gold Dot 165’s last week. It likes this loads a lot and so do I. I also put a CT laser grip on it.
Old October 1, 2016, 08:34 PM   #159
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
FBIs motives which time in regards to the 40? Pretty hard to argue both for and against the FBI in the same cogent argument
....and yet the FBI does it often....
Old October 1, 2016, 09:03 PM   #160
DHart

I agree with many of the points made by the FBI in their decision. But do not come to the same conclusion for MY personal needs. And, they fail to address a significant element - busting through barriers and busting through bone obstacles.

And I see nothing in the FBI rationale to motivate me to sell my 10mm, .45auto, and .40S&W semi-auto pistols. (I'm not selling my 9mm pistols, either.)

The FBI bases it's penetration and expansion comparison on ballistic gelatin with one or two layers of denim. Unfortunately, that is an exceptionally imperfect model of the human body or an animal's body. Experienced hunters will know this better than anyone.

While the best 9mm of premium defense ammo may perform somewhat similarly (though not exactly as well) as .40 and .45 in ballistic gelatin, the greater ability of the heavier .40 and .45 caliber bullets to smash through harder obstacles and bone is a factor.

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't trust, nor carry a 9mm pistol, as I do, on occasion, when I need to carry a really small pistol.

I don't think 9mm is necessarily a bad choice for law enforcement or military, particularly since so many LE shooters are "struggling shooters" who get very little practice. Capacity is important and so is ease of handling recoil. 9mm has capacity and clearly is easier for "struggling shooters" to handle. And it can reasonably be rationalized and said that it is "good enough" for agency use, particularly where budget is a major driver in the decision!

So, I don't think 9mm is a terrible move for LE, but it's not necessarily a good move for me as a civilian well familiar with shooting various calibers and who practices regularly.

As the article mentions, Glock 40s were the pistols that struggling shooters were having a hard time with. Part of this is the platform itself. Forty caliber Glocks, especially the G23 and the G27 are especially snappy. And even MORE so with 155 gr. and 165 gr. ammo. Other platforms (Browning HiPower, M&P, Sig P320, HK VP40, etc.) handle .40 caliber much more comfortably and "softer" than the Glock forty caliber models do. And selecting 180 gr. ammo in .40S&W caliber also provides a softer felt-recoil. These are significant factors which were not addressed in the "report"!

For the regular civilian who can choose the best platform for themselves as well as the best caliber for themselves, following the FBI in lock-step doesn't make any sense. Though it might for newbie and "struggling shooters".

For an experienced shooter who is skilled and practices regularly, choosing .45auto or .40 caliber in a platforms like the M&Ps, HK, and Sig P320s can make plenty of sense. If not, I guess we all need to sell all the pistols and calibers that we own and just buy Glock 17s and Glock 19s. No point in having, nor relying upon anything by 9mm, eh? Not!

I like the G17 and the G19 and shoot them. Same with the G21SF and G30. I've used these guns for years. I also have a G23, a G23 Gen 4, and a G22 Gen 4. Compared to the M&Ps, Browning HiPowers, VP40, and Sig P320s (all in forty) I find the Glock forty caliber pistols to be harsher and "sharper" in recoil.

For carry and defensive use, I prefer 180 gr. HST in .40 caliber, with an M&P40, M&P40C, or P320 platform. I shoot these pistols well in this caliber; they are soft-shooting and easy to shoot, and they don't lose much capacity to 9mm. What they do offer is a greater ability to bust through heavy bone, such as is likely to be encountered by the outstretched arms of an assailant, coupled with heavier clothing, and breastbone - other obstacles like glass, and in defense of animals who have plenty of heavy bone to deal with, as well. .45auto and .40S&W can outperform 9mm in penetrating these and other obstacles.

A real human adversary, with arms outstretched in front of himself, presents a far different set of target characteristics than a block of jello with two pieces of denim on front of it.

Those who choose to carry 9 (rather than 40 and 45) are certainly free and welcome to make this personal choice. I don't mind at all. If you are happy with it, then I am content and happy for you!

But 9mm is not MY first choice in a defensive pistol caliber, regardless of what the bureaucrats decide to choose for the men and women who go into harm's way every day to serve and protect us. I know there are many LE personnel who would not be happy about having to move to 9mm.

I put more faith and trust in a heavier bullet (180 gr. or 230 gr. HST, Gold Dot, Ranger, etc.) carrying more momentum to bust through bone and obstacles. And I shoot them enough to be competent with them. I happen to be among those of us who are not "struggling shooters" under a government agency directive.
Old October 3, 2016, 05:42 AM   #161
Mike Irwin
Staff

"That last part is patently untrue, Mike. The "problem", for the Army, was that the .38 Long Colt was too weak, and other counties were using newfangled self loading pistols and they wanted one, too ..... they did some testing in 1904 and concluded that they wanted a.45 cal bullet, as a minimum. JM Browning was working with them on an autoloading pistol in .41 cal .... and adapted it to a larger bullet ..... voila': The .45ACP.

Therefore, the .45ACP was the solution to several problems that The Army, Colt, and John Moses Browning asked ..... I would have expected you to know that, Mike. ..... but as DHart noted, some people say stuff because it sounds cool, true or not ......."

Well, the .45 was a "solution" to a problem that existed for a very brief period of time, and which was never solved by the .45 (in that case, the .45 Long Colt revolver), so by the time the .45 ACP actually hit the ground running, it was, literally, a solution in search of a question.

Now, had the military been expecting to face docile steers as their next combatant backed up by a few cadavers suspended by the wrists, then yes, the .45 was very much the solution to an extant and urgent problem...

Few factiods... The problem that the .45 was supposedly the solution to, the drugged up Moro tribesmen, turned out to also be extremely transient and still wasn't sorted out by the .45 (Colt revolver).

Yes, it was somewhat more effective than the .38 Long Colt, but it wasn't the Lazor Beem of Splooshy Deth!!! that so many have made it out to be over the years as justification for the mythical status of the .45 ACP.

What's also relatively unknown (or ignored) is the failure of the OTHER .45 in the Philippines, the .45-70 out of the Trapdoor Springfield... That's right, Moros hit with a 405-gr. bullet traveling at roughly twice the speed of the .45 revolver round still had the temerity to not immediately vaporize in a red mist.

About the only thing that really worked against a pissed off Moro was a load of buckshot out of one of the Winchester 12 gauge shotguns...

Which oddly enough were primarily given to Philippine Constabulary troops, with relatively few being given to Americans.

As for the advancement to a semi-automatic, that would have happened no matter whether anyone built/worshiped at the altar of the .45 or not. So that's not really part of the equation.

So yeah, you're right about one thing... some people say stuff just because it sounds cool, not because it's, like, really true or anything, but because it supports the godhead myth that is John Browning and His sacred sword of righteousness, the .45 ACP.

Sigh...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 3, 2016, 05:56 AM   #162
Sarge

Lightnin' gonna strike you now, Irwin
Old October 3, 2016, 06:08 AM   #163
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Lightnin' gonna strike you now, Irwin"

Good. My sacred cow steak is a little on the rare side, even for me.

Old October 6, 2016, 05:32 AM   #164
rightside

Oh Mike!!
I'll be sending prayer requests...
Old October 6, 2016, 05:55 AM   #165
Mike Irwin
Staff

MOO!

Old October 7, 2016, 04:15 PM   #166
Dashunde

What'd everybody turn Hindu? No one trying to take a bite out of the Sacred Cow for his blasphemous thinkin' on JMB and his 1911?
Bunch'a chickens...
Old October 7, 2016, 04:53 PM   #167
Deaf Smith

Wal-Mart around here just had a sale! 250 rounds of Remington UMC 180 gr FMJ .40 S&W for $48 bucks. Yes 48 of 'em. That computes to bit over $9 per 50.

I got one 250 round pack just to add to the .45s I keep in an ammo can. I have 9mm, .357 Sigs, .40s, and .45s. Plus the .38s and .44s I use a lot in the field.

.40 dead? Nope! Not even close.

Deaf
Old October 7, 2016, 05:37 PM   #168
Oysterboy

I got five 250 packs for $45 each at Walmart. I've shot two boxes so far.
Old October 7, 2016, 08:36 PM   #169
agtman

Yep, ... perused two of the better LGSs today.

Gawd, the .40 dumpage is massive, continuing to bleed out and somewhat painful to watch, ... but happening it is.

Some say the 9 was always fine, ... and we're only remembering what we once forgot.
Old October 7, 2016, 09:14 PM   #170
DHart

Mmmm. Me loving .40 caliber. Awesome choice. Soft-shooting, accurate, high capacity, potent.

10 yards off hand

The current fad creates bargains for others. Plenty of us are adding more forties to the stables.

Fortys that are hastily traded for nines will all be snapped up over time.

No worries, folks, forty ain't going away. Nine is fine. Forty is fine +P.

Last edited by DHart; October 7, 2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old October 7, 2016, 09:27 PM   #171
DHart

Quote:
Oh, sure it is!

Lately? Yeah, but NO. They had it right when they went to forty, they just picked the wrong platform (Glocks in .40S&W) and the wrong bullet weight (155/165 vs. 180). And now, they're just reacting hastily and impulsively.

I'll give them this much: Glock 17 and 19 are better choices than Glock 22 and 23. Beyond that, they're just another government agency making agency-like choices which don't necessarily translate to the best choices for individuals.

Given all the stupid crap that Comey and the FBI agency has been up to lately, their credibility is totally shot. Following lock-step with the rest of our f#@ked up government.

No sense for individuals, these days, to follow them like puppy dogs without a clue.

Last edited by DHart; October 7, 2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old October 7, 2016, 09:55 PM   #172
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart
Amen. Copshop M&P40c came today. Real decent trigger for an MP. Five at 25 yards, standing unsupported.

Old October 7, 2016, 10:03 PM   #173
DHart

Quote:

Quote:
Amen. Copshop M&P40c came today. Real decent trigger for an MP. Five at 25 yards, standing unsupported.
Nice score! The M&P40C is one of my most favorite pistols. I bought one in 2007 and like it so much that I snagged another a couple of weeks ago when CDNN had them on sale. Great pistols in a great caliber. Very soft shooting, accurate, reliable, and effortless to carry. Packs a nice punch, too!

Tags
40cal , edc , glock , springfield