The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 26, 2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Prof Young

Taurus Tracker 357 mag

Please tell me about your Taurus Tracker 357 mag.

Thanks.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 27, 2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Dave Chuppa

Accurate. Handles full house 357 well. I use it as a Range Gun and Camping Gun. The ports make it a little loud but you should never shoot without hearing protection so no big deal. It's the only 4" 357 I have. I've had others but this being a 7 shooter I kept it and sold the others.
Old January 28, 2017, 11:20 AM   #3
tallball

I have the 22LR/22 magnum version. The DA trigger is kind of stiff, but other than that it is an excellent revolver. It is quite accurate and has given me zero problems.
Old January 28, 2017, 12:24 PM   #4
shootniron

I have the .44 version...did good for about 500rds of .44 special loads...problems started and it is in the safe now, needs to be returned again, but I am tired of paying to send it back. Taurus has NEVER paid for it to go back for service.
Old February 1, 2017, 09:15 PM   #5
cole k

Sound's formilar, mine was their copy of the S&W Model 10. I sent it back the third time. That time they sent me gun with a deff SN. It had the same problem after 12 rounds. I willn't own another Taurus.
Old February 3, 2017, 01:27 PM   #6
V-fib

Taurus 627 SS tracker

My Taurus 627 tracker with the 6.5" ported barrel is very enjoyable to shoot with any .38/.357 ammo. very accurate and i like the 7 shot cylinder. have never had any problem with it.

v-fib
Old February 3, 2017, 02:50 PM   #7

A friend of mine has one and I've shot it.

He seems happy with it. Me? Feels / functions like someone carved a revolver out of a driveway paver.

When it comes to firearms, I expect exceptional performance. You won't find that in ANY Taurus.
Old February 3, 2017, 03:24 PM   #8
badge851

I have two Taurus® TRACKER™s, both with 4" barrels. One is a stainless 425 in 41 Remington® Magnum, the other is a blued model 992 22LR/22Mag convertible. Additionally, I possess a Taurus® stainless model 617 in 357 Mag. This is the same size & frame of the TRACKER™ albeit with a shorter 2¼" barrel.

All are excellent guns, accurate, dependable, and inexpensive. Outstanding value IMHO.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old February 3, 2017, 07:40 PM   #9
bodrika

My first revolver was a Tauras 7-shot 357 mag titanium. For a year I practiced single-action only, then when I got good at that, started doing double-action. I started having 3 out of 7 light primer strikes consistently. Taurus wanted me to pay shipping, which would have been about $60. I tried to find a local gunsmith but nobody was willing to touch a Taurus. I finally got my FFL to ship it for $15.

It came back with the same problem. I was at the range and the guy next to me also had a Taurus. I asked him if he'd ever had any problems. He said no, it's worked perfectly. I asked if he ever fired his double-action. He kind of shrugged, then tried using double-action. He had 2 out of 5 light primer strikes.

This time, the Taurus guy on the phone must have been in a good mood as he sent me a shipping label. It went back, came back, and I sold it off with full disclosure.

I bought a Ruger to replace it. The fit and function of the Ruger made the Taurus look and feel like a cheap toy. Consider the recent recall of about a million Taurus handguns. They had a semi-automatic and an automatic setting – for the automatic setting all you had to do was drop them.

I have a lot of Brazilian friends. Great guys, lots of fun, but they are not precision people. They are never even remotely on time. Just look at what problems Brazil had with the Olympics. They are also one of the few nations with an aircraft carrier, but in the fifteen or so years they've had it, it's only spent a few months at sea as they just can't get it running right. They are not a technical nation. The next time I see the words “Made in Brazil”, I’m walking away.
Old February 3, 2017, 08:36 PM   #10
MoDock

I got the 627 6 1/2 ported barrel on sale at Bud's so it was pretty cheap. Never
had a problem with it and it turned out to be a fun gun. I never worry about dirt, scratches etc, and I never compare it to my S&W 686. We have put a lot of 357 and 38 through it.
Old February 4, 2017, 12:04 AM   #11

Friends don't let friends use any Taurus for protection.

They are fine for plinking, range shooting, and hunting (non-dangerous game).
Old February 4, 2017, 02:08 AM   #12
samsmix

"These are not precision people".

I remember thinking of my last several experiences with Taurus and Rossi (these were NOT precision made weapons!!!) as I boarded an Embraer 135 for a flight over salt water. Not a comforting thought!

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 4, 2017, 01:01 PM   #13
bodrika

"I remember thinking of my last several experiences with Taurus and Rossi (these were NOT precision made weapons!!!) as I boarded an Embraer 135 for a flight over salt water. Not a comforting thought!"

Good Lord, at least I haven't had that terrible experience. You get into something made by Brazilians, or something made by them in your hand, and you lose all faith in human technology.

Brazil also had a hell of a time getting their satellite program off the ground, quite literally. Dozens have died trying to what the Soviets first did half a century ago.

Their imprecision seems to be a long-standing tradition. Richard Fenyman, a physicist and key player in the Manhattan Project, taught physics in Brazil in the 1950's. He said that while the high-level students could cite back tenets of physics without a problem, it was all abstract to them as they had zero ability to combine those tenets and create an application. They had all the pieces of the puzzle, but loose and scattered without being able to put them together to make a picture. That seems to be the situation today.

I love their big personalities, gorgeous women, and chiaroscuro, but stay away from any of their hardware.
Old February 4, 2017, 03:15 PM   #14
Ricklin

Dental Eq.

We have a brand in my business, that has the major parts and assemblies made in Brazil.
I repped this line for a VERY short time, Pure junk. In this companies case the parts from Brazil were quite good. Their assembly and finishing operation in the USA.....not so much.
Very pleased with my Taurus 94, I like the little 9 shooter. D/A trigger is high effort. but that's not the guns fault, it's a combo of frame size and .22 LR. Trigger is very good single action. Trigger got a LOT better with extensive dry firing, with snap caps.

How much difference can manufacturing tech or lack thereof make with a product design 150 years old or thereabouts?

Seems like every gun manufacturer has actually followed Taurus's lead these days, the customer does their QC. I'm not saying that's right.........
Old July 14, 2018, 06:10 AM   #15
R.A.N.G.E.R

Quote:
I love their big personalities, gorgeous women, and chiaroscuro, but stay away from any of their hardware.
Haha, as summary comment this expresses your opinion pretty well. I can only hope they built mine right (and that this one sample disproves the generalization!)

I bought the 627 in 6.5” used, but in VG+ visual and dry operational* condition. I’m looking for a range & fun, er, plinking piece. The price was right-ish. They had just shown me an S&W with quite a bit of age that had great fit, but was 3x the price.

I hope it works well: I’ve wanted 357 since shooting one in the 60’s. We had a lot of fun plinking and target shooting at a ranch in South Grorgia. Even then ammo wasn’t inexpensive, but I still remember pitching in and thinking what a bargain it was in entertainment value!

I wonder if there is a way to touch up the inevitable finish bubus?

*it looked and felt pretty good
Old July 14, 2018, 07:57 PM   #16
Kenpo_Joe

I've have a Tracker in 357 ever since they first came out. I've had no problems using it in single or double action. My friend who owns a S&W in 45 Colt and three in 357 tried it out and he went out and bought one too. He has had no problems with it after 500 rounds.
Old July 14, 2018, 09:22 PM   #17
GarandTd

I just shot a co-workers stainless 4" 66. It was lighter than I expected and much softer shooting and quieter than I expected. I don't know which ones, but they were 357 hp rounds. I was impressed.
Old July 15, 2018, 02:23 PM   #18
turkeestalker

I do not own a Tracker, so I can't give you an honest first hand opinion.
I do own an 83, an 85, a 431, and a 608.
The 608 was purchased with possible issues which it proved to have, but even as a wanna-be smith with no professional training I worked through them on my own and the revolver is now free of any issues.
The other three, of which two were purchased used and one new, have been flawless from the get go.
I also own three Taurus rim fire rifles, a 62, 63, and 72, all have been flawless.

I love reading how horrible all Taurus are and even more so how no one should ever let a friend buy or much less trust their lives to Taurus... just makes me smile.
Makes me smile even broader to hear things like, not precision... carved out of... and on and on.
Had I listened to that dribble I wouldn't be the happy owner of the seven that I have.
Wouldn't have learned what I have by muddling through and fixing the one out of those seven that did in fact have issues.

You've got to find out for yourself Prof Young, I am very glad that is what I chose to do.
Old July 16, 2018, 09:04 PM   #19
Buckeye!

I have had good luck with Taurus... But now they offer only a one year warranty on the 2018 production firearms ....
I own a Taurus TCP .. It runs perfectly... but I must admit there is only 2 other models I would consider PT111 and PT709 ... but only if I got a very good price on ethier
Old July 19, 2018, 12:51 PM   #20
Prof Young

Inconsistent quality

I've owned a number of Taurus weapons. My 44 mag Raging Bull worked well and I shot it a lot but it had spring problems with the star that one pushes to eject the empties. Had a Taurus PT-22 that was way fun to shoot, but also went to the shop twice.

All you have to do is read any thread about Taurus in this forum to realize that Taurus guns have inconsistent quality. You may spend a couple hundred bucks on one and have a great gun for the rest of your life. You might spend half a grand on one and have a piece of junk. I'd say the bottom line is that buying a Taurus is a risk. Don't buy one that you haven't handled and if possible shot.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 23, 2018, 10:31 PM   #21
kenny53

The only Taurus I own is a model 85 in 38 special. Wife's night stand gun. It has always gone bang.