The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2018, 07:43 AM   #1
pdlloyd975

Ultralite 44 mag S&W vs Taurus vs?

Greetings all.. i'm new to the forum. I have the Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull.. I've shot it many times...It kicks like i'd expect it to. It's a very accurate pistol. I bought it to carry bear hunting, but after the first few times, the weight has me rethining. I'm also carrying a rifle, so, I'm thinking an ultralight 44 mag in place of it for that purpose. I know they kick like a mule, but it wouldn't be a "range gun".. Toying w/either the S&W 44 mag Airlite or the Taurus 44 mag Ultralite titanium.. Any guidance / thoughts / experiences with either? I'm not sure there's a lot of difference in price.. i'd likely purchase used if i could find what i was looking for... Thanks for entertaining my thread.

Last edited by pdlloyd975; January 25, 2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old January 25, 2018, 08:25 AM   #2
BILLG

S&W over the Taurus any day.
Old January 25, 2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Viper225

My local gun shop "has or had" a Taurus a while back that I looked at. The lite weight was very impressive. I am sure it was liter than a steel J Frame. You could pack it around all day with no problem. I have no doubt that recoil would be off the scale with Full House 44 Magnum ammunition however.

Gun Writer Mark Hampton was telling me a story one day years ago about an Africa Hunt with JD Jones. Mark shot a Cape Buffalo with JD's 45-70 contender with Nuclear Loads in it. Mark said it was a toss up between shooting the Buffalo again with the Contender or just letting the Buffalo get him.

That is the level of Recoil I see coming from firing the Ultra Lite 44 Magnum Taurus. I doubt the S&W would be any better on recoil.

My thought was that it would make a great snake gun with shot shells.

I have a Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan in 480 Ruger. It is a brick, but you can stand to shoot it.

Another friend of mine purchased an H&R single shot 10 gage Turkey Gun years ago with a box of 5 shells. He fired 1 shot to pattern it, and I shot on a Turkey. He sold the gun and the last 3 shells to someone else. The next owner sold the gun with 2 shells from the original box of 5, after only firing it once.
That is the level of recoil I see coming from a 44 Magnum Ultra Lite.

The good thing is, You will not need to worry about it being worn out buying one used. Cleaning the blood off of it after firing will help with resale value.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; January 25, 2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old January 25, 2018, 09:30 AM   #4
Paul105

I carried a S&W M329 Ti/Sc .44 Mag all day, every day for almost a decade (retired and out in back country daily). Over a 3 or 4 year period I shot over 9,000 rounds thru three 329s. Most of those were 240gr to 260gr at 1,100-1,150 fps (actual chronograph results). Point of ref, Rem factory 240gr JSP chrono 1,240 fps (handload of 23.0gr H110, 250gr Keith at 1,172 fps).

If shot a lot with the loads listed above (or equivalent) the gun will require periodic factory maintenance/repair. If magnum loads are kept to a minimum (which most will do because recoil) the gun should be problem free for a life time of “carry a lot, shoot a little” use. Should also hold up well with .44 special equivalent loads.

Best power to weight ratio handgun I’m aware of, but not for the recoil sensitive with full out magnum ammo. You can tailor you loads to your comfort level and the threat in your area.

I’ve gone to the new S&W M69 (L Frame .44 Mag) for everyday woods carry (more pleasant to shoot and as I get older, I don’t get quite as far a field as I used to). It’s still my go gun when bow hunting elk.

One thing you can be sure of, it won’t be left at home because it’s too heavy.

FWIW,

Paul
Old January 25, 2018, 09:56 AM   #5
pdlloyd975

Thanks Guys.. Very helpful info so far.. Looking forward to more.
Patrick
Old January 27, 2018, 09:12 AM   #6
gwpercle

If a bear is charging , intent on eating you....you will not notice any recoil.
You will not hear the shots either...the silent slow motion sensation your mind shifts into is surreal. Don't be concerned with recoil. Penetration is needed to reach a bears brain, that's the only option to a quick stop.
I've owned both Taurus and S&W. I actually prefer my Taurus 455 , in 2004 S&W didn't make a 5 shot snub in 45 acp so I bought Taurus....it also came in 44 magnum,
41 magnum , 357 magnum but I had been shooting and reloading 45 acp 1911's for 30 years , so went with 45 acp. I don't live in bear country so that wasn't a consideration. It has a 2 inch barrel 5 shot and is more compact than the 6 shot revolvers S&W offered then. It carries on a belt unnoticed. I even carry it concealed in an IWB Bianchi holster comfortably . The 455 is the most accurate 45 acp I now own...the little rascal shoots neat little clover leaf groups ...I love it !
S&W or Taurus...take whichever you can get a good deal on but don't dismiss a Taurus based on hear say by non owner "experts"
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; January 27, 2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old January 27, 2018, 01:56 PM   #7
Scoits

I have a 329 pd and have carried it considerably. In Mt. During Sept and OCT i carry first two chambers with snake loads backed up by gas check Cast Performance HOT loads. When temps drop below 40 f i replace the snake loads with all of the above. For practice i use 240 gr polymer coated lswc 21 BHI at 1150 1200 FPS. My chrony. Use a Mernickle cross draw holster. To coin an oldie “wouldn’t leave home without it”.. The 329 is a pleasure and the few times each year I check full power loads is insignificant to the comfort it provides me. Have owned it about 10/12 years.
Old January 28, 2018, 08:59 AM   #8
rodfac

Paul105's long use of Smith's ultra-lightweight M-329 speaks volumes. It can be inferred that he's not recoil sensitive, and has had the experience necessary to get that featherweight gun down out of 1st shot recoil, and ready for the 2nd. Most of us, with less time on the trigger just couldn't do it where it would make any real difference in a defensive situation...just my opinion. Note that he's changed over to Smith's heavier, but still fairly lightweight "L" frame Model 69. It's a choice I've made as well.

I just weighed my M-69, unloaded and found it right at 39 oz. That's why it's my day to day choice here on our farm. Good sight radius, comfortable factory grips, and superb accuracy with my handloads (usually Skelton's long famous prescription of a 240 gr LSWC at 950+ fps) make it an easy choice. The gun's equally accurate (sub-2" gps at 25 yds from a rest), with full house Magnums. In contrast, my Smith M-629 with a 5" bbl. is fully a half pound heavier...and that's unloaded. It's wonderful to shoot, absorbs recoil of full house loads in relative comfort, but feels like an anvil on the belt. I just don't carry it.

I applaud your search for a good back woods carry gun, Pdlloyd, but would suggest that the proficiency necessary for true mastery of a carry piece, would be very painful in a gun as light as a 329.

Having packed out elk quarters, near dark, unarmed made me reconsider the weight of an additional gun while hunting Colorado's high country decades ago, after I'd found fresh bear tracks in my return trail to the kill site. I'd foolishly left my .35 Whelen (all 9+ lbs of it) in the Jeep because of the bulk and weight. Those tracks were a real attention getter. Here in KY, where the bears are few, I get up, pack on that M-69 or a slightly lighter 1911 and get with the chores on our farm. I shoot for fun just about every day, and those guns are a part of my wardrobe, but still very useful if the balloon goes up for real. But the weight's the thing...if the gun's too heavy, I've found that I'll skip it.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 28, 2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old January 28, 2018, 09:56 PM   #9
Siggy-06

I noticed a lot of people are now carrying 10mm autos with hard cast ammo instead of their bigger/heavier revolvers in bear country. 15 rounds of hard cast 10mm in a Glock 20 would give me peace of mind, and save me some carrying weight. I can also shoot 10mm a lot faster than 44 mag. I wouldn't mind owning a S&W Model 69 though...
Old January 29, 2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Wheelie_Fan

+1 on the S&W M69.
I've had mine for over a year now and it's been a great addition.
Old January 29, 2018, 11:14 AM   #11
pdlloyd975

Thanks guys.... i realize the pros and cons of the heavy vs light... I have the Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull now.. it's heavy gun.. shoots great. Love it.. no intention of getting rid of it. However it's not practical (physical weight/size) for a long day in the woods at 63 oz empty. SO, with that in mind, i'm considering something lighter that will likely only be fired as a last resort when my rifle is not available or practical at the moment.. I'm not unfamiliar to accurate handgun shooting, so i'll be proficient in the new choice prior to carrying, however my intent of the new piece is not to be a "range gun" nor to be a daily concealed carry weapon... Honestly, i'll likely only carry it for a couple months out of the year on specific hunts... I reckon i should have stated all that in the beginning.. I DO enjoy reading everyone's opinions though.. it's helping steer me. Thanks and keep them coming! Great to gain knowledge from other experienced shooters, hunters, and owners. Thanks guys!
Old January 31, 2018, 09:02 AM   #12
Chainsaw.

You probably carry backpack that weighs 20 pounds or more if you over night. And if you carry said backpack its probably pretty comfortable on your back. Now imagine that comfy backpack as a bowling ball in a potato sack just tossed over your shoulder, that would be unweildy and very uncomfortable. The moral of the story is dont buy another gun to be comfortable, spend some money on a GOOD holster and you wont need a painfully light gun. My woods gun is my 5" full lug 44 mag 629. My pancake holster makes me forget Im wearing it.
Old February 1, 2018, 10:24 AM   #13
rodfac

Chain, this is some of the best analogy/advice I've ever run across regarding useful carry of a handgun. Well done sir! And BTW, I own and carry the same 5" full lugged .44 Smith, and while I do feel it more than a K or L frame, the holster and belt rig I use makes it less of a chore. Rod
Quote:
You probably carry backpack that weighs 20 pounds or more if you over night. And if you carry said backpack its probably pretty comfortable on your back. Now imagine that comfy backpack as a bowling ball in a potato sack just tossed over your shoulder, that would be unwieldy and very uncomfortable. The moral of the story is dont buy another gun to be comfortable, spend some money on a GOOD holster and you wont need a painfully light gun.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 1, 2018, 10:30 AM   #14
pdlloyd975

Thanks guys.. i don't "overnight"... It's a "day hunt." I do like the comments and experiences.. keep 'em coming...
Old February 2, 2018, 10:29 AM   #15
Paul105

I’ve seen the comment about “proper belt and/or holster” solving the problem of carrying “heavy” handguns. For some this may be true. For others like myself (and others who’ve commented on this), body types (and wear and tear) are different and therefore tolerance for weight bearing on the hips varies. This is especially true (for me) when guns are carried for prolonged periods of time and/or over challenging terrain. For me, the lightweight guns have been a real solution to this problem. There is no “One size fit’s all” solution. If the “proper belt/holster” solves the problem for you that’s great. If not, you may want to give the lighter weight handguns a try.

FWIW,

Paul
Old February 2, 2018, 12:07 PM   #16
fredvon4

Admittedly I have no experience with either of the OPs 2 considered light weight 44s

My humble opinion is to find a way to fire each of them first

I used to own a Dirty Harry Modle 29 and it was not fun to shoot for me
Years later a friend of mine was showing off his new Tarus ultra-lite Judge 45 colt 410 and my wife just loved it and had to have one...I was deeply concerned with how uncomfortable it might be but found a good cheap used one locally and got it for her

Range day I had my 1911 45 that is nice and I shoot well but return to target second shots are not very swift with the recoil....she is in next booth and popping off 45 colt a lot faster and more accurately than I am.....I was really thinking after first cylinder of 5 shots it would be put away....for me to re-sell if I could

I asked to try it and we swapped guns... I was very significantly impressed how the little 6" light revolver shot, no hard recoil and return to target very fast.... the rubber grip covering and over all design made the recoil more straight back with no hard raise of muzzle

I know this is a apples to oranges analogy.... and again state I have not seen nor handled either of the guns in question. I would assume, from what I learned by experience... if one has the barrel a bit taller relative to the frame and grip it will probably buck a lot more vs another with a slight different relationship

Hope this makes sense
Old February 2, 2018, 12:18 PM   #17
Siggy-06

I agree with Paul. Even with my Wilderness 5 stich belt, my single stack 9mm starts to feel heavy over time, gives me a lil bit of back pain.
Old February 2, 2018, 01:21 PM   #18
pdlloyd975

Thanks everyone.. keep em coming.. I appreciate all the opinions and comments.. i'm letting them all sink in. I'm not in a hurry to do anything, thus my inquiry for opinions.
Old August 14, 2018, 02:01 PM   #19
echo7tango

Good info here, thanks for sharing your experiences. It’s been a few months, and I looked at a 329 last night and it fit and felt great. I am a little concerned about what its recoil will be like. It’d be great if I could test fire one. I’ll study it more and may get one.

I don’t have a lot of posts here but did search for 329s and did not come up with many other or recent related threads.
Old August 14, 2018, 02:26 PM   #20
pdlloyd975

**update on my behalf** I purchased the Taurus 444 Ultralite 44 mag. I use Winchester 210 gram 44 mag Black Bear rounds.. it doesn't hurt my wrist and i'm pleased w/the fire. Very happy w/my purchase at this point and the price is a huge difference upon further research. While i was "heck-bent" (haha) on the S&W, i couldn't justify the $400 difference in cost for the new handgun. I'd buy the Taurus again if i had to make the choice. My updated two cents.
Old August 15, 2018, 08:23 AM   #21
echo7tango

28 ozs for that Taurus 444 Ultralite 44 mag — very light. I’ll check that out too.
Old August 15, 2018, 08:24 AM   #22
echo7tango

I like the “Titanium Blue” that it comes in. https://www.taurususa.com/product-de...egory=Revolver
Old August 15, 2018, 01:13 PM   #23
pdlloyd975

I like the black, but when i was able to purchase, i only was able to get the dull stainless.. which i actually like better.. Glad i bought it. Here's my holster application as well.. it's an Alaskan Chest rig.. pretty pricey, but very comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 444.jpg (54.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 444 holster.jpg (41.0 KB, 100 views)
Old August 16, 2018, 02:21 PM   #24
357 Terms

I like that holster, seems like that could handle a heavy revolver very well.
How's the retention?
Old August 16, 2018, 02:30 PM   #25
pdlloyd975

The retention is really good.. the holster is made for the specific firearm. Molded to fit. Now that said, i haven't hung upside down from a tree yet, but i have had it on several times. It's comfortable, puts the pistol just where i want it, and the straps don't cut you in half like others' do. I shopped around quite a bit before purchasing.. Make no mistake though, they're proud of them.. they're not cheap, but i'm very pleased w/my purchase of the holster as well as the firearm. Here's the site: https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/