The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 21 or XDM 45

Alright....I love my 1911 and I love my Glock....I sleep with them both for home defense. I also carry them both (separately)

I love .45's and .40's...But I like .45's a tad more for home defense. I would like for them to fuse. Meaning; I want a home defense gun in .45, with a tactical rail for a bright bright light on the end. With a higher capacity than 8 rounds.

Glock 21 or XD(m) 45

My Glock 22 is a second gen, so no tac rail.

Sorry for the build-up, finally.....Which should I get, I am very familiar with Glocks and I have shot the XD and think it is a really good gun that comes with a nice extended mag. Both hold 13 rounds right? Of .45ACP

So may I please get some input on what you guys would pick if you were me and had to pick on of those two. I know I know, the whole "it's up to you" is played out lol I'm aware. I want some other input. Let's say someone offered you to pick one. Which one and why?

Thank you!

-C
Old January 13, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Recoiljunky

i can tell this will turn into the ford chevy thing allover again. i have both i personally like the springfield alot more "fits my hand better" never had eather jam. seems like the springfield is a little more acurrate but it does fit my hand better"

hope this helps as little as it does
steve
Old January 13, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Ah ****, lol I really hope it doesn't...lol So you prefer the XD. Alright, I'm leaning to the XD on the note that I do not have one and I know they are good. I also, am leaning on the Glock cause I have two and they're reputably reliable and have been out long enough to prove that. But I don't know....Hence this thread.

Thank you
Old January 13, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Recoiljunky

sence you metioned it would be a home defence gun i would say fin both to rent or borrow at a range and give them both a try, as fay as reliability neather should have any problems
Old January 13, 2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

lol WELL......I always carry all my guns. They all have a ride with me from time to time...Except for the hi-power and the M19 S&W actually..Not all. But this one I would also carry. I just want 1 night stand gun instead of 2. I know...It's weird.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Recoiljunky

haha well sence your used to the glocks go for that i have 3 springfields all in 45 2 for the house one for carry only have to train with 1 gun.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
bigghoss

both great guns. the glock has the advantage of greater aftermarket support and that's the one I'll eventually be getting because I like to have as few platforms as possible to maintain familiarity and I already have 2 glocks.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:15 PM   #8
tristar viper

Glock 21 has the most huge grip it's horrible for me to try to hold onto, let alone shoot. Probably the most uncomfortable gun I've ever had in my hand and I'd never by it for that reason
Springfield XDM though, very nice feeling. Had one, but sold it cause I found I don't like the .45, and truly don't need one. But it was a nice gun, just not for me.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

bigghoss

1911 posts
Old January 13, 2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

I love the .45 tristar viper, and I have HUGE hands lol I like the Glock 21 grip a lot and the XD45...I wish you had sold it to me -___-
Old January 14, 2011, 08:55 AM   #11
jmr40

I think the guns themselves are basically equal, but I'd go G-21 because you already have a G-22. Why make it hard on yoursef trying to learn how to use 2 very different guns.

Glock also offers much better support if you have problems. The Springfields pretty much have to be sent back to the factory for any minor problem, while spare Glock parts and magazines are readily available, cheap and easily installed by anyone.

Living within an hour of the Glock headquarters in Smyrna has its advantages for me. I have taken my guns for a check up before. They will dis-assemble the guns. Inspect and replace any out of spec parts, test fire, clean and reassemble my gun for no charge. For $60 they will install night sights. They will do the same if you ship the gun to them, but it is probably not worth it if you are paying shipping. I'm not aware of any gun company that treats their customers as we.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Miami_JBT

Quote:
Alright....I love my 1911 and I love my Glock....I sleep with them both for home defense. I also carry them both (separately)

I love .45's and .40's...But I like .45's a tad more for home defense. I would like for them to fuse. Meaning; I want a home defense gun in .45, with a tactical rail for a bright bright light on the end. With a higher capacity than 8 rounds.

Glock 21 or XD(m) 45

My Glock 22 is a second gen, so no tac rail.

Sorry for the build-up, finally.....Which should I get, I am very familiar with Glocks and I have shot the XD and think it is a really good gun that comes with a nice extended mag. Both hold 13 rounds right? Of .45ACP

So may I please get some input on what you guys would pick if you were me and had to pick on of those two. I know I know, the whole "it's up to you" is played out lol I'm aware. I want some other input. Let's say someone offered you to pick one. Which one and why?

Thank you!

-C
Well as a Miami Native let me shed some info.....

I currently carry a GLOCK 22 Gen 3 as my duty firearm, own a Gen 4 22 and I owned a Gen 2 and a Gen 3 GLOCK 21. Sold that and Got a S&W M&P 45.... great striker fired pistol. Still have that and I also bought a FNP-45 USG. Love that gun. 15+1 of .45 ACP and it's no bigger then the GLOCK 22 and about the same thickness as my Beretta 92FS. I want another GLOCK 21 but I'm waiting for the Gen 4 to come out. No sense in getting a Gen 3 or a SF when the Gen 4 is right around the corner. GLOCK's pattern is this for release of their new designs.

GLOCK22/17
GLOCK19/23
GLOCK26/27
GLOCK21/20

That's how they did the RTF2 grip and that's the same pattern they've been doing with the Gen 4s.

So if you're going to get the GLOCK... wait for the Gen 4. They've already done the first three.

I'm not a fan of the XD series. They're not bad guns but they just don't sit right with me. More parts then needed, and the grip safety is a pain when it comes to shooting. If you're not holding it just right, the pistol doesn't function. Never been a fan of that. Can't even retract the slide to do a brass check unless you're holding down the grip safety.

I'd say if you want a .45 ACP then look at the following.

FNP-45 (Comes with 14rd and 15rd Mags)
S&W M&P 45 (10rd flush mag or 14rd extended mag)
Gen 4 GLOCK 21 (Coming out very soon. More then likely a SHOT Show release)
Old January 14, 2011, 12:33 PM   #13
OsOk-308

Both are quality pistols. I prefer the XDM: Better Looking, Adjustable grips (not the size of a brick), and higher mag capacity
Old January 14, 2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Uncle Malice

I love my G21SF. Is it a huge beast? Yes of course. It's also reliable as anything I've ever held. I have owned the XDM's and while they look cooler and shoot great... i just didn't get along with them well. Not sure why... maybe i'm just a "glock guy"

I will admit that even my SF has a huge grip and I would mind having Bowie or Robar work their magic on it to bring it down a bit. There is a G21 at Scottsdale Gun Club here that has been worked over and grip feels amazing... honestly. It's almost unbelievable. Feels smaller than the G17/22.

Let's also not forget about the wealth of after market accessories, add-ons, parts, holsters, et al that are readily available for the Glock guns. I know the XD's/XDM's are getting some after market stuff as well, but it pales in comparison.

In reality, I think you will be well served by either gun. Neither is really 'better', I guess. We all have our preferences. I like ease of use/maintenance of the Glock. I much prefer my Sig's and HK's for looks, fun in shooting, etc... but when I'm out on my bike I've got my Glock in my shoulder holster. With 2 extra mags on the other side... that makes for 40 rounds of .45acp....
Old January 14, 2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Burger

I saw a video online about a Springfield XD45 review. The inside of the grip was "shaved" to make room for the larger .45 cal mag. Not sure how the XDM's were done.

Anyway, my vote goes to the Glock because of the lower bore axis and simplicity.
Old January 14, 2011, 02:25 PM   #16
bigghoss

Quote:
bigghoss

1911 posts
Constantine- is it weird that my 1911'th post was about glocks?
Old January 14, 2011, 03:44 PM   #17
chris in va

I really don't see how the G21SF is any bigger than any other full size gun. Sure it's not the most ergonomic thing out there, but to say it's huge is stretching things.

I had an XD9 a few years ago. My hand size prevented reliable disengaging of the grip safety, and I just couldn't warm up to it for various reasons.
Old January 14, 2011, 03:58 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

bigghoss - lmao you're telling me? Nice! It's a sign, maybe a 1911 and Glock will mate and have a hybrid? :P

Burger - NICE! I like the Glock 21, that one looks so silky smooth..Weridish/Nice

Uncle Malice - are you one of the "sons of anarchy" ? lol that sounds awesome. I really like them both, I'm fairly quick to get used to a trigger. To me, different gun...I already begin adusting and adapting to it anyways.

Miami_JBT - Hello friend, a native too I see. Dade County department? What department? I have a messed up life story...let's just say I couldn't so much as really begin the academy cause of a torn ACL and Meniscus. Eventually...hopefully. Well, yes...Thinking about going on to the Glock again...I wish I could try them both out the same day THEN pick one from there. I may just want something different? Also..the gun show tomorrow and Sunday..Are you going?

jmr40 - YES! I know all about Glock and their badass service! Got my Glock 22 refinished there. Took about 8 weeks, but they didn't just refinished the slide. They changed every moving part on the slide and frame including the barrell. It was a police trade in that I had bought so it was high mileage.

On the note of "learning a whole different gun" that's how I do it man, I like learning different guns and do it fairly quickly. Or so I like to think...Minus one.. The SCCY CPX-1 didn't like it one bit. Bought it on impulse and gave it away to someone who now apparently loves it, more power to them lol.
No issue with learning another gun though.
Old January 14, 2011, 04:02 PM   #19
10mm4ever

Of the two I like the XD better, although neither is my favorite when it comes to poly frame autos. The acute backsweep of the Glocks butt is even more problematic with the large frame models.
Old January 14, 2011, 04:59 PM   #20
Uncle Malice

Quote:
are you one of the "sons of anarchy"
lol No, I just live in Arizona. We can do that stuff here. heh.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:24 PM   #21
oldcspsarge

The XDM 45 would be a better choice in my opinion. I have fired both extensively.

The XDM has a heat treated barrel (won't KB like a Glock bbl)
has a better trrigger, and 3 different grip panels to get the best fit.

The grip safety is a real plus AND you don't have to pull the trigger to disassemble it !
Old January 14, 2011, 11:54 PM   #22
rjrivero

All things being equal....

The bore axis is lower on the Glock vs. Springfield. I prefer the "push" feel the lower bore axis has to offer. For that matter, I also prefer the "push" feel of the heavier rounds, no matter what caliber I'm shooting.

With that said, I also like the .45 ACP out of a revolver. So, I guess, my bore axis arguement aint' exactly 100%.....
Old January 14, 2011, 11:54 PM   #23
gruntrus

Any G in .45 will do better.

More support, more quality, etc.................
Old January 15, 2011, 11:02 AM   #24
Uncle Malice

Quote:
The XDM has a heat treated barrel (won't KB like a Glock bbl)
oh really?

Any gun can fail. The Glock 21's do not have history of it... the earlier .40S&W models did, but the chamber support issues has long been rectified.... let's not bother with heresy.

Quote:
has a better trrigger, and 3 different grip panels to get the best fit.
From the factory, maybe... I dislike Glock's factory trigger... but add a Ghost Rocket connector, Wolff 6lb trigger spring and polish the connecting parts... and the Glock trigger is one of the best available on a semi-auto this side of a 1911. Zero over travel, 1-2mm reset... the XDM can't do that. There are ways to reduce over travel, but the reset doesn't get as good as the Glock trigger can.
Old January 15, 2011, 11:35 AM   #25
TimNelson

why decide...buy both

Tags
.45 , glock 21 , home defense , xdm