The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 18, 2018, 10:22 PM   #26
rock185

I've owned several of the handguns mentioned, and can't honestly say that any of those "Legendary" guns were overrated. They did not get to be legendary because of full color magazine ads or Facebook likes. They became legendary due to their performance over time.
Old August 19, 2018, 02:26 AM   #27
kozak6

Glock. Cheesy plastic sights, a (stock) trigger resembling that of a staple gun, and ergonomics firmly stuck in the 1980's.

Look, the grip is plastic. It can be molded into almost any shape. Why not one for human hands? And the "modular" grip is so lazy. It like it's only intended to check a box to qualify for a contract rather than actually being a usable feature.
Old August 19, 2018, 05:56 AM   #28
hemiram

1911's. Don't want one again. I don't understand their pricing at all.

Ruger double action revolvers. Ok guns, but they are seriously looked challenged.

And nearly all of the Glocks and it's clones. I don't get the striker gun love, and I don't get the Glock love most of all.
Old August 19, 2018, 06:39 AM   #29
luger fan

Glock DID NOT invent the 'safe trigger.' Google the Iver Johnson 'safe trigger' revolver.....1890's
Old August 19, 2018, 07:32 AM   #30
jonnyc

First, I agree with all those who spit on your inclusion of the Hi-Power.

Next, I would add anything marked "Kimber".
Old August 19, 2018, 08:08 AM   #31
Nathan

Quote:
Glock DID NOT invent the 'safe trigger.' Google the Iver Johnson 'safe trigger' revolver.....1890's
I agree. They invented the logic behind it. That is, our customers are so ignorant and poorly trained that they cannot be trusted to engage and disengage a manual safety. This is point 1.

Point 2: These same customers can be taught to keep their finger off the trigger 100%, except when actually shooting.

Point 3: Any AD or ND that occurs is then the result of shooter error and the company/design has no ownership in these. These occur on a regular basis, but are always found to be shooter error. An anomaly.

Point 4: Create a fan club to “carry your water” on these points!
Old August 19, 2018, 08:11 AM   #32
Nathan

Quote:
But who really finds themselves in this "fighting" scenario?
I totally agree. Once I gave up that every gun in my safe was a fight to the death fighting weapon, I started to buy more fun guns like blued 1911’s and blue s&w revolvers.....and 22’s! 22’s are fun!
Old August 19, 2018, 08:26 AM   #33
Wag

"Popular" doesn't equal "Legendary."

I'd never call Glocks legendary. Popular, yes. And crappy, in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

Speaking of opinion, we are generally expressing opinion, of course! :-)

--Wag--
Old August 19, 2018, 10:15 AM   #34
GarandTd

I can't single out models. I feel like most mainstream manufacturers are overrated. What I mean by that, is that many of them are riding on the coattails of their historical reputations, but their current productions don't even come close.
Old August 19, 2018, 10:33 AM   #35
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
"Popular" doesn't equal "Legendary."

I'd never call Glocks legendary. Popular, yes. And crappy, in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

Speaking of opinion, we are generally expressing opinion, of course! :-)

--Wag--
The google dictionary says:
leg·end·ar·y
ˈlejənˌderē/
adjective

1. of, described in, or based on legends.
2. remarkable enough to be famous; very well known.

Under that definition, glocks are clearly a legend to most gun aficionados, if not a blessing to budgeting authorities.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 19, 2018, 10:52 AM   #36
TruthTellers

Mauser C96. The grip and trigger and sights on that thing are awful.

Colt Python. It's a revolver, there are many .357 revolvers out there that perform as well or better for less money.

1911. Big, heavy, and you only get 8 shots. Be better off with an N frame .357.

Glock. I own Glocks, I like Glocks, but the way they've been portrayed in movies and TV you'd think they're the greatest pistol ever. They're not, but depending on what price you get it for, it's pretty good, just not world changing.
Old August 19, 2018, 12:13 PM   #37
jr24

I guess I never put the Glock in Legendary status.

Ubiquitous maybe, but not legendary.

But I do like them, simple, reliable, light, consistent.

Kinda like hammers
Old August 19, 2018, 12:54 PM   #38
RickB

Only for their reputation for "pointing like extending your finger toward the target", I'll say the Luger and the SAA; neither is very comfortable, and compared to most modern handguns, feel so different that they can't be considered "natural" in feel.

Truly legendary handguns earn their reputations, so I generally won't quibble about features that didn't get in the way of a gun reaching legendary status.

I'd say there'd be more of an argument about which guns are legendary, than about which are overrated; if it's overrated, there must not be much legend?
Old August 19, 2018, 12:54 PM   #39
JJ45

Maybe they are all UNDER-RATED then
Old August 19, 2018, 02:48 PM   #40
boondocker385

Ruger revolvers and most 1911s.
Old August 19, 2018, 04:55 PM   #41
Apple a Day

Walther PPK.
Old August 19, 2018, 05:03 PM   #42
Sevens

Oooh, PPK is a good one for this list!
Old August 19, 2018, 05:33 PM   #43
kenny53

I think Kimber is highly overrated and over priced.
Old August 19, 2018, 06:05 PM   #44
CDR_Glock

Colt python. Great trigger but it’s a medium frame. I don’t think a regular diet of 357 will be kind to it. Who can service it?

Desert Eagle 50 AE. What’s the use? Hahahaha. I have a 44 Magnum, though, and it’s fun.

H&K USP. Big and bulky.

H&K Mark 23. Boat anchor.

Colt Anaconda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 19, 2018, 07:11 PM   #45
RC20

Quote:
Colt Python
Having handled (and shot one) not its not over rated. Its the smoothest slickest revolver ever made. Its more a piece of art than a gun.

Pre 64 Winchester, while not a pistol would be on my list.

Quote:
Oooh, PPK is a good one for this list!
Have to agree its on the underated list (grin)

I guess if you like well done machinery that is slick and smooth and is pure craftsmanship rather than a bulk mfg item, then its on the good list.

They don't make either Python or PPK like they used to.

I wish I had bought a Pyton back in the day, sigh, liked the S&W, good solid guns, not a Python though.

In my mind its a bit like a Sig SP2022 and a H&K P30.

The Sig is a solid tool, the P-30 is a joy to shoot.

Last edited by RC20; August 19, 2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old August 20, 2018, 09:09 AM   #46
Mike Irwin
Staff

Colt 1911.

Sure. Good handgun, but antiquated design. Much better options these days, even in .45.

Really have to disagree with those listing the S&W Model 19 as overrated. It is simply the best combination of power, ergonomics, and size every combined into a general duty revolver.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 20, 2018, 10:33 AM   #47
Don Fischer

Handguns that I think are over rated? All of them. Except for concealed carry there is nothing any hand gun can do that a rifle can't do better! I like the handgun's I have and a number of them in the past. I don't know is they were under rated or over rated I just know I liked most. I don't care for single action handgun's at all. maybe because I just don't shoot them all that well.I'd like to have a Scofield in 32. Probably make a fun fooling around gun. Wouldn't take it to war though! Couldn't pay me to take anything larger than a 39 Spec though. I'm a rifle guy and don't own a handgun or even know of one I'd give up a rifle for!

Over rated? Under rated? it's all a state of mind!
Old August 20, 2018, 10:37 AM   #48
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
For me it's the Colt Python, without a close contender. The wide flared grips make it almost impossible to shoot accurately, and the pull rather than push cylinder latch is a complete headache.
Totally agree.
Old August 20, 2018, 10:52 AM   #49
Sevens

In an effort to better define my position on the K-frame Magnum (13/19/65/66), it's simply that I think it's a lousy gun for shooting .357 Magnum, and it does nothing better than a fantastic K-38. Indeed, it CAN mimic both, and true to it's original intention, it was perfect in it's duty role to be carried a lot and shot infrequently, or as the legend goes... training and qualification with .38 Special and big nasty .357 Magnum for duty carry.

The subject is overrated, not horrible or useless or junk or an abomination. I like the 6-inch Model 66-2 that I kept, but I sent both my 4-inch Model 19's away, meanwhile I'm beyond elated with all my 4-inch heavy barrel 10's and 64's and they continue to impress me. When it's time to enjoy .357 Magnum from a revolver, my 686 does a great job but I tend to reach for a 28-2.

The Model 19 is a jack of all trades and a master of none, while the Model 10 is a master of .38 ammo and the 28-2 is a master of the heavy stuff.

This is where I'm coming from, and it's taken me years to form this opinion. The Model 19 has (generally speaking) got itself a lofty status among revolver lovers and especially S&W folks, of which I staunchly consider myself both. And I have no problems agreeing that it would be far easier to carry it on my belt for 30 years than a Model 28-2 and it will definitely launch 158gr JHP at 1,200fps far better than a Model 10 will, but when it comes to range day... I would much rather own and bring a 4-inch HB Model 10 and a 6-inch 28-2 than to have a bag full of 13, 19, 65 and 66's.

Truly a legend in American handgun history. I'll suggest that it's overrated.
Old August 20, 2018, 11:01 AM   #50
Sevens

The Browning Hi-Power has a status (a well earned status, simply given it's issued contracts and global proliferation) of legendary or beyond, I include it in my list of overrated simply because of all the little annoyances and items that many end up finding a work-around as they are minor road blocks on the path to enjoyment.

Of course tons of folks will try to counter my statement by saying they don't modify it one whit but it's no less true. The safety is not slick or smooth, the tang is not substantial and legions of shooters get some degree of hammer bite, the trigger is so ridiculous that almost zero gun designs moving forward have done any manner of copy, the tactile trigger reset seemingly does not even exist, the magazine disconnect has a 97% disapproval rate, and far, far, FAR too much "John M. Browning" gets attributed and attached to this pistol.

It's a gorgeous handgun, it's absolutely iconic by any measure. It's also overrated, and I bet John Browning would agree.