The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 27, 2018, 08:47 PM   #26
kilotanker22

I wouldnt call the Savage an imitation. Since, well you know...... The model 110 was released 6 years or so before the model 700......

Also I feel like to discredit Savage as an imitation is wrong in another way. Savage released the accutrigger a number of years ago. Shortly after that Remington replaced their standard trigger with the x Mark pro.

Also not long after that you started seeing other rifle brands upgrade their trigger systems. Some with blade style triggers. But who mass produced it first?

The Savage action has a floating bolt head as we all know. It wasn't all that long ago when we started seeing actions that also have bolt heads that are not fixed...

The Stevens 200 is replaced by the Edge/Axis. Not long after that you see the Remington 783, Ruger American.

Savage has always used the barrel nut to set head space even though many didn't like that. Now you see lots of rifles from many manufacturers that basically copied. You guessed it. Savage. Both in the price point rifles, and marketing.

Now. This is not to discredit Remington. They do in fact have their own merit. And there is a special place in my heart for the 700
Old December 27, 2018, 08:54 PM   #27
kilotanker22

Savage has had their own downfalls though. Like really bad stocks. They addressed that issue though.

I don't know of any other manufacturer of reasonably priced bolt action rifle who's standard line up has a full length aluminum bedding block. As well as adjustable length of pull and comb height.

A remington 700 with those features would cost you several times the price of a comparable Savage. And the Savage would shoot as well or better.
Old December 28, 2018, 03:41 AM   #28
rebs

I have read that Remington's quality control has gone down hill, is this true ?
Old December 28, 2018, 11:17 AM   #29
kilotanker22

Some say their quality has dwindled. I don't know what to believe. I haven't bought a new Remington in a bit. I plan to buy a 700 xcr tactical in a few months.

I think everones QC suffers from time to time. They still make great products, but they are human just like us.