The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 22, 2018, 07:02 PM   #51
jmr40

Interesting reading, but that was 42 years ago. A lot has changed.

Rock6, if you're still following the thread, I've been to several places in your photo's. Springer Mt and Rough Ridge. Killed a bear near that Rough Ridge trail sign many years ago. And that area is FULL of bear. I wouldn't hike there without a gun suitable to stop a black bear.

My choice if black bear are in the area is a G29 loaded with 200 gr hardcast bullets. If no bear a smaller 9mm will do just fine.

Winston Churchill
Old November 22, 2018, 08:27 PM   #52
Siggy-06

When I'm hiking, I like to go light, especially if it's not an overnight trip. Plus here in FL humidity and sweat is a big factor. So, I carry my Beretta Pico in my front pocket. Stainless slide and 6+1 of .380 jhp, and the sights+trigger are pretty good for a pocket gun. Only have really run into racoons, snakes, and other humans on the trail, never had to use it though. Now if I was in brown bear country, bear spray and my 45 colt go on the hip.
Old November 23, 2018, 06:30 AM   #53
agtman

Quote:
What caliber for space aliens?
The 10mm AUTO, of course. None better.
Old November 23, 2018, 07:29 PM   #54
Cosmodragoon

Just a thought but I'll question the plinking role of trail guns. Yes, you might see a great spot with something you really want to shoot at for fun, besides an animal destined for campsite cooking. How often does this happen? If it does happen, how much of the limited ammo you are carrying has now been spent on plinking? How much do you have for the rest of your trail time, presumably including the hike out?

Maybe it's just the decades of plinking here but I prefer shooting actual stuff, like bottles and cans. Sure, you might want to aerate some emptied cans the morning after camping out but then you've already planned to haul canned beverages to a campsite and you probably planed to haul extra ammo. The point is, at least for me, that plinking tends to be a planned activity. It involves a change in role from what I consider in a general trail gun.
Old November 23, 2018, 09:18 PM   #55
Drm50

I think a lot are missing the definition of a trail gun. It's purpose is not SD or to
use in bear attack. Might be different if your trail is a path in a metro area park or area where you might encounter a bear. A trial gun has to be accurate, not
7' gut buster level. When you spend a lot of time in the woods such as you do on
a farm or ranch while doing chores or fishing and any other activity other than hunting, it is what you carry. You may what to shoot a squirrel or a varmit. Hard to tell what you may want to put a hole in. Most carry a 22 or 38sp (357). Most
guys will put up with a little extra weight to gain accuracy. Other than 22s I don't
know of any plastic guns that would fill this roll. The ultimate trail gun would be a S&W Kit gun. I prefer a m17 or m14, bigger and heavier but deadly accurate. Some would go with m15 or m18 with shorter 4" barrel. We don't call them trail guns, we call them Cruzin Pieces and I've herd them called Loafen' Guns. They are for people that are in the boonies a lot of the time, not for occasional hikers
or people worried about SD.
Old November 24, 2018, 11:15 AM   #56
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Interesting reading, but that was 42 years ago. A lot has changed.
yep....and what constitutes a proper trail gun is really defined by the trail one is on. Walking a trail in Central Park is probably gonna dictate a different 'trail" gun than one used to walk on Kodiak Island.
Old November 24, 2018, 12:39 PM   #57
ThomasT

Quote:
I think a lot are missing the definition of a trail gun. It's purpose is not SD or to
use in bear attack. Might be different if your trail is a path in a metro area park or area where you might encounter a bear. A trial gun has to be accurate, not
7' gut buster level. When you spend a lot of time in the woods such as you do on
a farm or ranch while doing chores or fishing and any other activity other than hunting, it is what you carry. You may what to shoot a squirrel or a varmit. Hard to tell what you may want to put a hole in. Most carry a 22 or 38sp (357). Most
guys will put up with a little extra weight to gain accuracy. Other than 22s I don't
know of any plastic guns that would fill this roll. The ultimate trail gun would be a S&W Kit gun. I prefer a m17 or m14, bigger and heavier but deadly accurate. Some would go with m15 or m18 with shorter 4" barrel. We don't call them trail guns, we call them Cruzin Pieces and I've herd them called Loafen' Guns. They are for people that are in the boonies a lot of the time, not for occasional hikers
DMR50 I agree with you 100%. I started shooting back when that Skeeter article came out. There was no internet so if you wanted to learn about guns you read gun magazines. Thankfully they were far better than they are today. They gave you real information and not just a long winded ad for the gun being reviewed. And they talked about guns for SD but they also talked about the other uses like target shooting and trail walking. They weren't as obsessed with shooting and killing another person like we are today. And it was those early articles that shaped my opinion on what a trail gun was and how it was used.

And I did use my 22 caliber trail gun to get myself out of a really tight spot. No shots were fired but if I hadn't have been armed I might not be writing this today. Even bad guys don't want to be shot even if its just a 22 they are being shot with.
Old November 24, 2018, 02:47 PM   #58
riverdog

Trail gun to me means fairly lightweight, easy to carry as you are doing other things not firearms related. Hmmm, that sounds a lot like my Glock G-19 — pushing a cart in the grocery store with a Glock under my sweater.
Old November 24, 2018, 05:40 PM   #59
Drm50

I have carried a 22 since I was big enough to load one. When I was kid, I had a Route Gun.
A Single-6 22. My paper route took me in and out of village limits. A couple neighborhoods
were so bad with vicious dog problems the PO would not deliver the mail. Paper boys didn't
have that option. After being bitten requiring stitches my old man OKed going armed. I shot
two dogs, after they bit me and had to go to court 3 times for discharging a firearm in village limits. Charges were dismissed. That was the only time I ever actually shot something that was necessary. Never have had to pull a gun on a person in the boonies. I
have shot a lot of snakes and chipmunks that were minding there own business and lots of
rabbits, squirrels and grouse for the pot. Mostly just spur of the moment plinking sessions.
The 22 is not so good as a tool to chop firewood like Skeeters 44spec. was. I did once use
a 1911 to make holes to run 12/2 wire from a generator into a shed.
Old November 27, 2018, 04:06 PM   #60
mk70ss

This one now suits me perfect. Power/size/weight are about perfect.
Old November 27, 2018, 05:14 PM   #61
Dano4734

454 casull for me. Bigfoot or space invader I am covered
Old November 28, 2018, 10:03 AM   #62
stinkeypete

For plinking, toss a little .22 in my pocket.

When I walk, my biggest worry is misbehaving aggressive dogs some bad citizen may have driven out in to the country and “set free”. .44 magnum is too heavy, but it’s one that makes the fellas jealous and my dad gave it to me. It’s my deer hunting pistol.

I keep looking at .32 H&R or whatever Ruger did, in a handy little revolver. It would take care of plinking and pesky varmints without the horsepower needed for a whitetail. Since I’ve never needed anything my walking stick couldn’t take care of. But then it’s just because I would really prefer a 32-20 but don’t want to fuss that much... wait... 32 special is a lot less fuss and common as can be. If I found a great price on a field gun in .32 or .38.. I just might get one despite my gunsafe downsizing exercises.
Old November 28, 2018, 01:41 PM   #63
deserted

Been away for awhile, but had to put my two cents worth in. I've spent most of my 68 years in the mountains of the west, living and working and playing. For forty or so years, I carried a single action .22 revolver, and always felt pretty well armed, as I got really good with it. Along about 2010 I learned of the 327 FM, but wanted it on a .22 frame. So I got a Single Six in .32 H&R with the idea that I'd have it converted some day, and fell in love with the .32s. Gave the old Colt .22 to my son. As soon as I heard about the Single Seven in .327FM, I ordered a 7 1/2" barreled one, then a 4 5/8" (my EDC these days), and finally the 3 1/2" bird's head grip one, for CC in town. I live in the heart of deer and elk winter range, open range for cattle, there are coyotes every where, aggressive badgers, and I hear rumors of bear and lions, but have yet to see any. Even seeing people out here in the northern Great Basin is very rare, but, without exception, they are always armed, too, so I feel better with the S7 and factory Federal 100 grainers that do a flat 1600fps out of the 4 5/8" barrel. Cast bullet hand loads are milder, of course. Haven't shot a .22 in years. The S7 is actually a little lighter than a S6, as the holes are bigger and there's one more of them. Fact is, I rarely shoot anything BUT .327 anymore, except, of course, the 25-45 Sharps. I used to carry the .22 and, during big game season, a Blackhawk in .357 for deer. Now, just the one gun does it all, what with factory and hand loads.
A seven shot six shooter with .357 oomph on a .22 frame...the PERFECT trail gun.
Old November 28, 2018, 08:06 PM   #64
ThomasT

Deserted glad to see you back. And I liked your earlier post on the 327 round in the Ruger S7. I might be tempted to get one except I have two single sixes in 32 Mag already. I rarely ever shoot full power loads. I am more likely to shoot lead bullet loads around 900Fps or jacketed loads at 1100fps just like the original loads were loaded. Maybe they knew something after all.

But full power 85gr loads get 1300fps and 100gr loads do 1250fps and that’s fine for my uses. But what sweet little guns these are. Really about as good as it gets for a trail walker.
Old November 28, 2018, 10:38 PM   #65
reteach

In my first reply to this thread I was thinking in terms of backpacking and weight saving. But I agree that for easy walking or riding in my truck, the Single Seven birdshead is a sweet gun to carry. Had mine tucked inside my waistband today as I ran errands around town.
Deserted - any tips on town carry?
Old November 30, 2018, 12:41 PM   #66
the possum

Thanks again for all the input, fellas. I have a few more ideas to try out now. Just need to get out there and actually do it!
Old December 1, 2018, 08:17 PM   #67
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40

Rock6, if you're still following the thread, I've been to several places in your photo's. Springer Mt and Rough Ridge. Killed a bear near that Rough Ridge trail sign many years ago. And that area is FULL of bear. I wouldn't hike there without a gun suitable to stop a black bear.

My choice if black bear are in the area is a G29 loaded with 200 gr hardcast bullets. If no bear a smaller 9mm will do just fine.
We've run into dozen of bears along the AT. As long as you follow basic protocol (don't rub peanut butter on your toes and then climb into your hammock), they're less of a threat than the druggies at some of the shelters. Bi-pedal humanoids are the biggest threat as you get closer to civilization.

Now, the Cohutta National Forest, west of Springer is loaded with black bear. I would likely go with more bear repellant if we go back there. 8 out of 10 backpackers we ran into were open carrying (it was during bear hunting season as well). I'm not saying black bear are harmless, but their threat is extremely low compared to other potential and more likely threats (severe weather, mechanical injury, arthropod attacks, hot/cold weather injuries, etc.

I'll admit, carrying a handgun is more for mental comfort than actual necessity. The challenge becomes weighing your choices (literally) when every ounce counts. Nobody carrying a .44 caliber Ruger Redhawk is likely backpacking 12-15 miles a day for several days. For actual distance backpacking, especially on more established trails are very low-threat. The only areas that are problematic are the shelters (especially in the Smokies), where backpackers leave food and trash and attracts more opportunistic bears...which is why we never sleep near shelters...

Last time we went into Cohutta, I just took along a G23 with the 200gr Hardcast +P. 10mm would be more appropriate in a G29-sized package, but I don't have one in the stables (yet). I've carried my .40S&W Shield as well for a much lighter choice than the double-stack G23; that's about the lightest pistol with the most punch without getting into some of the air-weight .357's.

ROCK6

Last edited by ROCK6; December 1, 2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old December 2, 2018, 09:46 AM   #68
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
use in bear attack. When you spend a lot of time in the woods such as you do on
a farm or ranch while doing chores or fishing and any other activity other than hunting, it is what you carry. They are for people that are in the boonies a lot of the time, not for occasional hikers
I too hafta heartily disagree. Take away SD/PD and protection from dangerous game and what do you have left to even justify bothering carrying a handgun outside of it being a primary weapon during hunting season? Shooting holes in the trail signs? Just showin' off your favorite rig? Why not for occasional hikers or folks worried about SD?

While your subjective definition of a Trail Gun works for you, odds are it ain't workin' for everybody. What about S&W's .44 Magnum "Trail Boss" or Ruger's ''Alaskan" models. Both by the manufacturer's descriptions are meant to be "Trail Guns" and are basically designed for bear/two legged predator protection. Besides, I've worked for many years on Farms and Ranches......and am an ardent fisherman. Don't come across trails very much on either.
Old December 2, 2018, 10:50 AM   #69
Drm50

I think I pointed out that if you were in country where bear may be a problem or your trail
may be in a urban area with crime problems a 22 wouldn't be a choice. Since most people
are not in bear country that leaves SD against humans. If you want to call your CCW a trail
gun it's ok with me. To understand Trail gun you might go back and read some articles in
gun magazines before the hype on Bear Guns and fixation with shooting people became popular. I'm sure guys in bear country didn't wait until all the companies came out with the
special models of Bear Guns before they armed themselves. Just as the laws allowing CCW
have hyped the public. Both bear gun & SD gun are for a intended purpose and not much
good for anything else.
Old December 3, 2018, 10:56 AM   #70
the possum

My farm gun was an SKS. It rode along on the tractor in case I saw a coyote, since it was very rare to see one within 75-100 yards.
Old December 23, 2018, 03:51 PM   #71
shooter1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
Skeeter was a Marine and Texas Ranger and maybe some other LEO affiliate.

Keep in mind that Skeeter was writing for a living and those guys either wrote what the editor wanted them to write or had to dig up something new every month.

Some writers seemed to be more objective than others but after a period of naivety I learned to take most of those writings with a large dose of salt, since so much conflicted with my own experience.
Skeeter did a lot of great things, but he was never a Texas Ranger.
Old December 25, 2018, 02:58 PM   #72
Mannlicher

I have survived every thing Florida swamps and palmetto thickets could throw at me for 60+ years now with a .22 S&W 4 inch barrel revolver.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 25, 2018, 05:25 PM   #73
Red Devil

Trail Gun.

Red
Old December 25, 2018, 09:05 PM   #74
Carmady

oops

Last edited by Carmady; December 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old December 29, 2018, 09:56 AM   #75
Brian Williams

I really like my S&W model 60-4, a nice small J frame with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. Sweet gun and easy to carry.