The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Prof Young

Range Report Springfield XD-E

Shooters:

Picked up the XD-E yesterday and ran about 100 rounds through it today. First fifty were American Eagle 115 gn. Those were followed by some 147 plated on top of 4.2 Unique.

Gun came with hard sided case, two magazines a 9 and an 8, a gun lock, extra fiber optic material for the sights, and a flange to replace the "finger grip" on the bottom of a magazine for extra conceal-ability when engaged in CC. Also had a well printed owner's manual and registration card.

All the features are as advertised and I espeically like decocker that is also a safety. It is a seriously thin gun. One inch wide is as advertised and that is true.

Gun ran well. No jams of any kind. I've included a pic of my best group, at five yards. It is interesting that I am high and to the left with this gun, but low and to the left with my heavier Beretta 92FS. This gun is small enough for CC and you can carry in whatever mode you are comfortable with. You like it cocked and lock, you are good. If you prefer one in the pipe with the safety on the DA/SA action here means you can still fire fairly quickly. (Although you have to be a better DA shot than I am. :-)

I got mine at Scheels in Springfield IL for $499. When I was on the search for one my local range guys said their supplier had had 150 of them and they were gone very quickly. When I called Scheels they only had the one left, but would hold it a couple of days for me. Thank you Scheels.

This is my first Springflield firearm and so far I have nothing to complain about.

Life is good.

Prof. Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XDE.JPG (120.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg XDEtarget.JPG (103.4 KB, 110 views)
Old July 11, 2017, 12:47 AM   #2
Mosin44az

That frame-mounted safety/decocker is the best design in my view. HK, FN have also used it. Too bad Beretta never bothered to do that. Taurus did.
Old July 11, 2017, 11:20 AM   #3
JDBerg

I like this gun a lot, the local Cabela's here had one that I looked at and it sold quickly. I think Springfield hit a solid niche with this one for shooters who want a CCW that is hammer fired, DA/SA with a thumb safety / decocker. And they finally ditched the XD grip safety!
Old July 12, 2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Prof Young

I shot it again today. About 50 rounds. Lot to like here.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 12, 2017, 04:16 PM   #5
BigBL87

Have you shot a S&W Shield? If so, how would you compare it to the Shield in terms of trigger, size, etc.?
Old July 12, 2017, 07:22 PM   #6
gwpercle

Adjust that rear sight over a little bit and you will be good to go...Nice shooting.
Gary
Old July 20, 2017, 10:08 PM   #7
Prof Young

BigBL87 - Have not shot shield so I can't compare.

My Beretta is a double stack full size gun so the comparison there is "off" too. I will say the Beretta handles "hotter" loads better than the XDE but it's a heavier gun so . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young