The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2019, 09:54 AM   #1
eos

Need to move gun safe a few feet... want your input

I'm not sure if this qualifies as "on topic" for the General Discussion Forum, if not my apologies.

My cousin bought a house, previous owner left a large Liberty safe in the basement. He wants it moved back where the table on the right is, so about four feet to the right, and four feet back against that wall.

So... the safe weighs a thousand pounds. Even the two of us probably couldn't budge the thing, any ideas? Tip it slightly and try to get some golf balls under it? I'm at a loss.

Old January 19, 2019, 10:15 AM   #2
FITASC

Golf balls or pieces of pipe or two handtrucks capable of 800+ pounds

If that is a concrete floor, you'll want something between the concrete and the safe bottom to prevent corrosion

or rent one of the heavy duty appliance dollies
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; January 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added
Old January 19, 2019, 10:22 AM   #3
4EVERM-14

Buy several pieces of 3/8" round metal rod from Home Depot. Tip the safe enough to start one rod underneath. A rope or strap around the lower portion of the safe and pull. Add rods as the safe moves. Once on the rods it will be easier to rotate and position. As FITASC noted put something under when in place for moisture protection
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old January 19, 2019, 10:28 AM   #4
FITASC

Something that heavy would dictate a nice solid rubber horse stall mat about 3/4" thick
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 19, 2019, 10:30 AM   #5
FITASC

Oh yes, don't forget to tell your buddy to change the combination; Liberty can tell you how if he doesn't know
Old January 19, 2019, 11:11 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

I moved mine with a dolly and a friend. No problem. I even had to take mine down stairs.
Old January 19, 2019, 11:17 AM   #7
KEYBEAR

Unless some one added weight or it is loaded with stuff it does not weight a ton .
That Safe is a little over half that
Old January 19, 2019, 01:19 PM   #8
joed

Doesn't weigh 1000 lbs, probably 600 lbs at best. Here's how I move mine around the house. Take all the guns out of the safe. Open the door and look at the hinges, most likely the door comes off. That's another 100 to 200 lbs you can get off the safe. At this point I can move my safe around the room and I bet you can too.
Old January 19, 2019, 01:42 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Unless some one added weight or it is loaded with stuff it does not weight a ton .
That Safe is a little over half that
Quote:
Doesn't weigh 1000 lbs, probably 600 lbs at best.
That model does weigh 1,000+ pounds. Go look it up.

...Which means all of my suggestions would not be effective.

Rollers are probably the answer.
Old January 19, 2019, 01:47 PM   #10
KEYBEAR

Do not need to look it up I have one and am looking at the paper work now .
Old January 19, 2019, 02:35 PM   #11
TBM900

On a floor like that a couple dollars worth of wood dowels will help move it lickety-split, and you don't even have to unload it.
Ive moved several of my safe's all by myself that way, more than once.
Old January 19, 2019, 05:50 PM   #12
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
On a floor like that a couple dollars worth of wood dowels will help move it lickety-split, and you don't even have to unload it.
Ive moved several of my safe's all by myself that way, more than once.
Simple rollers like that have worked since the days of the pyramids. I've seen hugh items moved that way by simply putting the rollers (dowels or logs) back to the front when they exit from the rear end.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:20 PM   #13
Schlitz 45

I would think you could drill a concrete anchor bolt into the floor and use a come-along to pull it into position or a jack to push it. If you can get get some small metal rods under it as suggested it will be even easier. Check to see if any local tool rental places rent roll-a-lifts, that’s what a lot of the pros use.
https://rolalift.com

Last edited by Schlitz 45; January 19, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:26 PM   #14
TheGunGeek

Assuming its truly heavy and can't be pushed, you'll need 2 people.

Option 1: One or both will need to tip the safe back until the balance point is found. Normally it's better to go side to side, but the side is blocked. The door is heavy in relation to the other sides, which is why tipping back isn't ideal, and forward isn't a good idea. Once the balance point is found, the other person will need to place rollers underneath, so the safe can be rolled to the new spot. You'll need to leave room to tilt at the ending position to remove the rollers.

Option 2: Use a 5-6' long pry bar to 'walk' the safe to the new spot. This is good to have anyway to fine tune the position.

Sturdy Safe has a good video on their site/YouTube channel on how to move a safe. In my company, I've moved a lot of safes.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/video-list

Last edited by TheGunGeek; January 19, 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:55 PM   #15
Prof Young

The rod or dowel thing . . .

The Rod or dowel things mentioned above. Seems to me should do it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 19, 2019, 09:21 PM   #16
joe45c

Other than what's been suggested on how to move it, i will say that's a nice Freebie your cousin ended up with.
Old January 20, 2019, 01:52 AM   #17
TruthTellers

I don't see gun safe topics that often, so my post isn't on how to move this safe as others have given good advice, but on safes in general.

IMO, having a gun safe isn't to make the contents of the safe burglar proof; a determined and skilled burglar can crack a safe in minutes. It's to make it difficult for the low skilled home intruder, keep guns out of a youth's hands, and/or to protect what's inside from a fire.

The latter is the main reason I want to own a gun safe. As such, I think it more sensible to own two small gun safes as opposed to one big gun safe.

Not everyone gets a gun safe for free and IMO bigger isn't always better. Spend your money wisely.
Old January 20, 2019, 07:13 AM   #18
unclejack37

Every thing said about pipes or dowels will work. "Walk Like An Egyptian" I would use black iron pipe and also purchase those end clamps for the pipes so You can use it as a clamp for those large glue jobs, and you can use them to move it again if you want.
Old January 20, 2019, 09:26 AM   #19
tallwalker

Sorry ahead of time, but ever since I saw your post all I have been able to think about is this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQ4dE_RGnQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 20, 2019, 09:41 AM   #20
NoSecondBest

I've moved huge machinery (40,000 lbs +) and I can tell you this thing is getting WAY over engineered. If it's on concrete and you don't have a dolly, just tip it and put some pipe under it and roll it. This isn't building the pyramids. As far as pushing it, haven't any of you guys ever pushed a car? They weight upwards of 4,000 lbs +. How hard were they to push?
Old January 20, 2019, 09:51 AM   #21
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest
I've moved huge machinery (40,000 lbs +) and I can tell you this thing is getting WAY over engineered. If it's on concrete and you don't have a dolly, just tip it and put some pipe under it and roll it. This isn't building the pyramids. As far as pushing it, haven't any of you guys ever pushed a car? They weight upwards of 4,000 lbs +. How hard were they to push?
++1 NSB is right!

You can call a safe moving company & they'll do it for you using pipes.
Old January 20, 2019, 09:57 AM   #22
mikejonestkd

Acc to the liberty website it weighs 880 lbs.
Remove the door and the case is probably 700 empty.
two guys can easily 'walk it' a few feet on the concrete floor, then put the door back on.
My crews in the commercial furniture world move loaded 4 hi fire king lateral files that are FULL similar distances with nothing more than furniture skates.
use rollers if you like, they are also a safe way to move it.
Old January 20, 2019, 10:45 AM   #23
2wheelwander

I have that model. Paid a guy $300 to pick it op from Gander Mountain, haul it here, set it in place, level it, and bolt it to the floor. As I recall it was under 900 pounds. The guy was good and knew what he was doing.

After rolling as far as he could with a pallet jack he tipped it to one corner at a time and walked it into place. He was in his 30's or so and this wasn't his first rodeo. He was in and out in less than an hour, had 3 more safes to do before lunch.
Old January 20, 2019, 12:19 PM   #24
buck460XVR

Look to rent a appliance dolly rated for the weight of the safe. Local DIY center here has them for $20 for half a day, rated for 1200#s.
Old January 20, 2019, 03:26 PM   #25
Pahoo

Rent a set of piano movers

A buddy of mine, use to sell Fort Knox safes and he used a furniture dolly to get them in and out of gun shows with little or no effort, or you can also rent a set of Piano Mover (carts) and it will keep you from tilting it too bad. All you have to do is get the foot of each mover under the edge on opposite sides, strap the movers together and away you go. Needless to say, you may wat to be sure it's empty. ….

When I got my safe, the trucking company set it on my driveway. I got the set under the safe and easily moved it I was even able to move it over a slight threshold. …..

Just went over to YouTube and see if any of this info, helps …..
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...moving+a+safe+

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 20, 2019 at 03:41 PM.