The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 2, 2010, 02:34 PM   #1
TheGoldenState

Metal Targets.

Basically what i want is a 18-24 inch metal target gong. I want to be able to hear it when i hit it. I have a platform that i want to hang it from (so it'd be about 4 feet off the ground). I do know you have to be careful tho as certain metals can dent rather easily which very bad (correct?). Not sure how thick it should be either?

As you can tell ive never ventured here before , so any knowledge and insight would be great. Im going to google it, but where is the best place to get these?

thanks.
Old December 2, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2
brickeyee

Range and caliber you plan on shooting with?
Old December 2, 2010, 06:40 PM   #3
TheGoldenState

Pistols primarily (45, .357 mag, 9mm, and the like), and as far out as i can learn to hit it!
Old December 2, 2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Softer metal targets get cratered quicker, and tend to send more bullet fragments back toward the line, rather than at 90 degrees.

At 100 yards plus pistol ammo is probably fine on softer steel, but always wear eye protection. I can't tell you how many times I've been hit.

Google "Pepper Poppers" some time- they're a blast.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Bob F.

Cratered targets are dangerous!! Soft steel craters with lots of stuff. Trooper buddy took a richocet(sp?) to the thight, darned near got his femoral artery. Sent him to surgery. Handgun round on a shot-up steel plate at relatively close range.

It's expensive, but get AR-500 steel, at least 3/8" thick. Settle for a smaller target rather than cheaper steel!! Shop around. Prices vary.

The experts will be along shortly.

Stay safe.
Bob
Old December 3, 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
TheGoldenState

Thanks for reinforcing what i was already thinking. I had heard that cratered targets were BAD.

Hopefully someone can provide me with a site where they purchased theirs.

Do i need to go smaller to get the thicker?
Old December 3, 2010, 12:43 PM   #7
JC5503

I get my target from http://arntzentargets.com/ they are good targets that last and are affordable. All the ones I bought shipped fast and have held up ive shot them with everything from 4/10 slugs to 7.62x54. They also have a page on their sight that explains the different types of metal and what you should buy for what cartridges your using.
Old December 3, 2010, 01:25 PM   #8
TheGoldenState

JC,

much appreciated!
Old December 3, 2010, 03:17 PM   #9
demigod

There is NO WAY you need 3/8" AR500 plate for pistol shooting. 1/4" mild steel works for a long time for everything but the hotter .357 loads. If money is no object and you don't mind the extra weight, go for it... but it's way overkill.

I have a torso sized 1/4" mild steel target that we've been shooting for 7 or 8 years now. It sometimes starts to get concave in shape, so we flip it arounds and shoot the other side of it.

For what you're talking about, any piece of scrap steel that's 3/8" thick will last you a lifetime.

Last edited by demigod; December 3, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:24 PM   #10
demigod

Quote:
I had heard that cratered targets were BAD.
Like Michael Jackson BAD... hee heeeee!!

Old December 3, 2010, 03:41 PM   #11
TheGoldenState

Yikes, hopefully you were far away lol

Looks like ill be needing AR400 for anything up to magnums and rifles in pistol calibers. Im looking at the 28inch Diameter circle @ 125$. Im going to do some more looking, this is just from JC's site. Not sure what prices are good, bad, and fair in the world of high grade steel targets.

Last edited by TheGoldenState; December 3, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Jimbo-Indy

For handguns I have had good luck with 1/4" stainless steel (type 304). I suspend mine with a strip of rubber conveyor belt. The stainless is hard enough to "ring" when hit. Holds up well to 44 Mag @ 50 yds.
Check with metal fab shops, especially those who work for the food processing or pressure vessel industry. They probably have pieces of drop (scrap) you can pick up cheap.
Old December 3, 2010, 05:30 PM   #13
JC5503

Golden state when I was shopping around for targets thats the lowest I could find so their might be some cheaper now. Also I tried looking for scrap around where I live and everybody was trying to make a buck so it was still cheaper to order from arntzen. I havent really looked anywhere else because everything went so smooth with them and I am really satisfied with what I got.
Old December 3, 2010, 05:42 PM   #14
g.willikers

Lots of inexpensive steel targets for handgun cartridges:

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Targ...1-f8f663723030
Old December 3, 2010, 06:17 PM   #15
jimbob86

Hey Y'all ......

Just a thought........

I'm thinking your targets would take less of a beating, and you'd reduce the chance of it ricocheting back at YOU if you'd just hang it in such a way as to cause the bullets to ricochet downwards- just attach a third wire to the bottom and raise it such that the top edge is closer to you than the bottom by several inches. Bullets will tend to follow the path of least resistance, and be deflected into the ground. It'd still go "Ding!", and you wouldn't have to worry about bullet fragments splashing back at you.

Then, if you want, you can start your own miniature lead mining operation every so often.....
Old December 3, 2010, 06:17 PM   #16
TheGoldenState

JC,
thanks again, glad to hear everything went smoothe. Im always weary buying online.

G. Wilks,

THe link has some very cool targets. It says "up to .44 mag, NO rimfire" It doesnt say the type of steel tho? Also, if you can use a .44 mag why cant you use a .22 rimfire???

thanks again
Old December 3, 2010, 06:20 PM   #17
TheGoldenState

Quote:
I'm thinking your targets would take less of a beating, and you'd reduce the chance of it ricocheting back at YOU if you'd just hang it in such a way as to cause the bullets to ricochet downwards- just attach a third wire to the bottom and raise it such that the top edge is closer to you than the bottom by several inches. Bullets will tend to follow the path of least resistance, and be deflected into the ground. It'd still go "Ding!", and you wouldn't have to worry about bullet fragments splashing back at you.
JB,

I plan on hanging the target from a target frame that i already have. Theoretically the target would sway in the direction your speaking of, but not placed in that position prior to being shot. Any downside with free hanging steel targets?

Last edited by TheGoldenState; December 3, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old December 3, 2010, 06:21 PM   #18
jimbob86

Old December 3, 2010, 06:22 PM   #19
TheGoldenState

Old December 3, 2010, 06:23 PM   #20
jimbob86

wrong quote?
Old December 3, 2010, 06:25 PM   #21
TheGoldenState

LMAO!

with the MACBook command V posts your last copy.

That quote is definitely the wrong quote from another ongoing thread. for obvious reasons i copy/pasted it and laughed. Its in the .40 vs .45 thread. I meant to quote yours
Old December 3, 2010, 06:30 PM   #22
JC5503

I got one of their 12" gongs I keep at the house and just have some cordage tied to it so I can carry it down into the field and hang and shoot when I want. I havent had any problems with it yet just free hanging ( knock on wood) Ive seen them hung with these http://www.craft-supplies-online.com...br=047-HOOK-72

But the idea of angling the target so it faces the ground is a good one Ive seen those before and their kinda cool

Oh and i didnt see were they mentioned .22 rimfire on the site??
Old December 5, 2010, 12:52 PM   #23
ethan95

1/4" ar-400 steel
Old December 6, 2010, 09:56 AM   #24
demigod

Quote:
Any downside with free hanging steel targets?
The only downside is if the stand isn't stable enough... they fall over if the gong gets to swinging too hard.

My chewed up gong in the pic above falls over when people shoot it with an AK or a 308 of some kind. The heavier bullets swing the gong more and make it fall over faster.