The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2019, 12:20 AM   #26
ZEBRARANGER

Same here, no issues getting ammo from local sources. Just wish prices were what they use to be before the last shortage.
Old February 6, 2019, 08:11 AM   #27
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEBRARANGER View Post
Same here, no issues getting ammo from local sources. Just wish prices were what they use to be before the last shortage.
Wasn't into guns at last shortage but I just got 500 rounds of 9mm and.380(250 each) for $107 shipped..$.21 per round.

White Birch Armory

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 6, 2019, 09:24 AM   #28
thallub

Local stores here are well stocked with ammo.

There has not been an commercial ammunition shortage in the US since WWII. There have been a couple ammunition buying panics brought on by rumors of presidents "gonna take our guns". i still have a couple types of centerfire primers hoarded during the Bill Clinton panic.
Old February 6, 2019, 09:45 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A friend sent me a link that suggests Connecticut wants to create another run on ammunition:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/con...h5AThQQ3LBg_Ss
Old February 7, 2019, 11:40 AM   #30
mr bolo

the ammo supply is also very plentiful in California, still reasonable prices, well stocked.
Old February 7, 2019, 12:22 PM   #31
SmellyShooter

I still buy ammo like a panic could happen any time. Due to poor timing I got interested in guns and shooting around Sandy Hook (year after I turned 18) and I had just gotten my first 22 and it wasn't fun having a total of 100 rounds of 22lr to my name. Now I am constantly buying ammo, even if its just in small amounts so that I can be constantly growing my stores. If you've ever read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, you'll understand the fear of running out of ammo.

-me
Old February 8, 2019, 02:20 AM   #32
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub View Post
Local stores here are well stocked with ammo.

There has not been an commercial ammunition shortage in the US since WWII. There have been a couple ammunition buying panics brought on by rumors of presidents "gonna take our guns". i still have a couple types of centerfire primers hoarded during the Bill Clinton panic.
Primers are great to have, but I see no indications that reloading supplies are under threat of being regulated, it's not even a talking point for the Anti's and how can it be? Not one mass shooting has even been perpetrated using ammo reloaded by the shooter.

I can't speak to how reloading supplies were during the post Sandy Hook panic events, but I don't think it was near as bad as getting .22 was. I have no problem with someone buying 5000 primers during a sale with free hazmat shipping included as it's a good way to save a few bucks.
Old February 8, 2019, 03:07 AM   #33
kozak6

There was no threat of .22 being regulated either, but look what happened there. The same thing happened with reloading supplies.

I'm with Truthtellers on this one. Supplies and prices are looking pretty great right now (locally and online), but the political pendulum is swinging back and swinging back fast.

At the very least, it would be a good idea to have a few thousand rounds of rimfire and a few thousand rounds of your favorite semiautomatic calibers on hand. And not even necessarily out of paranoia, as there have been some crazy sales on 9mm lately.
Old February 8, 2019, 01:45 PM   #34
TruthTellers

^ Cabela's has Herter's .45 ACP on sale 12.88/50 rd box. Damn good price and if you have a .45, I'd buy a lot of that ammo.
Old February 8, 2019, 03:52 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

There will be another shortage and it could be worse than the last ones. But we've all learned our lesson by now, right? I think ammo and components will remain in plentiful supply for the next year or so, perhaps until the next election cycle. The prices have gone down and although they may fall a little further, I wouldn't count on it. If you need anything, not just ammo, get it while you can. Even well fed Squirrels know to stash nuts for the future. How're your first aid supplies looking? Got a supply of spare batteries for your head-lamp? Ready for the electricity to go out for a week? The list goes on....
Old February 8, 2019, 04:03 PM   #36
joe45c

I'll be prepared better this time. Just picked up 5000 rounds of cci standard Vel. Have over 10k .22s now. Hope to have close to 50k by the time the next election takes place. Also have more powder, bullets and primers on hand. Hope it doesn't happen but if it does i'll be ready!