The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 23, 2019, 03:47 PM   #26
KyJim

Thanks to the link to the video of the new Hi-Point. Nice to know that same things stay the same --- it's a butt-ugly gun.
Old January 23, 2019, 11:07 PM   #27
Bill DeShivs

Dress up a pig.....

You still got a pig.
Old January 26, 2019, 03:34 PM   #28
Carl the Floor Walker

Obvious you want to bash the gun. I find your comments totally unnecessary and frankly low class.
As far as tactical, well maybe, I would say most are. Or it could be a way to get a nicer balanced carbine that is easy to shoot. I do not know much about he HIPOINT carbines, other than the time I was at the range and a guy was shooting one with excellent results. And this guy was no slouch to guns. I only wish I had his collection of CZ's, Sigs, and on and on. He had a lot of positive things to say about the Highpoint carbines. Seemed to know then inside and out. A very interesting conversation.
What a shame you could not have been there to debate him. Maybe you know more about HiPoints than he does, sounds like it. Maybe you have a Carbine 9mm that shot better. Would have loved to seen yours.
Old January 26, 2019, 07:01 PM   #29
Bill DeShivs

I said nothing about the Hi Point carbine, now did I?
Old January 27, 2019, 01:26 AM   #30
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Dress up a pig.....

You still got a pig.
All be it a rugged, reliable, accurate pig.
Were vehicles built by the Checker Cab Company ugly as a pig? Darn right. But just like a Hi-Point pistol they did what they were designed and built to do. Did it well, and did it reliably.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 27, 2019, 06:18 AM   #31
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Dress up a pig.....

You still got a pig.
Bacon is pretty popular and if Hi Point comes out with a similar .45 that holds more rounds than the current .45 does, still comes in under $200, and has a threaded barrel... people are gonna eat it up like pork fried rice.
Old January 27, 2019, 09:20 AM   #32
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1 View Post
Video of new Hi-Point from TFB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6QNezEUW0k
Fugly..but I like how Glocks look..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 27, 2019, 10:39 AM   #33
jglsprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1 View Post
Video of new Hi-Point from TFB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6QNezEUW0k
Oh my, I'm speechless. It's not for everyone, it will fill it's niche. Just not for me.

Commas save lives...
Old January 27, 2019, 12:01 PM   #34
Recoil spring

Thinking of getting one.

I am thinking of getting one, to be used as a sometimes shooter at the range but more for home protection. After reading about how the police can seize a gun if someone is shot and killed during a break in and maybe returning it later I am less likely to use my Glock 21 now. If it is a lone burgler I will use my Ruger LCP as it is the older model and inexpensive. if I have reason to believe the intruders are a mob and armed, heck yeh, I will use the Glock. But it would be nice to use the Hi-Point instead.

For 14 years (650 rounds put through it) I carried and shot a Raven (pot metal) P-25 chrome plated .25 ACP pistol and it served me well, sold it to a friend after the slide started to stretch and he wanted it for shop protection, the accuracy had fallen off but it was still 100% reliable. Best deal for only $65.00 new at the time. Got my money's worth.
Old January 27, 2019, 12:04 PM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Some people have to count every cent. That's the answer and they seem to work.

If you think someone with limited funds should have a better gun, buy it for them.
Old January 28, 2019, 09:29 AM   #36
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Some people have to count every cent. That's the answer and they seem to work.

If you think someone with limited funds should have a better gun, buy it for them.
Sometimes, it is not a matter of whether you can afford better or not. I bought a Hi-Point because it was the most affordable tool to do the job I bought it for. Why buy a more expensive higher quality tool when a more affordable tool will do the job? I retired debt free at 55 because I am a cheapskate and proud of it.
Old January 28, 2019, 11:29 AM   #37
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
Sometimes, it is not a matter of whether you can afford better or not. I bought a Hi-Point because it was the most affordable tool to do the job I bought it for. Why buy a more expensive higher quality tool when a more affordable tool will do the job? I retired debt free at 55 because I am a cheapskate and proud of it.
Because sometimes there are differences between the tools. I don't have anything against Hi Points or the people that buy them. They are not, in my experience, as reliable as other firearms. That has more to do with the magazines than the action. There is also the fact that for the size and weight you're not getting much capacity. As others have pointed out, there are some options that aren't that much more.

There's a line between recognizing that something works and not being willing to recognize its limitations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 28, 2019, 01:23 PM   #38
sigarms228

I see Hi Point pistols as the Harbor Freight brand of handguns. They work OK usually, are very affordable, and have a great warranty but they are not as good performers or reliable/durable as Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita. Not everyone can afford, has the need for, or appreciates tools like Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita.
Old January 28, 2019, 01:42 PM   #39
ttarp

Oh my goodness! That's hideous! I don't mind the way the Hi Points look, kind of an obese Hk P9 without rollers, but that new one really does look bad to me.

As far as the rest of it goes, its neat to see them make changes and add features without changing the price, they still have a better business model than just about any other manufacturer out there.
Old January 28, 2019, 03:21 PM   #40
Cheapshooter

Quote:
They work OK usually, are very affordable, and have a great warranty but they are not as good performers or reliable/durable as Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita.
The Hi-Points I have work far better than "OK", and do it always, not usually. Yes, they are quite affordable, and have an unbeatable warranty. As to performance, I have a C9 that is probably the most accurate 9MM I have. Amongst pistols from Walther, Beretta, Kahr, Glock, Star, FNH, and Sig. I also have a Hi-Point FMJ that shoots as well as any 45acp pistol I have from S&W, and Colt.
Harbor Freight afordability, with reliability, and performance well above average would be a much better description.
Old January 28, 2019, 05:41 PM   #41
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Lots of reports that the guns are decent for the money.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...down-mud-test/
Old January 28, 2019, 06:58 PM   #42
sigarms228

Even Hickok45 had repeated problems with the one he tested jamming. See about 8:35 in video. Hardly what I would call well above average performance and reliability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNx0Ql2ZZw

Any tests like this with the Hi Point Pistol? SIG SP2022 shot 5000 rounds flawlessly about as fast as the guy could shoot it. Measured temperature inside slide got to almost 350 F. I guess that is why the thick gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWxtXFy9FSQ

Last edited by sigarms228; January 28, 2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old January 28, 2019, 07:51 PM   #43
TunnelRat

https://youtu.be/flVBPpKG4zA

If the Hi Point fans can stomach the gentle ribbing in some of his comments, I think this is overall a fair review.

Again, I don't hate the pistols. I just won't go so far as to say they're as good as anything out there.

Old January 29, 2019, 10:48 AM   #44
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Tell a person in this situation to buy a Sig:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...e-land/581362/

That's the point of the Hi-point.

BTW, my NIB first gen Glock 42 jammed solid as a rock on the very first round.
Old January 29, 2019, 11:41 AM   #45
TunnelRat

Like I said I understand why people buy them and I don't hate them. But that doesn't make them the equivalent of other firearms. Is it better than not having a firearm? Sure and I think many are surprised how well they can work. But if the argument is they're the equal of anything on the market then we've gone passed appreciation and entered the realm of denial.

To go to Fishbed's earlier point, here is a S&W Shield for $250 shipped https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...o-thumb-safety. Now that's about $90 more than I can find the Hi Point. To me the difference in ergonomics, size (making concealment an option), trigger, sights, and in my experience and from what I've seen elsewhere reliability I think the cost difference is worth it. Someone may say, "I can't afford the $90". I get that, but I have to comment that $90 over the life of a firearm isn't much. If the argument is also that the person can barely afford $160, then I have to ask can that person afford ammunition to actually practice with the pistol? Because without any practice or instruction a pistol may be of limited use. It's absolutely your right to buy one, but just understand the limitations of trying to use a tool with no experience.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 29, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old January 29, 2019, 12:35 PM   #46
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Any tests like this with the Hi Point Pistol? SIG SP2022 shot 5000 rounds flawlessly about as fast as the guy could shoot it.
But if you do wear out a sig do they re place it with a new one? Hi-Point does.

Any Sig Pistols torture tested like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4&t=10s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg&t=85s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE
Or this?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZdUgBzh7Y
And this with warranty coverage?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KnoiheeGbM
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E&&FORM=VRDGAR
Old January 29, 2019, 12:44 PM   #47
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If the argument is also that the person can barely afford $160, then I have to ask can that person afford ammunition to actually practice with the pistol?
So now there is a financial test to exercise your Constitutional rights?
BTW, my C9 runs perfectly on the cheapest Chinese steel cased crap I can find. So I'm sure that after the $160, or less used, someone on a tight budget can get a box or two of ammo to learn, and practice.
I will bet there are plenty of Smiths, Rugers, Walthers, and even Sigs that get maybe one mag full, if that much, shot through them then put away. The price of the gun doesn't always relate to the amount of training and practice the owner does.
Old January 29, 2019, 01:07 PM   #48
nanney1

I wonder if the take down is easier on the new model for a basic field strip. I've often thought if I had current model, I would just lock the slide back, put some CLP on the rails and shoot it. Then when I needed to clean it, I would run a brush through it backwards, and spray it down with CLP and wipe it as best I could and let the CLP do the rest.

I also wonder if the current C9 will go away and this model will replace it. Or if the new model will be sold for a higher price? If they discontinue the C9 and this one sells for $159, they will sell a bunch of them.
Old January 29, 2019, 01:13 PM   #49
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
But if you do wear out a sig do they re place it with a new one? Hi-Point does.

Any Sig Pistols torture tested like this?
So your answer is no to such relevant tests on the reliability and durability of the Hi Point pistol, mostly silly YT abuse videos.

The SP2022 comes with a lifetime warranty and the French have bought over a quarter million of them for their police agencies after very extensive testing. Never heard of a SP2022 wearing out and rarely hear of any problem with the SP2022.

Warranty does one little good if the pistol craps out when you need it most.

Last edited by sigarms228; January 29, 2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 29, 2019, 02:04 PM   #50
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
So now there is a financial test to exercise your Constitutional rights?

BTW, my C9 runs perfectly on the cheapest Chinese steel cased crap I can find. So I'm sure that after the $160, or less used, someone on a tight budget can get a box or two of ammo to learn, and practice.

I will bet there are plenty of Smiths, Rugers, Walthers, and even Sigs that get maybe one mag full, if that much, shot through them then put away. The price of the gun doesn't always relate to the amount of training and practice the owner does.
It's fun that you ignored the point I make in the following sentence that explicitly says it's your right to own a firearm regardless.

It's my right in my state and locality to buy a katana and use it for home defense. If I never use or train with the katana my chances of doing well with it aren't as good as they might be otherwise. Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to own one? No, as I explicitly said about firearms above. One does have to be realistic though. If someone came to me and said they were going to buy a handgun, and IDC if it was a Wilson Combat, and told me they had neither the time or money to shoot or train with that pistol then I might suggest something else, even another firearm. Proficiency with firearms, especially handguns, isn't usually innate. This isn't the Music Man where we can think it in our heads and we'll play perfect music. It's our right to do whatever is within the scope of the law, but it's also prudent to consider our own limitations.

You're right that the cost of the firearm doesn't always directly indicate how much someone spends on ammo, but just because a person such as yourself exists it doesn't mean that the norm is to buy a Hi Point and then put hundreds of rounds through it either. If someone is willing to spend the money to shoot hundreds of rounds, then I'd again point to my comments above where I note that for not much more you could get a pistol that has, as I laid out, what I think could be seen as a number of advantages. Compared to the costs of hundreds of rounds of ammo that price difference starts looking less significant, at least to me, over the life of the firearm.

I've noticed a tendency in this thread to regard potential negatives about the Hi Point or cost considerations as judgements about the people that would buy them. The Hi Point is an inanimate object. It doesn't care what I or others think about it, and despite thoughts to the contrary it is possible to judge an object based on its merits without judging the people that buy it.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 29, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
Closed Thread