The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 4, 2019, 12:25 PM   #26
Captains1911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2009
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
this is where Glock should have gone with the .45acp. the G36 isn't [in my opinion] designed properly because it relies on the magazine base to complete the grip instead of simply completing the grip and using a flush fit magazine.
Today's market for sub-compact .45 pistols is negligible in comparison to 9mm.
__________________
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Expert, Project Appleseed Rifleman
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL
Captains1911 is offline  
Old January 4, 2019, 04:48 PM   #27
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 709
Never had any issue with plastic mags...like ever.
How’s the Sig 365 magazine intercompatibility with other Sig models?
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 4, 2019, 04:59 PM   #28
TunnelRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Never had any issue with plastic mags...like ever.

How’s the Sig 365 magazine intercompatibility with other Sig models?
Well SIG doesn't have multiple versions of the P365. I think the gripe here is why couldn't the 43 use the 43X magazines? A Glock 19 can use Glock 19X magazines. It seems that the frame differences are enough that 43X magazines won't insert into a 43 frame. Maybe that's just the way it had to be, but it would have been nice to have that option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
TunnelRat is online now  
Old January 4, 2019, 06:23 PM   #29
JJNA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 1, 2008
Posts: 230
I’m buying both once the inevitable teething problems are ironed out. I always asked for a single stack G19 and a G43 with a slightly longer grip. Close enough, these two.
JJNA is offline  
Old January 4, 2019, 09:25 PM   #30
TruthTellers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2016
Posts: 2,460
The G48 has me interested, which is a first for Glock. Normally I see their new guns and just see a company that's a one trick pony, but the G48 is unique enough that I'm paying attention. Usually when a company makes a slim 9mm they have this odd reason to chop the barrel down to 3 inches, but Glock is coming in and saying "No need to do that."

It's not that I feel a 4+ inch barrel is necessary for velocity, it's for the sights radius. I'm not hip to putting red dots on concealed pistols, adds to the size, weight, potential printing, etc, so I rely on standard sights to do any shooting. The longer the sights are for me, the better I shoot.

Whether the barrel is 3 or 4 inches, I'm not pocket carrying a 9mm, they're just too big for that. If it's going to be on the hip or in a shoulder holster, barrel length is irrelevant to me.

I'd say my biggest issue is that it's too thick. For a few millimeters more in width, I could carry a G19 with 15 rds.
__________________
Any good revolver > Any good semi auto
TruthTellers is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 07:57 AM   #31
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
Today's market for sub-compact .45 pistols is negligible in comparison to 9mm.
No kidding..yaking with the range guy yesterday..Mossberg is introducing a single stack 9mm handgun at ShotShow,..

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/mos...#axzz5bjnJdOMe
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 07:58 AM   #32
TxFlyFish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 18, 2011
Posts: 1,134
Here’s a scary thought. To improve shootability Sig should offer the P365X....20rounds 1 inch thick pistol
TxFlyFish is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 08:00 AM   #33
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Well SIG doesn't have multiple versions of the P365. I think the gripe here is why couldn't the 43 use the 43X magazines? A Glock 19 can use Glock 19X magazines. It seems that the frame differences are enough that 43X magazines won't insert into a 43 frame. Maybe that's just the way it had to be, but it would have been nice to have that option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I agree but have a -43? Buy a lower and make a -43x..or even a -48..pretty neat, IMHO.
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 08:07 AM   #34
TxFlyFish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 18, 2011
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
I agree but have a -43? Buy a lower and make a -43x..or even a -48..pretty neat, IMHO.
Yeaaa about that...that frame is gonna cost ya.

On a side note, the just announced mossberg MC1 takes g43 mags it will be interesting to see if mossberg can make an extended oem mag. If they succeed it would really eat into the G43X. You will have G43 owners buy mossberg extended mags...that would be a doozy

Last edited by TxFlyFish; January 5, 2019 at 08:13 AM.
TxFlyFish is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 08:27 AM   #35
OhioGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2016
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
The G48 has me interested, which is a first for Glock. Normally I see their new guns and just see a company that's a one trick pony, but the G48 is unique enough that I'm paying attention. Usually when a company makes a slim 9mm they have this odd reason to chop the barrel down to 3 inches, but Glock is coming in and saying "No need to do that."

It's not that I feel a 4+ inch barrel is necessary for velocity, it's for the sights radius. I'm not hip to putting red dots on concealed pistols, adds to the size, weight, potential printing, etc, so I rely on standard sights to do any shooting. The longer the sights are for me, the better I shoot.

Whether the barrel is 3 or 4 inches, I'm not pocket carrying a 9mm, they're just too big for that. If it's going to be on the hip or in a shoulder holster, barrel length is irrelevant to me.

I'd say my biggest issue is that it's too thick. For a few millimeters more in width, I could carry a G19 with 15 rds.
I always thought Springfield's XD-S 4.0 was a pretty good design. That was basically this G48, only with a shorter grip (but available extended magazines). Guessing it wasn't popular because they axed it from the lineup, but it was a very good shooter.

Maybe Sig will make a P365X, with the same dimensions as this new Glock, but with 16 round capacity
OhioGuy is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 09:00 AM   #36
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 709
One thing for sure...Lotsa offerings in EDC...seems the trend, for sure. Good for 'us'...
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 09:52 AM   #37
TunnelRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
I agree but have a -43? Buy a lower and make a -43x..or even a -48..pretty neat, IMHO.
Yeah at that point I'd just buy a new pistol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
TunnelRat is online now  
Old January 5, 2019, 10:27 AM   #38
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFlyFish View Post
Yeaaa about that...that frame is gonna cost ya.
I guess maybe. Really depends on how much of the 'guts' can transfer to the new lower..right now, lowers run $75 or so to $300 depending on completeness.
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 10:42 AM   #39
TxFlyFish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 18, 2011
Posts: 1,134
transfer fees and higher cost because these new frames are less available...I’m guessing around 150-200 when all settled

Or we wait for mossberg to come out with 10rd mag, stick it in G43 call it a day. There’s a good chance ...the reason they put “sc” in “MC1sc” most likely a full size is in the works
TxFlyFish is offline  
Old January 5, 2019, 10:50 AM   #40
Winny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2018
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 124
Quote:
Mossberg is introducing a single stack 9mm handgun at ShotShow,..
Good lord...
Winny is offline  
Old January 6, 2019, 07:37 AM   #41
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 709
Quote:
Here’s a scary thought. To improve shootability Sig should offer the P365X....20rounds 1 inch thick pistol
Glock 26/19..1 inch thick..15/17/33??
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 7, 2019, 03:05 AM   #42
ftttu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 27, 2011
Posts: 208
I think these pistols are a long time coming for Glock, however, I have no personal interest. My G42 and G43 with plus one magazine extensions fit my hand perfectly, and even though more rounds is a plus with the G43X and G48, I prefer the size of sub-compacts for daily carry.

Hopefully, they will eventually market G42s and G43s with similar slides.
ftttu is offline  
Old January 7, 2019, 10:13 AM   #43
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff
 
Join Date: November 17, 2000
Posts: 19,875
I want a G43X ish gun, chambered in 45 GAP. Just to make more of the Grip angle folks lose their minds and the Glock fans to cheer!

I'm such a kidder but it might be a fun gun.
__________________
NRA, TSRA, IDPA, NTI, Polite Soc. - Aux Armes, Citoyens
Glenn E. Meyer is online now  
Old January 7, 2019, 11:19 AM   #44
HighValleyRanch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 15, 2005
Posts: 3,213
So a glock 48 is a glock 19 the same width as the 43, and the 43X is the 43 short frame with the grip of the 48?

I like the mix and match concepts. I always wanted to build a glock 27 with the grip length of the 23.
__________________
From the sweet grass to the slaughter house; From birth until death; We travel between these two eternities........from 'Broken Trail"
HighValleyRanch is online now  
Old January 8, 2019, 07:57 AM   #45
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 709
Or better yet, a Glock 1911 in 45..
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 8, 2019, 05:49 PM   #46
Fishbed77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 23, 2010
Posts: 4,524
Quote:
It seems like these two models are focused on magazine restricted areas and shootability and not necessarily absolute concealability.
I see it as more of filling the market niche for someone that wants a full-grip gun (in the popular Glock 19 size) that is slimmer and easier to carry and conceal than double-stack pistols.

At one time, similar sized single-stack pistols were quite popular (Walther P38 & P5, SIG P6/P225, HK P7, Commander-sized 1911s, etc. The 10-round capacity of the new Glocks is quite favorable compared to these earlier pistols.
Fishbed77 is offline  
Old January 8, 2019, 06:10 PM   #47
TunnelRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
I see it as more of filling the market niche for someone that wants a full-grip gun (in the popular Glock 19 size) that is slimmer and easier to carry and conceal than double-stack pistols.



At one time, similar sized single-stack pistols were quite popular (Walther P38 & P5, SIG P6/P225, HK P7, Commander-sized 1911s, etc. The 10-round capacity of the new Glocks is quite favorable compared to these earlier pistols.
The parallels between these pistols and those old pistols really are interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
TunnelRat is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08366 seconds with 8 queries