The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Tn270

New Rifle - Maybe a Savage 116?

So after 25+ years hunting with my Remington 7400 .270 I'm thinking about getting a bolt gun. I looked at Savage Axis II xp at my local Academy, but the bolt must be almost 90 degrees, fingers almost hit he scope when working the bolt, can't image doing that with gloves on. I found a almost new Savage 116 that I haven't looked at yet and wondered what you guys think about them, specifically the bolt? Besides the Savage what other budget rifles would you consider? Anyone have experience with the Winchester XPR's? And how do you feel about the Ruger American vs Savage vs XPR? Thanks guys, looking for help deciding on which should be my next rifle. I love the smooth action of the tika stainless but the $789 price is a little too much for my wallet. thanks guys

Last edited by Tn270; February 3, 2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old February 3, 2019, 11:43 PM   #2
kilotanker22

The Savage 110 will have the same bolt lift as an axis.

The Ruger American seems to be pretty decent according to just about everyone who talks about them. Although it had a 60 degree bolt lift so it shouldn't get in the way as much.

The Winchester XPR is next on my list of rifles to buy. Has the same trigger and Barrels as the Winchester Model 70. (Cold hammer forged and button rifled.) Also has a 60 degree bolt lift.

I have handled both. The Winchester XPR had a nicer stock than the Ruger. Felt firmer and shouldered and held better for me.
Old February 3, 2019, 11:46 PM   #3
kilotanker22

Also worth noting I think is the fact that the Winchester has a broader range of calibers available.
Old February 4, 2019, 01:07 PM   #4
Tn270

Thanks for responding, I thought Savages probably had the same 90 degree bolt. What about the triggers on XPR anyone have any complaints?
Old February 4, 2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Tn270

I also just started seeing the Weartherby Weatherguard model with the grey cerakote on it. Anyone have any info on their Weatherguard they'd like to share and maybe how it compares to the Winchester XPR? I think i'll either stick to the 270 or get a 6.5 creedmore , can't decide which.
Old February 4, 2019, 02:07 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

A Savage Axis is a light weight(6.3 pounds), entry level, hunting rifle. It's bolt throw is 90 degrees. Still clears the scope though. The Package comes with a 40mm front Bushnell scope.
Old February 4, 2019, 02:49 PM   #7
kilotanker22

The Winchester XPR has the MOA Trigger. (Same as the model 70) the MOA trigger on my Model 70 was pretty good. Breaks clean and is adjustable.

The weatherby Vangaurd 2 has a 2 stage trigger that is actually pretty good. Although you will still have a 90 degree bolt lift.

The 90 degree bolt lift really isn't a problem if the appropriate bases and rings are used to mount the optic
Old February 4, 2019, 07:23 PM   #8
std7mag

"40 mm front"???
40mm objective??

People, me included, have been using a 90 degree bolt throw for over 120 years. (Well i'm not THAT old, but you get the picture)

Might want to think about the Tikka T3, or Browning ABIII.

To my knowledgethe Vangard series is essentially the Howa action, and it also is 90 degrees.
The Weatherby Mark V is 60 degree.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 4, 2019, 08:16 PM   #9
gw44

I have a 116 WW in 6.5x284 Norma that is a great gun has everything you could want in a bolt gun, and its good looking too !!!
Old February 5, 2019, 12:14 AM   #10
dgludwig

I've had my Savage Model 116 (SE), chambered in .338 Magnum for over twenty years and have been well pleased with it. I like the "controlled feed" this Model 110 variant has and the 3-position safety most, if not all, Model 110 iterations have.
My s/s Model 116 has been accurate and reliable. It has a checkered walnut stock, iron sights and a unique muzzle brake that can be turned off or on with a flick of the wrist. A good rifle I would feel comfortable taking anywhere and hunting anything in North America or around the world, wherever the caliber is deemed "legal".
Old February 5, 2019, 12:38 AM   #11
kilotanker22

Another rifle worth looking at is the Thompson Center Venture.

I have one in 270 WSM. They are an excellent rifle. Good trigger that is definitely serviceable. They also have a 5R rifled barrel. My 270 wsm shoots lights out.

They have a weather shield model. Available in both 270 win and the 6.5 creedmoor. It has a 3 lug, full diameter bolt that is very smooth. With a 60 degree bolt lift. Also the inline magazine feeds excellent. Even with the short and fat 270 wsm Cartridge.
Old February 5, 2019, 05:21 AM   #12
std7mag

Wait....
"Controlled feed".?
On a Savage?
I'm thinking not so much. Every Savage i've ever seen has been push feed.

Old February 5, 2019, 07:30 AM   #13
kilotanker22

The Savage wsm chambering are CRF. Or at least the 2 that I have had were. I believe that the 300 rum they made was also
Old February 5, 2019, 03:05 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
Wait....
"Controlled feed".?
On a Savage?
I'm thinking not so much. Every Savage i've ever seen has been push feed.
Regarding the "controlled feed" method of my Savage Model 116 SE, you'll recall that I said that it was a variant of the Model 110 bolt-action rifle. Quoting from the 1998 Savage Arms catalog describing the Model 116 SE: "...The stainless steel barreled action features Controlled-Round Feed, an Adjustable Muzzle Brake, special 3-leaf rear sight and a one-piece barrel band stud."
Old February 5, 2019, 04:47 PM   #15
Tn270

I'll have to give the Thompson Center a look see.
Old February 5, 2019, 07:01 PM   #16
std7mag

Hmmm,
I had no clue.
See, always learning!

Old February 6, 2019, 11:12 AM   #17
kilotanker22

I guess it was only the WSM and RUM savage models produced prior to 2009 that had CRF. It was bugging me so I had to look it up.

I know both of the Savage model 10 rifles I had in wsm calibers were CRF.
Also My New Haven Produced 270 WSM. (Not pre-64) is CRF
Old February 6, 2019, 08:08 PM   #18
Tn270

Found out there's a gun show in Knoxville the weekend of the 16th, guess I'll check that out and hopefully be able to see several different models in one place.
Old February 18, 2019, 06:13 PM   #19
Tn270

Well, I didn't make it to the gun show this weekend in Knoxville, but visited Buds Gun Shop while passing thru Sevierville, Tn. They didn't have a Weatherby Weather guard model, but I got my hands on several Ruger Americans, a Savage 110 and many others. I've ruled out the Winchester XPR, it just didn't feel right in my hands. The Savage 110 felt pretty good and so did a stainless Ruger American with a green stock. I handled one of those new bronze/camo Americans and actually liked the green/stainless version better. Oh well, hopefully I'll get to check out a gun show closer to home in the near future and in the meantime keep looking/researching.
Old February 18, 2019, 07:03 PM   #20
jmr40

Savage may have called their rifles CRF. But if the bolt didn't have an external claw extractor AND a fixed ejector they were not true CRF, and they did not. There is a LOT more to CRF than having the extractor snap over the rim before going into the chamber. Sako tries to use that terminology too, but they aren't CRF either.

The WSM cartridges were not a good fit for Savage actions. They only allowed 2 in the magazine+1 in the chamber. It was POSSIBLE to load 3 in the magazine, but you couldn't close the bolt that way to get 3+1. Or 3 in the mag with a cold chamber. Just a SWAG, but I'm guessing that those fat cartridges wouldn't chamber in a Savage without the extractor going over the rim right out of the magazine. It wasn't really designed to do that, just an accident that Savage used for creative advertising.

I like the Ruger Americans well enough, especially the short actions based on the Predator. They are still a budget gun and the standard 4 round rotary magazines are the weak link. The Predators in 308 and 6.5 CM are available with a version that takes the Accuracy International magazines. This is a HUGE step up in quality, reliability, and durability. The 6.5 CM will kill anything your current 270 will kill. If going with a Ruger that is the way I'd go.

I'd be looking pretty hard at a Tikka too. They run around $600 in blue and $700 in SS. You won't get a more accurate rifle under $1000.

Winston Churchill
Old March 18, 2019, 09:23 PM   #21
Tn270

So I went to a local dealer today and he has 2 new old stock Ruger Americans without scope and the rotary magazine in 270, 1 is stainless with a black stock and the other is tan cerakote with a tan camo stock, either for $399. He also has some new American predators green stock black matte finish in 6.5 creedmoor $429 without scope and $569 with a Vortex 4x12. Hmm, decisions, decisions... I don't like his selection of scopes, but I'm leaning toward the stainless 270 and I can pick up a scope later. Although a 6.5 creedmoor has really got my attention, I'm just not found of the American in a predator, it just seems like the barrel is too heavy for the gun and its balanced horribly.
Old March 18, 2019, 10:15 PM   #22
kilotanker22

Since the start of this thread. I have purchased both a Winchester XPR. And a Ruger go wild.

My XPR is walnut stocked. I won't compare it to the stock on the Ruger. Although the synthetic stock on the XPR is certainly stiffer and better feeling than the Ruger.

The Stockton my Ruger is the typical cheap flimsy type. (Go wild) although the finish of the super smooth action and barrel is very good on the Ruger. The Ruger also came with a Muzzle brake.

The trigger on the Ruger is ok. The MOA trigger on the Winchester is nicer. The Accutrigger on the Axis 2 is also nicer than the Ruger trigger.

The XPR has a better recoil pad than either of the others.
The Magazine with the Winchester is also better than the Savage or the Ruger mag (exception is the Ruger that takes the AICS mag)

If I were in the market for another budget gun. It would be another XPR with a walnut stock ($500) or a Remington 700 ADL ($379 Walmart). The XPR can also be had with a synthetic stock and a 4-12 Vortex for around $500.

Just some insight from what I have been doing the last 6 weeks
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 19, 2019, 04:53 PM   #23
std7mag

Since the start of this thread, i've put money down, and made a first payment on a Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Based on an "improved" Mauser action, it has a 90 degree bolt throw.
I've never had an issue with a Savage bolt lift with any of my scopes.
But then again, i use EGW 20 MOA one piece bases, with low rings. Even for my 50mm objective on my Sigjtron.

Psst. Don't tell the wife, but i also ordered a CZ 720. Semi auto 20 gage.

Old March 19, 2019, 08:26 PM   #24
Tn270

I know the Winchester XPR gets good reviews, but the more I think about it, I really want an American made gun and the only XPR I've been able to find locally was at Bass Pro and it was an ugly camo version I didn't like. There's another gun show in close to home the last weekend of March, hopefully I'll get there.
Old March 20, 2019, 02:36 AM   #25
std7mag

Hopefully your gun shows are better than the local ones around here! Total waste of $7 to get in the door!
The "flea markets are just as bad price wise.
I get better deals from my local gunshops. And i help support someone local.

The days of the pawnshop are pretty well done here also.