The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 9, 2018, 04:45 AM   #51
Husqvarna

Combination Guns rule!

My most regular hunting (my longest season) is done with a o/u in 12g/6,5x55, we are out for roe, fox, hare even boar

Or it is what I take when just out in the woods for no particular reason

With buck or slugs i am confortable even doing road work For the cops after injured boar /bear struck in traffic. It is like a poor mans double rifle

With a fmj and birdshot it is great for treetopp birds
Old May 9, 2018, 08:48 AM   #52
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husqvarna View Post
Combination Guns rule!

My most regular hunting (my longest season) is done with a o/u in 12g/6,5x55, we are out for roe, fox, hare even boar

Or it is what I take when just out in the woods for no particular reason

With buck or slugs i am confortable even doing road work For the cops after injured boar /bear struck in traffic. It is like a poor mans double rifle

With a fmj and birdshot it is great for treetopp birds
There's a thought! I hadn't thought of shotgun for close shots

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 9, 2018, 10:03 AM   #53
Husqvarna

We hunt with Dogs like dachshound, beagle, basset etc, even some with my terrier

So it is a driven hunt, if they run past you (driven by the dog) within 30yards they get some lead from the shotgun barrel

If they just pop up up, 120or so yards away (walking away because they have heard the Dogs) you have time to aim and get them with the rifle barrel i limit myself to 120 on roe because i most often just have a reddot mounted, i have a fixed 6x with qr mounts but you cant really shot shot with that

If you are fancy or rich you have a drilling 12/12/rifle calibre

Some pro hunters use a reverse drilling with 2 rifle barrels and one shotgun
Old May 9, 2018, 04:10 PM   #54
the possum

Quote:
If you are fancy or rich you have a drilling 12/12/rifle calibre
I see a number of used Drillings fetch $800-$1200 on Gun Broker. While they're not cheap, we talk about plenty of guns on these forums in that price range. When I think of a "rich man's gun", I envision a $70,000 gun from Holland & Holland, Perazzi, or so on. I actually own 2 Drillings; paid $200 for one & $700 for the other.
Old May 9, 2018, 05:06 PM   #55
FITASC

Drillings are not expensive and are very versatile; many folks will take one of the shotgun barrels and put a .22lr or .22wmr insert in it to give then three options - a rimfire round for small game, a 12 or 16 bore barrel for winged game and a centerfire for larger game
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa