The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 18, 2017, 01:33 AM   #1
jonnefudge

Higher velocity premium barrels?

Hi!
Does premium barrels like bartlein, lother walter etc. give higher velocities compared to stock/lower end barrels? Obviously compared to same length and rifling. If that's the case, why?

/jonne
Old August 18, 2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Mobuck

Personally, I've seen no rhyme or reason in the velocity of any given barrel.
Logically, it would seem that a smoother bore finish "should" correlate with faster bullet speed. In practice, I don't see that correlation-- a trend maybe but a direct, uniform, cookie cutter response not so much.
Old August 18, 2017, 05:41 AM   #3
jmr40

Generally yes, they do shoot a little faster.

It isn't always the case. Common factory barrels are often just as precisely built and will be as accurate and achieve the same speeds as the custom barrels. But factory barrels aren't as consistent. Some are, some aren't.

It is not unusual to see 20-50 fps difference between two factory barrels shooting ammo out of the same box and I've seen as much as 130 fps. This is because the dimensions of the chambers and barrels are less accurate when manufactured.

Winston Churchill