The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 4, 2002, 08:11 AM   #1
Jay C

IDPA in CT? How do I get involved?

I live in CT and am newer to the shooting community. This IDPA sounds like EXACTLY what I have been looking for. How do I find out about if this exists in Connecticut. Are ther any CT shooters that can point me in the right direction? I also was curious does my P7M8 qualify of will I need another? SW? Glock etc.

Thanks for the help
Old October 4, 2002, 08:45 AM   #2
DDGator

I havent shot my first IDPA match yet, but check out www.idpa.com -- it has the rule book relating to equipment and also links to IDPA clubs in each state.
Old October 4, 2002, 08:56 PM   #3
tommygun45

Check with IDPA.com . If you are close to the NY border there are club matches held in Dutchess county at DCPA on the third saturday of the month. For other clubs in the New England area check withDownzero.com the sight is affiliated with the Smith & Wesson defensive pistol league.
Old October 6, 2002, 07:49 AM   #4
KPS

There are also some CT shooters that attend an informal IDPA shoot avery 3rd Sunday of every month here in MA at www.bassriver-gunclub.com .
Old October 6, 2002, 12:04 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Looks like you are getting some leads on locations.

Equipment: Your P7M8 will be fine. It will put you in Enhanced Service Pistol Division because of its Single Action-Like trigger. You will occasionally be at a slight disadvantage against the 10-shot guns there, but don't worry about it; familiarity is worth more, at least to start with. Otherwise, you will need 3 magazines minimum; more is better if you have them but don't lay out a lot of money for more until you are in the sport to stay.

A strong-side holster; belt, paddle, or IWB are ok. The website has a list of specifically approved makes and models but nobody checks vs the list. Even at the Nationals they just look to see that the type is normal for concealed carry and is placed behind the side centerline (pants seam, usually.) Magazine carrier, one double or two single, to be worn on the off side, behind center.

Concealment garment. A photographer's vest or bush jacket is standard, almost a cliche. But anything that covers your gun and ammo will do. A shirt a size large and starched to sweep aside without wrapping around your arm will work about as well as anything else.

Eye and ear protection, of course. Ball ammo is good; as cheap as you can get reliable stuff. Accuracy requirements are not great, but it has to work, no alibi reshoots are allowed for shooter's equipment malfunctions.

Attitude: Pay attention. You will get plenty of help as a new shooter, just follow instructions.
I have four priorities:
1. Safety. Don't hurt anybody, don't scare anybody, don't get disqualified for safety rule violations.
2. Execution: Shoot the Course of Fire as instructed. Do the best you can within the description, but don't get "gamey" trying to shade the rules and don't get confused or lost on the field.
3. Accuracy: Hit the targets, hit them in the middle. Hit them in the head when required to.
4. Move along: Your time is your score (assuming you get good hits and avoid penalties) so don't dally around. You are new so do not run before you walk, LITERALLY, and mind priorities 1, 2, and 3, but try to be brisk and smooth without rushing.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:35 PM   #6
newbie 9mm

I shoot IDPA up at S&W in Springfield, MA. I think I'm going up there tomorrow night, too Also, at New England Outfitters in Wallingford, they are supposed to have IDPA 1st and 3rd mondays of each month, but call first. I went, and the guys cancelled it, so I just shot at the range for an hour

As for the other stuff. HK P7 should be fine, I use a glock because its the only gun i have Most of the people at the S&W use a glock, some use revolvers, some 1911's, and some S&W, and a few sigs here and there. I have an uncle mikes kydex belt holster, and a double mag case. For conceal, i use a light jacket, or a long tshirt now that i have an IWB holster from DeSantis I have 4 10 rd mags, and a high cap for the start, so i can put 11 in and just rack slide and have the full 10+1. you def want 4 mags at least. I also bought a surefire Z2 for the dark stages they have, went to hoffmans sale, 10% off everything!!! Def need eyes and ears, and at S&W, you need a hat, usually baseball due to the low ceiling.
Old May 18, 2004, 08:55 PM   #7
Deadman514

I shoot at New England Outfitters. I'd like to get into IDPA. Guess I'll ask next time I head out there. I carry a PO P14 -looks like I'll have to leave half a mag in the box
For you guys who shoot in MA -what are the rules concerning driving to the match? Springfield is just across the border but as far as I know -taking my pistol into MA is a no-no.

Last edited by Deadman514; May 18, 2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old May 19, 2004, 07:58 AM   #8
newbie 9mm

I shoot all of the time at NEO during the day (I work 3rd shift), but havent been to IDPA there yet. Since I posted, I have dumped my glocks due to a few problems i had with them, and now own a 7 shot revolver and a SIG p239 in .40. May try it with the SIG. As far as MA is concerned, gun locked, unloaded, ammo seperate, you can go to MA and back for competition, just no CCW.
Old May 25, 2004, 12:30 PM   #9
trebuchet

I realize this is posting YEARS after the other post, but I am also interested in shooting IDPA at NEOR ( with a revolver ) If anyone wants they can drop me an email.
Old June 5, 2004, 08:12 PM   #10
jdkelly

Firearm transportion in Massachusetts

Deadman514,

I'm not a lawyer. I understand that you may enter Massachusetts with your handgun if:

1) You are licensed in your state

2) You transport the unloaded handgun in a locked container. (a locked container in your locked trunk is better)

3) You transport you ammo in a locked container separate form your handgun

4) You may go directly to, and directly home from a "Posted" competition (Don't be caught down the cape if you are traveling between Hartford and Springfield) Posted can include the internet.

Respectfully,

johnke
Old June 6, 2004, 11:04 AM   #11
jerryd

Check out www.bridgeportshootingrange.com