The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 8, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
PDBreske

MOA vs. Mil scope adjustments/scope suggestions

I've been looking for a scope with a mil-dot reticle and 0.1 mil E&W adjustments, but so far the only one I have found is the new Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP (which also is available with MOA reticle/adjustments). In fact, the only thing I don't like about the Falcon is the fact that the turrets are good for 60 clicks of adjustment per full turn, which seems like it might lead to confusion when adjusted past one or two turns while trying to keep track of the total.

I see a lot of scopes that offer mil-dot reticles with 1/4 or 1/2 MOA adjustment turrets. Is there some advantage to this combination?

Does anyone know of any other scopes that are fully metric with mil-dot reticle and mil adjustments? For the purposes of this thread, let's pretend price isn't a factor — the sky's the limit.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by PDBreske; December 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Clarified mil adjustments on Falcon scope
Old December 8, 2008, 09:57 PM   #2
cookhj

I don't know of that many scopes that have MOA adjustments, but I think it's a great idea for mildot reticles. Makes it easier to calculate your dope.
Old December 9, 2008, 10:20 AM   #3
PDBreske

For anyone who might be following this thread to learn what I'm learning, I've found a few more scopes that are available with Mil-dot reticles and Milrad turrets:

NightForce scopes are available with both, but none of the NF scopes have a First Focal Plane reticle as far as I can tell. The Second Focal reticles are okay, but for the price of the NF scopes I would expect at least the option of FFP.

Schmidt & Bender have every combination of reticle and turret adjustment you can think of and are all FFP reticles, but they can cost up to $3000 (or more). I'm not against the idea of spending three grand for a scope that will last a lifetime, but I'd obviously prefer to save some of that for other things. Like food and mortgage payments.

I'll keep looking....
Old December 16, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4
ZAT

I know that IOR offers their 3-18X42 scope with the MP-8 reticle and mil knobs. They may offer some others as well. Zeiss also offers some scopes with the mil knobs. I would presume that a good number of European scope makers would offer mil knobs on their scopes. US Optics should also be Ble to give you what you want for a price though.
Old December 16, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
PDBreske

After much research and financial planning, I ordered the Falcon scope. I figure the money I save now can go toward really nice rings and a base, and if I decide to upgrade I'll save for a Schmidt & Bender with all the bells and whistles. Since I haven't read any reviews of the Falcon with metric turrets, I'll be sure to post a report after I get it zeroed in.