The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 17, 2018, 12:46 AM   #1
GamestopDorito

Anyone have any experience with the Vector carbine?

So I rented a Vector pistol at the range and absolutely loved the big goofy thing. The .45 version I rented had negligible recoil and shot very flat. So I looked into it and really liked the idea of the carbine version.

I know it's expensive as heck compared to most pistol carbines. Does anyone have any experience with the Vector carbine? There aren't any to rent around here, so I come to you guys with more experience. Does that huge barrel make it unwieldy?

Also, even if you haven't shot it before, if you were buying a carbine with a choice between a .45, 9mm, and 10mm which would you choose?
Old August 17, 2018, 01:42 AM   #2
marine6680

If all you want is a range toy... Go for it.

Pistol caliber carbines can be fun to shoot. 9mm ammo is cheaper than most rifle ammo, making it less expensive when you go to the range.

Extra barrel will always throw off the balance on a firearm not designed with that in mind.

As a practical firearm, a PCC isn't going to be able to make up for it's lower power compared to a rifle, by having a high rate of fire.

The vector design is bulkier and more complicated than other PCCs, in a full auto this design gives you some benefits, but those benefits don't really come into play on a semi auto.

If you want one, get one... I like PCCs as a fun range toy. They wouldn't be my first choice for anything else.

Caliber wise... 9mm is cheap and easy to find anywhere.
Most handgun ammo is loaded for barrels that are under 6in, so they don't really gain that much from an extra 10in of barrel. When it comes to hollow point ammo, the velocity gain can make the bullet performance worse.

The 10mm would likely be the caliber that could gain the most from the longer barrel, and an experienced reloader may be able to make special loads for a long barrel that really wring out some performance from 10mm. That's speculation though... 9mm is the best choice of you want to maximize time at the range.
Old August 17, 2018, 01:42 AM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

The design is heavy & extremely unwieldy in a carbine, no comfortable way to carry it in the hand.
Denis
Old August 17, 2018, 02:15 AM   #4
GamestopDorito

Thanks guys!

This would be a range toy for sure, and I know the super V is really best for full auto, but it was still beneficial to rapid fire semiauto.

I'm not opposed to spending more for the ammo. Might be fun to try it with the 10mm on an outdoor range.

Would a foregrip mitigate the unwieldiness? I thought the pistol version was very comfortable even though it's such a big gun, but that huge barrel on that carbine seems like it really might make the carbine poorly balanced or hard to manage for the Vector.
Old August 17, 2018, 10:47 AM   #5
marine6680

It would likely be noticeable, but it should ruin it completely.

Currently, you could buy the pistol version, and then attach an SB Tactical brace, and have something very close to the original version. Shouldering a brace is currently allowed, so it's a good way to go.

Unless you just need something the 10mm version can give, that the 9mm can't, stick with 9mm.
Old August 17, 2018, 10:48 AM   #6
marine6680

It would likely be noticeable, but it should ruin it completely.

Currently, you could buy the pistol version, and then attach an SB Tactical brace, and have something very close to the original version. Shouldering a brace is currently allowed, so it's a good way to go.

Unless you just need something the 10mm version can give, that the 9mm can't, stick with 9mm. More bullets for the same money is usually best when it comes time to hit the range. 9mm is available in larger amounts in more stores too.
Old August 17, 2018, 03:16 PM   #7
GamestopDorito

Oh, it's totally legal to shoulder a tactical brace? I thought that was frowned upon. I'm still figuring all this stuff out.

The pistol with a tactical brace is probably closer to what I want then. Thank you!