The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2018, 08:25 AM   #1
redlightrich

STI Poly Grip 2011 Mag Release?

Hello all, I am working with a friend to fix his STI, in which the mag release catch seems to have worn away the polymer key cut which holds it in place.

On a 1911, the mag release catch rotates into a metal key cut.

On the 2011, this is not only a key cut in polymer, but also about .030 further towards the center of the gun ( i guess this was done for additional support) , which limits the travel of the mag release a similar amount.
He bought a fusion "extended" mag release, along with a new STI poly grip assembly, but this problem persists. I believe it will only be a matter of time before this poly grip fails as well.

To address the restriction of mag release movement, we can lengthen the cut in the mag release itself ( the cut that allows the catch to enter, and also acts as a stop) which will allow it to travel further, and install a slightly weaker spring.
For the mag release catch, we carefully removed the very sharp edges from the tab, as not to continue to cut the polymer.
The Poly Grip from STI is fairly expensive, so this issue needs resolve.

Please note, he does not have the original STI mag release components. This gun was fairly heavily modified for competition, so warranty is not an option.

Does anyone have any experience with STI 2011 and poly grip mag release issues?

Thank you

Rich
Old March 9, 2018, 07:41 AM   #2
redlightrich

No one has encountered anything like this?

Did I offend someone, or is it that STI isn't popular enough to have these type issues arise on a widespread scale?

I have only found a few instances of this on the interwebs, but I know it exists.

I have ideas on how to work thru this, but was hoping to find some experience here.
Old March 10, 2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Dufus

I have never heard of this on any STI guns, but since, by your words, it is heavily modified, it could have been botched up during the process. Not really sure what you mean by heavily modified anyways.

Prolly as well, due to the premium costs of most STI firearms on the retail side of it, not that many folks own that brand.

Retailers generally have the buying public by the balls and can ask what they want for them, which is around a 200% markup over the manufacturers cost of making them.